Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Pickup on South Street (1953) -

Credit to edarsenal for the recommendation.

You can read my write-up here - http://www.movieforums.com/community...27#post1667727

He Walked By Night (1948)

-

This is another 40's movie I randomly picked out, this time from the noirs list. A dangerous criminal is on the loose and the police have to find him with very few clues. This is a very tight movie at less than 80 minutes long. There's a strong villain, good tension, and short effective bursts of violence. There's a great scene of a room full of people trying to come up with a sketch. The only annoying thing is the occasional newspaper reporter style narration that seems to be common in noirs from this era.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Professionals - 8.5/10

Multiple viewings, but I had some work in the kitchen, and I'll be intoxicated before the night is through, so I thought I'd pick something I know.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
He Walked By Night (1948)

-

This is another 40's movie I randomly picked out, this time from the noirs list. A dangerous criminal is on the loose and the police have to find him with very few clues. This is a very tight movie at less than 80 minutes long. There's a strong villain, good tension, and short effective bursts of violence. There's a great scene of a room full of people trying to come up with a sketch. The only annoying thing is the occasional newspaper reporter style narration that seems to be common in noirs from this era.
Richard Basehart? I did the same after hearing about him in "Fourteen Floors" (after watching La Strada, always thought his character was hilarious)

American Psycho (2000) -

Originally Posted by Iroquois
To be fair, you have to have a fairly high IQ to understand MovieForums.com.

Madame Curie (1943)

This is a biographical film about the Curies, a couple of science geeks who fell in love and discovered radium. I did not enjoy the movie very much, but I had to give it a strong rating because I think it has plenty of merit. I enjoyed the relationship aspect, but the science part bored the hell out of me so much that I could never become completely engrossed. It is extremely well made with excellent performances, and it's a movie filled with beauty and grace. I would like to revisit it again at some point, and I think there are members here who would love it.

I liked Madame Curie pretty well, it's not a highly entertaining movie or deeply moving, but it's an intelligent film that tells the real story of Madame Curie and does pay a lot of attention to the science part of her story. Greer Garson is a favorite of mine

I liked Madame Curie pretty well, it's not a highly entertaining movie or deeply moving, but it's an intelligent film that tells the real story of Madame Curie and does pay a lot of attention to the science part of her story. Greer Garson is a favorite of mine
I guess there are edited versions that take some of the science parts out, but I'd rather see everything.

I guess there are edited versions that take some of the science parts out, but I'd rather see everything.
Oh hell! that's what I liked about it...I'm surprised the studio made such a dry film (dry not being a bad thing in my mind). I bet it wasn't all that popular with audiences back in the day.

Have a few to get through here. I'll post them in separate posts.

Manchester By The Sea (2016)

Caught this one about a week ago out of Redbox. I haven't seen any of the other Best Actor movies so I couldn't give you a true reading on whether Affleck deserved his Oscar or not. He was most definitely on his A game. Extremely subdued performance which is what was required. The red haired kid who was nominated as well might have even been a little better to me. Michelle Williams was good but she was in it for about 15 minutes tops, not enough to me to earn a nomination. The movie itself sucks you in. I was completely wrapped into the story. However this is a one off viewing for me. Once you know the twist it sort of ruins repeat viewings.It will stay with you for awhile but it is not the most exciting movie so you won't be dying to repeat it soon after.

Final Verdict: Worth a view. 3.5 out of 5.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Moonlight (2016)

Well this was an experience. It probably did deserve the best picture (I haven't seen La La Land).It was extremely captivating to watch the kid grow up. I don't know if this makes any sense but the 3 different actors were both a highlight and distraction for me. I can't explain it haha. Really happy Mahershala Ali won the award because I did research on him after and he seems like a stand up guy who actually has his feet on the ground compared to most these movie stars. Doesn't hurt he played D1 basketball at St. Marys, as I played in college as well. (much lower level lol). With all that being said he was in the movie 20 minutes if that. It was a strong 20 but not enough for me to deserve an Academy Award. The whole cast was awesome including Harris. The two stands outs to me though was the kid who played the 2nd stage and Trevonte Rhodes who played the grown Chiron. I thought Rhodes performance was juicier and better than Ali's (not that Ali was bad at all). I think Rhodes has the potential to be a superstar. That performance was incredible (to me) and he has it all; charming, the body, the chops, magnetic personality, looks. Hopefully he gets some good work after this.

The movie itself was shot beautifully. Barry Jenkins is definitely a talent to look out for. The movie could have easily fallen apart but it was structured wonderfully to keep you full attention. There are going be some iconic shots from this movie. I could see myself watching it a few more times. Maybe even buy it down the road (when it hits the sales rack)

Final Verdict: Worth a buy. 4 out of 5

Alien (1979)

Caught this on AMC today ha. On spring break from school so don't judge me lol. I am sure I have seen bits and pieces of all the Alien movies but never actually sat down and watched any of them. Not really in my wheel house of genre. It is interesting though that I saw Prometheus before I saw any of the previous Alien movies. A different perspective than most probably. I can see why this was so successful, specially in 1979. It was a great thriller that had me closing my eyes multiples times. I was also expecting the special effects to maybe not hold up as well but they surprisingly did. I mean here and there it dated itself, especially the computer stuff, haha, but that's expected. It was not a distraction like it can be in other older movies. It makes me want to watch Aliens soon, not sure about viewing Alien again anytime soon. Just not my cup of tea per say. But I can appreciate a good movie when I see one.

Final Verdict: Worth a buy 3.5 out of 5 (gets hurt a little because not my favorite genre)

Had seen this many, many years ago and watched it again last night. Nicely made, tight actioner with an interesting take on vigilante justice and when taking it to the streets is over the line and morally corrupt. Harry Callahan, America's favorite vigilante cop has to stop a traffic cop vigilante force that is basically doing what Callahan himself does, but on a larger, more ruthless scale. An interesting film, but doesn't really illustrate that hazy line between right and wrong concerning justice. It throws in a casualty to tip the scale for plot reasons, but it still never really explains why Callahan finds their particular brand of justice as worthy of punishment, as he deems it, and only does his policeman allegiance really come into play when he is faced with the main villain, in which case I won't spoil it in case someone hasn't seen it. All in all, very cool film. Bought the dbl feature Dirty Harry/Magnum Force on blu ray for $5.99 at the grocery store. Very nice transfer.

Welcome to the human race...
1941 -

Man, this Spielberg guy made some sh*tty movies, alright.

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
been happily caught up in HoFs but here is a couple from the past week

The Major and the Minor (1942)
Billy Wilder's very first film and hits it on his first try with a zany plot and some top notch actors to pull it off; Ginger Rogers and Ray Milland, this was funny and enjoyable all the way through. And I gotta say, Ginger with dark hair is all kinds of gorgeous!!

Young in Heart (1938)
A family of con artists meet up with an elderly woman and without realizing it, find themselves on the relatively straight and narrow. A great cast with Janet Gaynor, Douglas Fairbanks Jr, Billie Burke (Glenda the Good Witch from Wizard Oz fame) and Roland Young are the family of scoundrels and all perform with a heartwarming aplomb.

Our Kind of Traitor
A solid, old school spy story with a strong cast that, while it sort of quietly ambled through, was still worthwhile.

Interrogation (Bugajski, 1982)

I've seen more than one movie which invoke Orwell though the aesthetics of a work such as 1984 to a greater extent than its historical revisionism and heartbreaking betrayal. Bugajski makes a stricter, more clear political statement than those. The statement so potent and gut wrenching that it resulted in this work being suppressed for 7 years before the dissolution of the Eastern Bloc. Thankfully this saw the light of day.

Similar to Steve McQueen's 12 Years a Slave, the fish out of water nature of the protagonist allows us to self-insert into an unfamiliar environment instantly. As cliche as it is to use a woman as a punching bag for overwhelming suffering, Bugajski smartly uses the gender dynamic to fully express the gravity of the state's violations. The relationship that forms between the woman and her captor expresses the doubt of the individual within the morally corrupt system while also admitting the effectiveness of violent coercion. The product of their relationship proves the indellibility of state's actions, however far removed from the circumstances allowing them. It's a very well thought out, albeit rather conventional, picture with criticisms just as virile and scathing today as they were decades ago.

The Room (2003) 5/10
So I found this cult classic on Youtube and finally watched the Movie in full after obsessing over Tommy Wiseau for a bit researching everything I could about him and watching all his interviews on Youtube. It turns out from all the clips I've watched I pretty much already watched the Movie. I must say that the acting by everyone besides Tommy isn't as bad as what people make it out to be. Juliette Danielle the actress that played Lisa did a fine job of making me believe that she was in love with Johnny in those scenes where they have fun together although her delivery of lines could use a bit of work she wasn't that bad. I quite like the dialogue I love how highly quotable and poetic Johnny's lines are at times. But once you've experienced the Movie it's not really that re watchable, This Movie is much better viewed when with friends than alone. What is more entertaining than the Movie is Tommy Wiseau himself and how he interacts with people during interviews and the story behind how the **** this Movie got made.

Sausage Party (2016) 4/10

Black Mass 7/10 (2015)
Amazing performance by Johnny Depp, I can't believe his performance was snubbed by the Oscars and Golden Globes.
He truly deserved an nomination for doing something great for a change. The best work his done in years.