Most Intense Scene in a Movie

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
I was sitting her finishing up Jurassic Park from yesterday and got to the Kitchen scene. Granted, it's not as thrilling as it was when I first saw it, but you know there's got to be someone out there that inches up to the edge of their seat when that scene comes up.

So, what do you think is the most intense scene in a movie?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

the car scene in jurassic park, with the t rex
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

Ha! I saw the title of this thread, and thought right away, before virtually anything else, "The kitchen scene in 'Jurassic Park.'" Yeah, that one would be near the top of my list. I saw it in the theater, and even though it's hard to remember how tense it was at first, since I've seen it a dozen times now, I do recall, somewhat vaugely, albeit, how terrified I was. I was only like 9 at the time, though.

Some more that had me biting my fingernails profusely:
  • The train scene in the beginning of "Unbreakable." When it starts screeching and shaking, I got really nervous. The sound in the theater was so loud, and I was pretty close to the screen.
  • Several of the scenes in "Rounders." There they are, more tha once, trying to trick someone out, and you keep thinking "Stop, you idiots! You're gonna get caught! Ahhhhh!"
  • "Star Wars: A New Hope." The shot at the end. Need I say more? No, probably not...but I will: I breath out a sigh of relief along with Mr. Skywalker every single time.
  • Neo's frantic race against the clock as the Sentinels are closing in in "The Matrix."
  • The last scene in "Se7en."
  • The entire Moria sequence in "The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring."
  • A long, ongoing scene in "The Score." Damnitt, Danny, stay away! Don't go looking for Brian! You're gonna ruin everything!

Some intense scenes for me are in no paticular order:
  • Heat shoot out scene
  • Salvador almost the entire movie I was on the edge on my seat
  • Psycho The Shower Scene
  • Wait Until Dark The Gasoline and Liter Scene With Arkin
  • Taxi Driver "THE SHOOTOUT" at the whore house

Call me kiddy, but the scene where Mufasa hangs from the Rock and Scar says "Long live the King" in The Lion King. Of course there are plenty more, the Raptors in the Kitchen, oe Tim climbing the fence intercut with Ellie turning on the Electricity, or when Muldoon is sitting in the Raptor pen and his got one in his aim, or countless other times in Jurassic Park.

Too many too count.

I thought the first time you see Alex getting the treatment in the cinema, or later when he's getting drowned in the troph in A Clockwork Orange were fairly intense.

• The finale of helicopters, drugs, guns and spaghetti sauce in GoodFellas (1990)
  • The finale of desperation in four drug-dependent characters leading to the ultimate fates of commitment/shock treatment, Hellish incarceration, total sexual degradation, and an amputation in Requiem for a Dream (2000)
  • The finale as a self-sacrificing martyr fantasizes of singing and dancing her way to the gallows in Dancer in the Dark (2000)
  • Perhaps the prototypical example of verbal abuse in mainstream cinema as a loveless womanizer with no sense of compassion or morals unleashes a torrent of obscene cruelty at a needy and vulnerable object of desire, the centerpiece of Carnal Knowledge (1971)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Intense?

Delilverance You know what scene I'm talking about. "You've got a real purty mouth". There is no competition. Winner hands down.

i gotta agree with TWT Commish on some of these...

the train scene in "unbreakable"

the closing scene wit neo "the matrix"

the one in "the score"

the first part in the airport and on the airoplane "final destination"

and i was just thinking that the later scenes with someone trying to disarm a bomb have all started to get a bit korny and they're all pretty much the same.The bomb is ticking away with someone taking it apart then it comes down to last 5 second and the hero has a chioce the red or the blue wire, then with only 2 second left he cuts the right wire and the clock stands still on 1 second.Once again he's saved the day.

A long, ongoing scene in "The Score." Damnitt, Danny, stay away! Don't go looking for Brian! You're gonna ruin everything!
What did you think of that movie?

Oh yeah, tense scenes.....well, this is rather silly, but I get really, really tense every time I see Wesley trying to freeclimb the Cliffs of Insanity in The Princess Bride.

Okay, I know it's not real, but the perspective just gets to me. The thought of actually having to hang on to sheer rock, for dear life, and then actually CLIMB. Just makes me cringe and tense up.

Originally posted by Sullivan
What did you think of that movie?
I thought it was okay, but I didn't buy the ending. It wasn't clever enough...too much buildup, not enough payoff.

WARNING: "The Score" spoilers below
My 10 year old sister was there, and she said, as soon as he handed the supposed scepter over to Edward Norton's character, "he didn't really give it to him! It's a fake!" When pre-teen children are guessing the ending to your heist flick 15 minutes before it happens, you've got some reworking to do.

The movie was worth watching anyway, though. Unlike most heist movies that I've seen, it didn't glamourize the process. It showed it in the way I'd imagine it really is: dirty, depressing, and risky as hell. Not fun, exciting, and full of payoffs.

i PERSONALLY THINK that the parlor scene in Psycho is way more intense than the shower scene.

Okay. My personal opinion of the The Score is that it totallly sucked. As you said, the ending wrap-up felt totally contrived. The lovestory didn't convince me at all....it seemed quite forced and imitative. I found myself rooting for Edward Norton's character for the last half of the movie, simply because there seemed to be more "going on" under the surface of his lines than anyone else's in the movie.

All the time spent on belabouring and wailing over "who's into the Scepter for how much" went right by me. I mean, what's the point? Okay, so DeNiro is gonna do it...ok, so he's not.....ok, so now he is......now he's not.....he is......he's not.....etc. Who cares? It's a heist movie, we know you're gonna grab the sparkly thing anyway, just stop hedging and go grab the freakin' thing so we can stop listening to all these wannabe-Godfather accents. SHEESH.

I was sitting here watching The Mummy and a scene came up that actually made me spill my drink. Why, I don't know.

One of the first few scenes involving Evie in the museum where she comes across her brother hiding. I knew it was there, just jumped. Maybe it's because I got the sound up and the music right there got me.

I would say the shootout in Heat is at the top of the list for me.

There were lots in Blackhawk Down, where I could feel myself letting go of the armrests after a scene was done, and exhaling a big breath.

Peace,
Steve

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap.
The whole of Breaking the Waves was extremely emotionally intense.

• Heat - When al and deniro where sitting at the diner table.
  • the Professional - The last fight scene.
  • American Beauty - Who's is going to kill Kevin?
  • Monster Balls - Is halle going to stay with him in the end?
  • Moulin Rouge - Can a hooker change?
something like that. truly intense scenes i believe. some of the above aren't exaclty the scenes, but more likely the parts of the movie that are intense.

More comic-intensity here:

Bullet Tooth Tony's monologue to his would be murderers in Snatch . So funny, so calm, so intense....

"And the fact that you have the word REPLICA written down the side of your gun..."

The laundry room scene in Donnie Brasco is great. Also the scene in the jail cell is great. And the scene just before the end when Donnie and Lefty are in the car.

Originally posted by The Silver Bullet
More comic-intensity here:

Bullet Tooth Tony's monologue to his would be murderers in Snatch . So funny, so calm, so intense....

"And the fact that you have the word REPLICA written down the side of your gun..."
"And the fact that mine has Desert Eagle...POINT 5 0 written on the side of mine..."

Now With Moveable Parts
The scene in American History X....well, ANY scene in American History X, will do.

The @ss to @ss scene in Reqreium for a Dream. Or the "Shock Therapy" scene.

The rape scene in Boys Don't Cry.