What are your thoughts on the Harry Potter film Franchise?

Tools    

The entire series is vastly overrated by fans.
What are you speaking of here? The films only?

A very clear majority of the Potterheads I know prefer the books, myself included. but that's simply because the books are absolute masterpieces. it would never have become the phenomenon it is today if the films were straight mediocre.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

A very clear majority of the Potterheads I know prefer the books, myself included. but that's simply because the books are absolute masterpieces. it would never have become the phenomenon it is today if the films were straight mediocre.
I wasnt a fan but for anyone to claim the book series is overrated is pretty ludicrous. It's not overrated to the millions upon millions of kids and adults who enjoyed them. I think the word overrated is overrated. My SiL was teaching at the time and this was on the curriculum which was very successful.

OT: nice call name and avatar by the way!

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.

I enjoyed the movies, although there is a lot missing that was included in the novels such as Hermione's campaign to free the house elves and her turning Rita Skeeter into a bug and imprisoning her in a glass jar. The one thing I found disappointing in the movies was the absence of Peeves, the troublemaking ghost whose finest hour came during the O.W.L. exams in the novel Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Great moment. I read the books before watching the movies. Oh, and, of course, there was the initial presentation of the Beauxbatons at the Quidditch match in the novel Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. My mind conjured up a rather adult interpretation of that scene.

F.Y.I. Wizards and witches are cautioned not to sit too long in front of the TV or else their ears may become infested with Wrackspurts.

I think I'll just have some pudding.

I wasnt a fan but for anyone to claim the book series is overrated is pretty ludicrous. It's not overrated to the millions upon millions of kids and adults who enjoyed them. I think the word overrated is overrated. My SiL was teaching at the time and this was on the curriculum which was very successful.
I agree. You don't sell over 500 million books by accident. It's by far the biggest literary phenomenon of all time, and quite possibly the biggest cultural phenomenon of all time on a global scale. Something hit so hard with this series that we won't see anything match the same level of popularity worldwide in our lifetime, possibly ever.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I agree. You don't sell over 500 million books by accident. It's by far the biggest literary phenomenon of all time, and quite possibly the biggest cultural phenomenon of all time on a global scale. Something hit so hard with this series that we won't see anything match the same level of popularity worldwide in our lifetime, possibly ever.
I think it's fantastic. Much better than the 50 shades of garbage phenomenon. It's great it created a subculture of potheads (hey that came out the wrong way but you know what I mean) and got parents openly discussing and trying to change a culture where bullying was swept under the carpet.

Correct. The films are overrated.

Correct. The films are overrated.
When they make up one of the highest-grossing film series of all time, it doesn't take a whole lot for them to be considered overrated. They'd have to be bloody perfect not to be considered overrated.

It's unfortunate they had to leave out this character because of all the time constraints. Loved him in the books. I feel like they put some of his energy and presence on Filch in the films. Apparently, Columbus really wanted to include the character, but he ended up with a physical look they weren't quite satisfied with, so they cut him out.

Ghouls, vampires, werewolves... let's party.
Apparently, Columbus really wanted to include the character, but he ended up with a physical look they weren't quite satisfied with, so they cut him out.
It probably would have cost a fortune in special effects too.

I don't actually wear pants.
I enjoy them, but I'm a little burnt out on them, because my wife loves to watch them frequently. While good, they aren't good enough to watch all eight films eight times a year. I'd rather watch Human Condition trilogy that many times.