Part of a movie poster

Tools    

Hi all,

I have a small section of a movie poster that was in a collage. It looks very familiar but I can by all means not find the full movie poster or the name of the actual movie.

Can anyone help me out?

I'm afraid not. It's out of a collage with like hundreds of these small sections.

What is the poster about? I mean, is there a theme or link between the films in the collage?

No it can be anything, I recognized all the others so it shouldn't some super obscure Romanian arthouse movie. They were all either classic, oscar winning, or just very recognizable. Worst case scenario the movie is Dutch (as the collage was made in the Netherlands).

It however doesn't have to be the main object on the movie poster. For example: I recognized the Wall-E poster by a robot hand holding a plant, I recognized the Le Mans poster from the car with 20 on it, recognized the Pulp Fiction poster by the hand with the cigarette, stuff like that.

It's frustrating me immensely that this is the only part I couldn't retrieve.

Other that this, I don't have anything to go on. Not a genre, not an actor, only lead I have that all movies were 'famous enough' to justify giving such a small part of the poster.

My first thought is that it looks like Spike Milligan. He did serve in World War II, but I don't think he was ever in a war movie.
Also makes me think of William Hartnell. He often played "Sergeant" characters.
I think we can be pretty sure it is an army/war movie, and probably shot in black and white.

While I cannot recommend an appropriate military forum for doing so, you might want to try asking for help elsewhere in identifying the device on the beret. It is very unusual compared to the typical badges one sees and might serve to identify the nature of the movie's plot.

While I cannot recommend an appropriate military forum for doing so, you might want to try asking for help elsewhere in identifying the device on the beret. It is very unusual compared to the typical badges one sees and might serve to identify the nature of the movie's plot.
I'm also leaning towards it being a beret, but the cap is so dark and indistinct, we might want to consider a Kriegsmarine cap.

Back to the beret. If it's a WW2 movie, British & German tankers wore berets. French Resistance & Free-French army wore berets.

The device on the beret appears to follow the cuve of the cap, so it might be a cloth, and not metal, insignia of some type.

The device on the beret appears to follow the cuve of the cap, so it might be a cloth, and not metal, insignia of some type.

I definitely agree. I suspect that it may be a military engineers device of some sort -- but from what country and when, I have no idea.

This guy reminds me of Norm MacDonald, so I'm going to guess he is Irish or Scottish and the hat is a tam with a feather in it.

I definitely agree. I suspect that it may be a military engineers device of some sort -- but from what country and when, I have no idea.
The idea of which country might be better described as no country: the French Foreign Legion

The Battle of Algiers involves them, but that picture is not from that movie.

I can't find a FFL movie that fits.

I believe it's the Welsh guards insignia, which is how I found this (I didn't recognize the insignia, I just looked for a similar insignia to the one in the picture, then searched for movie about Welsh guardsman):

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welsh_Guards

Thanks!

So, it was a tanker's hat.

Excellent find. I've never heard of this movie.

I've never heard of it either.

OMG thanks everyone for the help and support and moongirl in particular for the actual find.