The Dark Knight (possible spoilers)

→ in
Tools    

One thing I've been mulling over is the issue of Oscars. If you look at how ratings and number of viewers have fallen over the years, you've gotta agree with the prediction that Heath will at the very least, get nominated. With so many people feeling so passionate about his performance and the movie as a whole, you'd get a whole lot of people watching the Oscars who otherwise wouldn't really care.
Probably true, but I also just think that his performance was every bit as impressive and maybe even more impressive than Javier Bardem's Chigurh from last year. It was simply a performance deserving to be recognized and I hope it will be in the end. Don't you?
I don't want to sound like I think the Oscars are just a big contest of Fail and Tom Foolery, but... if they're going to use the Dark Knight to boost their ratings, will the nomination for Heath be enough to do that?
Probably... stranger things have happened than to have an absolutely huge movie trigger interest in the yearly award show I'm sure.

As for IMDB? All I can do is kind of.. shake my head a bit. Call me elitist, whatever - that list isn't exactly a hugely reliable way of determining film quality. Compare the people who are voting, etc, blah blah blah.
I won't call you elitist, I've never even seen this list you're talking about and I don't expect I'll have to either. Sure, IMDB is a wealth of (sometimes faulty) information but it certainly isn't where I go to get my movie ratings, reviews or even recommendations. Silly rabbit... that's what MoFo is for.

Okay my first post but I have read around these forums for a while and dont take it easy I have got hard skin.

I would like to say that this is my own view and would like people to repect it as I will try () to repect your views and your comments.

I would like to get some people to try and open my eyes or maybe I can open yours.

How do The Godfather and Shawshank rate so high ???

I found that both movie had been often too predictable for me .

WARNING: "The Shawshank Redemption" spoilers below
Shawshank for instance He gets a small pick,the holy bible,a huge poster in his room and the film is about a man who breaks out prison(just by seeing the poster) after about an hour I had it pieced together.

WARNING: "The Godfather" spoilers below
In The Godfather.I loved it but was disappointed at the same time I mean it was great but could have been better .E.g I could tell that within the second I seen Michael he was going to be the new Godfather before they were even talking about a second one .

Two shared some big plot holes.

Now I know I can here some screams but hear me out I am not trying to put this films down as I really enjoyed both of them as there is great cast,great writing and great music .I rate them very highly and dont want to seem disrepectful toward there fans but I would only rate them on par with a modern film today such as Gone baby gone.(maybe not a great director but for everything else A1)

When I read imdb I find myself thinking that some people really hate to see TDK doing really well I on the other hand love to see Christopher Nolan on top.When a couple of decades go by he will be talk in the breath as Scorsese,Hitchcock,Coppola,Polanski and ford are just some of the top 50 I could name .

I must say that some of the insults that I have read are doing it's website no favours .I read one comment that said if you enjoyed this you would never enjoy a real movie such as NCFOM or there will be blood .I watch hunreds of movies a year and I really enjoy anything by the Ceon brother's (NCFOM BRILLANT)and really loved There will be blood (Daniel Day Lewis second ever finest role to My left foot).

I know I 'am babbling but I would finally want to make a point I really dont enjoy comic movies (I didnt even like Batman Begins)but I loved this masterpiece and may all of the success it is getting be reflected on that imdb.
Well I Actually Haven't Seen The Godfather Yet (All My Life All I've Heard About It, That It Was Just Overrated, But Lately I've Been Hearing That It Deserves To Be Like That, So I May Watch It Sometime Soon), So I Can't Say Anything About That. But The Shawshank Redemption Is One Of The Best Movies Ever Made And It Definintly Deserves To Be Up There (Even Though I Think Se7en And Pulp Fiction Should Be Higher).

Welcome to the human race...
How do The Godfather and Shawshank rate so high ???
To that I respond with...

Originally Posted by Slat3
Now I know I can here some screams but hear me out I am not trying to put this films down as I really enjoyed both of them as there is great cast,great writing and great music .I rate them very highly and dont want to seem disrepectful toward there fans but I would only rate them on par with a modern film today such as Gone baby gone.(maybe not a great director but for everything else A1)
In response to the end of that quote, I fail to see how if everything but the director is "A1", why single out the director? If the film is genuinely that good, credit the person under whose guiding hand it was made into a good film.

When I read imdb I find myself thinking that some people really hate to see TDK doing really well I on the other hand love to see Christopher Nolan on top.When a couple of decades go by he will be talk in the breath as Scorsese,Hitchcock,Coppola,Polanski and ford are just some of the top 50 I could name .

That'll be the day.

Seriously, Nolan may be as genuinely talented a director as the other examples, but it's still a bit early in his career to tell. All those directors have had directing careers at least 30 years long, Nolan's barely been doing it for 10. Time will tell.

Blatantly conservative film...

Dent=Obama, the two-faced politician corrupted by terrorist (Joker) ideology

Batman=Bush, the FISA defying super hero. Come on, a device that lets him track every citizen through cell phones!

Joker=Osama, taking over conventional crime behind the scene...

Scott McLellan=Wayne employee who wrote the book revealing who Batman is!

I think The Dark Knight probably does have some conservative messages to it, sure, but it's a good deal more nuanced than the straight-up allegory you seem to be suggesting. Also, I should point out that, even if Batman is meant to invoke Bush on some level, he's an admittedly flawed hero, so even if we accept these comparisons, I don't know that that would make it a pro-conservative movie. Maybe conservative-curious.

I think The Dark Knight probably does have some conservative messages to it, sure, but it's a good deal more nuanced than the straight-up allegory you seem to be suggesting. Also, I should point out that, even if Batman is meant to invoke Bush on some level, he's an admittedly flawed hero, so even if we accept these comparisons, I don't know that that would make it a pro-conservative movie. Maybe conservative-curious.
I still think that Dent clearly represents Obama. His campaign slogan is "I believe in Harvey Dent"---very similar to Obama's Hope and Change slogan.

A system of cells interlinked
Those statements aren't anything alike. How is "I believe in" synonymous with "Hope and Change".

It isn't.

When did Obama coin that phrase? When did they shoot TDK? That is just a massive stretch, IMO.

"You want to find the number 216 in the world, you will be able to find it everywhere. 216 steps from a mere street corner to your front door. 216 seconds you spend riding on the elevator. When your mind becomes obsessed with anything, you will filter everything else out and find that thing everywhere."
- Sol Robeson - Pi

So... TDK is about the election?

This can't be allowed. I need my movies to be movie flavored movies. If I want ads for politicians I just flip on the boob tube. It cracks me up how some of these big massive hits bring out the whackos. Remember that one poster in the Juno thread about all the hospitals and abortion stuff? Just bizarre.

Came past these life-life Joker figurines, I think pretty impressive.
There selling them here, along with other Dark Knight models.

Movie Forums Extra
Well, to bring this topic back on topic, I would like to say that the Dark Knight was a very excellent movie, which I saw in theaters. I think they should make a second one, they would make so much money too.

Jerry Shaw, you have been activated.

Came past these life-life Joker figurines, I think pretty impressive.
There selling them here, along with other Dark Knight models.
The scars on that are very impressive. But there's something about the nose, i know it's a figure and all, but yeah.