Tools    

What is your favorite (or top 3) Robot Movie
There's a lot to choose from, we got
Bicentennial Man

ha which was on last night and made me decide to do this thread

Or maybe Short Circuit tickles your fancy

The Terminator

That would be mine.

Or maybe you enjoyed I,Robot, Blade Runner, Robocop, T2, T3, Robots, Iron Giant, AI, The Stepford Wives?, ehhh idk or maybe you'll go out on a limb and say that the new live action Transformers movie is going to be the best. I'm going to go out on a limb and put that as my 2nd favorite robot movie

Robin Williams Robot movie count: 3

The Eliminators (1986)

Death Machine (1994)

Robot Jox (1989)

All guilty pleasures

Horrorphiliac

I'll get totally crucified for this, but I wasn't nuts about Blade Runner. I suspect it is one of those films whose acclaim is significantly based off of its status as a pioneer in raising certain issues that make for very common subject matter today.

Anyway, I'll go with Terminator 2: Judgment Day, which I consider to be among the best action movies ever made. And, shockingly, I wouldn't rate Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, terribly far behind it, though it'd still only make honorable mention if I were to compile an actual list.

But, I digress. Terminator 2 is most definitely my choice.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I hated the kid who played John Connor in T2, so that always sours my viewing of that movie. But I really like Nick Stahl so T3 was better. Plus, the semi-twist at the end really made the movie for me. They didn't take the easy or cheesy way out.

Sounds to me, Yoda, like you're saying what BobbyB said in the Shoutbox about 12 Angry Men: Perhaps you're just too young to appreciate its pioneer status and therefore some of it seems obvious or a little trite. Not much that can be done about that, I suppose. Nature of the beast.

I hated the kid who played John Connor in T2, so that always sours my viewing of that movie. But I really like Nick Stahl so T3 was better. Plus, the semi-twist at the end really made the movie for me. They didn't take the easy or cheesy way out.
Yeah, Edward Furlong was far too whiny. But later on in the film, when things got serious and he wasn't called on to talk a whole lot, he was pretty passable, I thought. I actually wasn't crazy about Stahl, either, but he was better than Furlong and loved T3 for many of the same reasons you seem to. For the writers of T3 to bring the series full-circle like that in a way that was presumably not intended or planned out by the other writers from the beginning is awfully impressive, to me.

Sounds to me, Yoda, like you're saying what BobbyB said in the Shoutbox about 12 Angry Men: Perhaps you're just too young to appreciate its pioneer status and therefore some of it seems obvious or a little trite. Not much that can be done about that, I suppose. Nature of the beast.
I think he was saying that about Hitchcock; his complaints about 12 Angry Men went a lot further, to the point where he claimed that Juror #8's arguments were unpersuasive. That's really the only thing I put much effort into disputing, since it's more objective than whether or not he enjoyed it.

But, yes, there's not much that can be done. Younger people are bound to see films out of context and out of order. By the time I saw Blade Runner, I'd already seen a half-dozen films that raised philosophical questions about what it really means to be human. All in all, that makes me want to simply abstain from any significant opinion about the film, as I recognize I can never see it quite the way it was intended to be seen. True of just about any film from the past, I imagine, but perhaps moreso for a film like this.

That said, I think I can still safely criticize the weird 80s mist that permeates the whole movie. What's up with that?

When I was a kid I loved Saturn 3, but I haven't seen it in about 20 years. Cool robot.

The Adventure Starts Here!
That said, I think I can still safely criticize the weird 80s mist that permeates the whole movie. What's up with that?
Well, it was made in the '80s, and it has Sean Young in it. That'll do it every time.

Oh yeah, that's right: It was a Hitchcock discussion (although similar issues came up with 12 Angry Men, as I recall).

Wow, glad to see some others T3 fans, i thought it was pretty good movie.

Yoda, i love Blade Runner for it's whole composition and atmosphere as much as anything about philosophy, the techno Asian cityscape is amazing as are Ford and Hauer's performances. I like the way Blade Runner kinda askes the questions without asking, they're there but not forced as a over riding message in the film.

You ready? You look ready.
I'd definitely have to agree with Yoda on this one. When I hear someone talk about robot films, the Terminator series is the first thing to come to mind. However, I'd have to go with the first one. Did you not like it, Yoda?

The Terminator
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

I did an essay this year on android and cyborgs representation in Science Fiction cinema and have to say Star Trek: First Contact is a fascinating film in that context. Also love Robocop, Tetsuo and if you're willing to be open on the definition of Robot- Crash and Videodrome.

I'll let everyone know after July 4th.
good call!!!

...and I've been saying Blade Runner is okay at best, for awhile on this board!

BladeRunner

As for a baker's dozen of some of my favorite movie bots, I'd have to say...

1. Roy Batty (BladeRunner)
2. HAL-9000 (2001: A Space Odyssey)
3. Ash (Alien)
4. The Gunslinger (Westworld)
5. Deckard (BladeRunner)
6. GORT (The Day the Earth Stood Still)
7. The Terminator (The Terminator)
8. R2-D2 & C-3PO (Star Wars)
9. RoboCop (RoboCop)
10. Bishop (Aliens)
11. Maximillian (The Black Hole)
12. T-1000 (Terminator 2: Judgment Day)
13. The Femmebots (Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery)

Oh, and the worst Robot Movie ever...

Heartbeeps
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Well, it was made in the '80s, and it has Sean Young in it. That'll do it every time.
Believe it or not, I was talking about actual mist. Sometimes it's everywhere:

And sometimes, well, it's everywhere again. This time, with a police car.

...or four police cars!

And sometimes, just to mix things up, they use steam, instead!

When people say the film has "atmosphere," they might as well be speaking literally.

So you think the future's going to be a paradise eh?
Nah. But I'd like to think I'll be able to see more than 10 feet in front of my face at any given time.

Also, Hal from 2001.
Good call. Your reward: more steamfogmist!

Your reward: more steamfogmist!

just thought of another

The Black Hole (1979)
V.I.N.CENT is just too cute, crap, I don't know how to say the that without sounding womany

I have to return some videotapes.
JBriscoe, good call on Robot Jox. After seeing that movie, my brother and I used to try to build our own robots out of legos and battle. Hours of construction, seconds to destroy.