Donnie Darko - discuss it (megaspoilers naturally)

→ in
Tools    

i know i'm a lazy ass for doing this, but i didn't read all the posts, so i will just put what i think the movie does...
donnie is dreaming, and he doesn't wanna kill the girl who could eventually be the love of his life, so he stays in his bed instead of going walkies and meeting frank.
that's all...

latersxxx

Last 5 Movies I have Watched...
The Astral Factor-•
Bridget Jones's Diary•••
The Maltese Falcon••••
Sliding Doors•••
Battle Royale••••

Collectormania
IMDb

"Once the dead are buried, it's not very polite to dig them up and ask them for money" -Me

A system of cells interlinked
This may be a bit of topic, but is anyone else moved to tears by the music in the theatre scene? I cannot find this on cd ANYWHERE, and it's not on the soundtrack.

The piece is called "Show Me" by Quito Colayco. Any help would be appreciated.

-S

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Donnie isn't a super hero, dude. Jesus.
Actually Donnie is a super hero because he is given super powers. That's how he was able to put the axe in the bulldog. The film is set in a tangent universe..

"28 days, 6 hours, 42 minutes, 12 seconds....... That is when the world will END" - Donnie Darko (2001)

Also yeah I nearly cried during the cinema scene hearing Donnie say "frank, when's this gonna stop?" and I nearly cried at the end when donnie died....

Everyone in this forum is wrong expect GREPPIN. The film is set in the tangent universe and Donnie's mission is to put the artifact (the jet engine) into the wormhole otherwise the universe will collapse or as frank said "the world will end"

Originally Posted by outTHERE2003uk
Everyone in this forum is wrong expect GREPPIN. The film is set in the tangent universe and Donnie's mission is to put the artifact (the jet engine) into the wormhole otherwise the universe will collapse or as frank said "the world will end"
Shut the hell up you nuisance.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

The director comes right out and says donnie is a super hero-ish character in the commentary. He says it twice actually.

Commentaries are great for clearing up any some of the confusion in films. Check em out.

Cheers

Originally Posted by Sedai
The director comes right out and says donnie is a super hero-ish
That's more or less what I was trying to say. Others have claimed that he's a super hero, but it's more that he is "like" a super-hero. I only argued because a former member was such an ass about it.

Evolution in Progress...
Ok, now I like to figure things out on my own... and I have my own personal theories about the movie which I could share, but as we all know opinions are like genitals....everyone has them and you should keep them mostly to yourself (well if they are filthy anyway ).
But despite all the hubbub about DD I will say that I loved the movie, and it really makes you think. About what you think...well that is your call but it does make ya think. And Mad World by Gary Jules is just an awesome song.

Bottom line DD owns all other movies I have seen this year. Hands Down!

"Some people have a gift for stupidity,an almost mystic ability to withstand any form of logic."-David Gemmell

When I become and Evil Lord dominating all mankind to my will if an advisor says to me "My liege, he is but one man. What can one man possibly do?", I will reply "This." and kill the advisor.

I really didn't like this movie. Okay, it had some good parts, and the first time i saw the rabbit I got a bit freaked out, but other than that, this movie didn't really appeal to me. I'm not saying this movie was terrible, just. . .different.
And found he was eating his shoe.

Evolution in Progress...
Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
Anyway..................... DD is a very good flick. It's open to interpretation. Enjoy.

There is no way that anyone could have taken such a large and engrossing topic such as Donnie Darko (with which i will squabble about the meaning of the movie with my friends till the day i die) and some it up so quickly,nicely and neatly

Thank you Slaytan

Originally Posted by leinad
the point of the movie is to entertain, and it does it brilliantly.

i didnt really fully grasp the time travel bits, i'll buy it as soon as it comes out on dvd here though. anyway, i didnt think donnie meant to die, it didnt seem to me to be anything of his own choosing. perhaps it was something of a thinking man's 'final destination' - he was supposed to die at the beginning of the film, but he escaped death, but not for long.
Donnie had to die at the end. If he were to get out of bed then he would be leaving the path shown to him by the "spears" and would be deviating from God's plan. This would have resulted in another alternate reality which would force him to have to send the engine back into the wormhole again in order to prevent the two realities from collapsing and destroying all of existence. The chain resulting from this would continue endlessly. He knew this, so by allowing himself to die he is fulfilling God's plan for him and allowing the primary world to continue as intended.

Originally Posted by jrich07
Donnie had to die at the end. If he were to get out of bed then he would be leaving the path shown to him by the "spears" and would be deviating from God's plan. This would have resulted in another alternate reality which would force him to have to send the engine back into the wormhole again in order to prevent the two realities from collapsing and destroying all of existence. The chain resulting from this would continue endlessly. He knew this, so by allowing himself to die he is fulfilling God's plan for him and allowing the primary world to continue as intended.

I second this.

The fact that he went to see a double feature at the theatre in the movie, which was showing The Last Temptation of Christ should get you thinking about sacrifice, and that Donnie is just starting to realize (during that same scene actually) that for everything to get back on track, a sacrifice has to be made. Also, the director says as much in the commentary

Led Zepp - Hopefully you weren't watching this film expecting a horror, because I bet it would be a let down. It was never supposed to be a horror, It was meant as more of an adventure/philosophy film. Poor marketing kind of put it across as a horror-esque movie and that just isn't the case. As with any film, one can watch it just to be entertained, or one can dig deeper into the metaphor (which is what film is for in my opinion) and try to figure out:

1- what the director was trying to say to the audience

2- what deeper, personal meanings you can draw from the messages in the film, that the director (or anyone else for that matter) hadn't thought of.

The fact that this movie makes you think about life, existence, time, love, sacrifice, and a slew of other issues is why I hold the film in such high regard.

Also- Mad World is covered by Gary Jules for this movie, it was written by Tears for Fears (falling into the 80s theme nicely)

I like the DD/Jules version more though, a lot more.

Cheers

Originally Posted by Sedai
I like the DD/Jules version more though, a lot more.

Cheers
Definitely.

This site has a really interesting Richard Kelly Interview:

http://www.rollcredits.com

In Tyler We Trust
Hey im a Bit Confused at the End of Donnie Darko can anyone Explain it to me?

This might help.... if you're willing to read it, that is.

In Tyler We Trust
Thx it kinda helped.... Do you get it Garrett? Can You Explain it in an Easier way?

We All Go A Little Crazy Sometimes
Its an extremely confusing movie hey psion. But it has to do with the whole time travel thing and altering events