Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

Maybe you'll like the new one with Brendan Fraser
I thought you meant a new version of The Wrestler, but starring Brendan Fraser, and for a moment I was really confused, slightly put off, but also intrigued by that idea haha.

I was kind of disappointed when google told me it was just a new, unrelated Aronofsky film. It's called The Whale, apparently.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I thought you meant a new version of The Wrestler, but starring Brendan Fraser, and for a moment I was really confused, slightly put off, but also intrigued by that idea haha.

I was kind of disappointed when google told me it was just a new, unrelated Aronofsky film. It's called The Whale, apparently.
I mean, it looks like he's a Sumo wrestler in it. So that wouldn't be far off.

The Age of Innocence (1993)

Historical costume drama - oh no. Martin Scorsese - oh yes. Rated PG - oh no. Daniel Day-Lewis and Michelle Pfeiffer - oh yes. Winona Ryder - oh no. A lot of reason for trepidation going into this, but also reason for hope.

This is on the Ebert list, and I quickly felt better about the costume drama part after realizing it was late 1800's New York rather than some British castle a century earlier.

Newland, played by Day-Lewis, is set to marry May (Ryder). It's not that they don't love and care for each other, but it's more about high society, class, and who you're "supposed" to be with. Very early on Newland meets May's cousin played by Pfeiffer and there's immediate chemistry. Of course this is a realistic drama because if he was suddenly smitten with anyone played by Ryder then this would be some kind of horror fantasy. The cousin's reputation is not the best as she's coming off a failed marriage to someone she wasn't "supposed" to be married to. She also thinks for herself (OMG).

There is no sex, violence, swearing, or anything improper in this movie. It's all very proper and subtle, probably a little too subtle for me, but that's kind of the point. The characters have dilemmas of the heart and I thought that was the heart of the movie. I'm a little torn on how much I enjoyed it and got out of it, but it's masterfully done. It looks amazing. I would need to be able to engage more in order to love it and that's definitely possible in the future, especially now that I realize what it's all about.

I almost forgot, there's those high society dogs in it-pomeranians!

The Ryder hate is killing me.

Definitely another movie I need to rewatch. Scorsese and Lewis though, I liked it tge first time but there’s still nowhere to go but up.

The Ryder hate is killing me.

Definitely another movie I need to rewatch. Scorsese and Lewis though, I liked it tge first time but there’s still nowhere to go but up.
I've liked a couple of movies she's been in but the only movie I remember liking her in is Edward Scissorhands.

I've liked a couple of movies she's been in but the only movie I remember liking her in is Edward Scissorhands.
Definitely a teen celebrity crush for me. Her real life personality really destroyed the facade though.

Definitely a teen celebrity crush for me. Her real life personality really destroyed the facade though.
I was into Michelle Pfeiffer after Married to the Mob

Toshiro Mifune stars in The Hidden Fortress as a defeated General looking to sneak his princess, and a several bundles of gold, through enemy territory, back to her home. If discovered they will surely be killed and it sounds like beheading is the manner of execution. However, before we meet the General we catch up with two greedy, dimwitted peasants looking to make a quick buck. It just so happens that every scheme they come up with turns out not working very good for them. They're latest scheme - hunt down the princess and collect the reward. There's no way these two could possibly do that but they try which leads them right into The General. The General initially figures these two dolts are of no use but later realizes that they MAY be useful and off the four of them go. The princess, acting as a mute (she's a bit of a fireplug and the minute she says something, well, "YOU BLEW MY COVAHHH!!"), the two peasants looking for anyway to ditch the general and steal the gold and the General trying to hold it all together. Of course it doesn't go smooth and that's good, for us, the viewer.

This is a highly entertaining movie. I love Kurosawa's sense of humor and this is the funniest movie from him I've seen so far, thanks in large part to the two peasants. It has action but with the exception of one pretty long spear fight, most of it is quick. The General is no joke when it comes to disposing of potential threats and it's also kind of humorous how things that seem to be setbacks actually end up working in favor of the traveling foursome. This may be the most fun movie I've watched so far but is it the best? It's up there.

Just the opposite for me. Never thought much of her when she was young but she's a celebrity crush now. What was wrong with her real life personality? Other than being a bit of a thief I never heard anything else about her.

Just the opposite for me. Never thought much of her when she was young but she's a celebrity crush now. What was wrong with her real life personality? Other than being a bit of a thief I never heard anything else about her.
It’s really just that but even when she talked about it’s like she doesn’t realize how entitled she sounds. Obviously I don’t know her and this is just all surface level garbage, but so are celebrity crushes so I thought it was worth mentioning.

I watched Dheepan (2015) today. Directed by Jacques Audiard, the film stars Jesuthasan Antonythasan, Kalieaswari Srinivasan, and Claudine Vinasithamby. It's a drama about three strangers who pose as a family to escape war torn Sri Lanka and immigrate to France. Dehhpan won the Palme d'Or at the Cannes Film Festival. I thought this film was pretty good, but not great. The first half of the film was the strongest part. Some of the story elements in the later part of the film didn't completely work for me. Performances were good from the three main actors. The story had some interesting moments, but overall I felt it could have been more compelling. There were a lot of other better films in 2015, so this wouldn't have made my list of best films of 2015. I've only seen one other film by Audiard, which was The Prophet, but I was severely underwhelmed by that one. For me, Dheepan is a much better film than The Prophet. I think this was a bit of a risky choice for me. I did appreciate and like the film, but didn't love it and wasn't blown away by it. My guess is that Siddon nominated this for me, but I could be wrong.

I was mixed on Dheepan as well. Think he’s a good director though. The Sister Brothers and Rust And Bone are both pretty interesting films. He’s certainly doing some original things. I need to check out Paris 13th District soon. I have heard some good things.