Boardwalk Empire

Tools    

Let's take a look at ep 3 of Season Two. Cannot believe that Mr. Pompous, Van Alden has gotten Lucy pregnant. Can't wait for his wife to find out. Is there any chance that baby could be Nucky's? It's sweet the way Margaret wants to help Nucky save money. Damian seems to be becoming expendable. Stephen Graham was great in that scene where Capone meets Nucky for the first time. So Nucky did officially dump Lucy. Capone seems to be working really hard to disguise his grief over his father's death. It seems like it might become important later. Did Eli's dad refer to Nucky as Eli? Nucky was so sweet to Margaret when they talked about Paris. Jimmy really needs to get Gillian out of his house before she destroys his marriage. How does Lucy expect to be in a show while she's pregnant. And she can't have not known that Van Alden wouldn't have it. DIdn't realize during his first appearance that Christopher McDonald was playing the attorney general. It's kind of fun actually watching Nucky sweat. :Well if you need me to tell you sir, you need me moret than I thought." Could have knocked me over with a feather when Margaret sat doiwn and drank with her maids. :That was only war, this is Atlantic City." That was totally messed up what Nucky said to Jimmy about his mother. Owen's not wasting anytime getting his foot in the door. OMG...Margaret...you little dickens.

Season 2 ep 4. "If you had a brain, you'd be dangerous." What's going on with Dabney Coleman's eyebrows in this episode? The nude body stocking that Gretchen Mol was wearing in the same scene was totally visible. Owen is not even trying to be discreet with Margaret. It was nice to actually have a scene with Chalkie and his entire family. Richard seems to be drawn to Angela, but i can't see him doing that to Jimmy. I don't understand why Gillian is lying about what happened to the Commodore. It's creepy the way Gillian has no shame about her relationship with Jimmy. Our first look at Rothstein's marriage looked like a marriage of appearance or convenience...not a lot of passion there. Wow, those ladies really read Chalkie the riot act. It was good to see that Van Alden's people are aware of some of his proclivities. Why did I get the feeling that Margaret trying to cut the staff's salaries was done without Nucky's knowledge? She seems obsessed with saving money and Nucky keeps telling her everything's fine. Nice to see Wiilliam Forsythe as the butcher. You know the Mayor's behavior at this party is come back and bite him in the ass at some point. Rose Van Alden redefines "clingy". Loved the scene of Richard sitting for Angela, it reminded me of Rose posing for Jack in Titanic. So was Chalkie taking out his anger with Nucky on his daughter's boyfriend? Powerhouse acting from Michael Kenneth Williams though. I loved that Richard offered to pay for the picture that Angela sketched of him. What does Margaret really need that $100 for? Any theories on what Margaret is saving up for? Escape from Nucky. perhaps? Gillian is batsh*t crazy.

Up to Season 2 Ep 5. Michael Pitt was very moving as Jimmy got over the shock of having to read the names of his fallen comrades in arms. I guess attending the Memorial Day celebration was too hard for Richard, which is understandable. Why did Nucky ask Jimmy to read the names if he didn't think Jimmy was the appropriate choice? tt was disturbing watching him ridicule Jimmy later. Eli just can't catch a beak, can he? I would love to see Jimmy get from under his mother's thumb, or more specifically, from under her undergarments. It's so creepy whenever they show Richard's mask off his face. My jaw dropped when the dog took it. It's electric every time Steve Buscemi and Shea Wigham share the screen. That fight scene was incredible. "In the future, if you're going to point a gun at someone, make sure it's loaded." That barbequed squirrel looked disgusting. Nucky is in no position to request guarantees from the attorney general and he should know than. I am so glad Richard didn't kill himself. Covering for the Commodore is getting lin a lot of trouble and I'm not sure how much longer he can keep it up. I wish Jimmy could be happy. His mother really screwed him up. Jack Huston was heartbreaking in that last scene with Michael Pitt. Parkhurst better be dead before this episode ends. I thought Owen was after Margaret. That final long shot of Eli digging was stunning. Excellent episode.

Ep 6 of season two on deck. Van Alden is clearly regretting the day he ever got involved with Lucy. That priest was a little harsh with Teddy. "I can't fault you for boldness, but not every insult requires a response." Why does Gillian feel the need to flaunt her sick relationship with Jimmy in front of everyone. Nucky's father's feelings about Nucky seem to change with every appearance he makes in the story. Lucy making this pregnancy turnn her into a helpless moron is getting very tiresome. The makeup for that burn victim was astonishing work, worthy of an Emmy. I love the way Boardwalk looks at night. The way Van Alden keeps looking for absolution through half-truths to his wife is disgusting, what a vile man. I get the feeling that while she was having sex with Nucky, Margaret was thinking about Owen. It's looking like Nucky and Margaret will never completely trusty one another. Owen appears to be using Katie to get to Margaret. Jimmy and the Butcher (William Forsythe) have quite the working relationship already. Finally...Van Alden suffering the consequences of his actions...some of them anyway. Loved when Rose bit him on the wrist though. Does Nucky not understand the concept of confession?

Moving on to ep 7 of season two. Really like that actor playing Jack Dempsey. Van Alden is slime for what he's doing to Lucy. Capone and Luciano aren't going to put up with Jimmy much longer. Watching Van Alden losing his desk, and to a woman no less, was AWESOME! Was that Emma Kenney from Shameless and The Conners playing Margaret's sister? Gillian is sickening...she can't spend five minutes with Jimmy without trying to crawl inside him. Van Alden has a lot of nerve being mad at Nucky for giving Lucy money. Now that she's got money, didn't take Lucy long to find a babysitter. Nice to Van Alden finally holding his daughter. How is Esther supposed to "sort out" Van Alden's "domestic situation."? Well, I guess Owen Slater is no one to be toyed with either. Couldn't tell whether or not Jimmy knew what was going to happen to Nucky and if he wanted to prevent it. The chemistry between Owen and Margaret is burning a hole in the screen.

Let's take a look at Season Two ep 8. That nightmare was kind of an oddball opening to the episode. Loved the way Buscemi played learning of Nucky's father's death. So has Van Alden hired this women to raise his daughter for him? The Butcher made Gillian's day when he assumed that she was Jimmy's wife? The Butcher really struck a nerve with Jimmy. Can't believe Margaret actually expected Nucky to break down regarding his father. Margaret really needs to stop trying to change who Nucky is. Can't believe how harsh Angela was with Jimmy. I did like seeing Jimmy being honest with her for a change. "It's OK, Cookie, we're invisible here." Surprised and impressed that Nucky wants Margaret's children to call him dad. The Thompson brothers scene at the wake was predictable but still very well played by Buscemi and Wigham. Though I understand his motivation, can't see Nucky actually retiring. Why did Nucky feel the need to remove his sling before seeing Chalkie? Cannot believe that moron Neary is going to be the new treasurer. Does Eli have any kind of loyalty to anyone? So glad that Jimmy is onto Mickey Doyle.

You ready? You look ready.
Oh man, you're getting to the really good part of season 2.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Ep 9 of Season Two. Loved Nucky's explanation for his cast. Poor Emily, why are they doing this to this little girl? No matter what Nucky does for this McGarricle guy, he's not happy. Thought he were done with Dunn Purnsley. I had a feeling about Esther and her assistant. "And keep him away from small children and nursing mothers." This is Nucky's idea of "retiring"? "I'd be careful about where I order my cutlets." That shot of Emily's doll in the fire was very unsettling. Deputy Halloran is an idiot. "Let's not lie to each other Mr. McGarricle. Whenever men like you need to win, you turn to men like me." That opening shot of the cleaver in the butcher scene wasn't subtle at all. That scene in the kitchen was awesome, but will it really change anything? So glad McGarricle is out of the picture. what the hell was Margaret thinking? Why was Jimmy now thinking below his waist? I'm starting to not believe anything that comes out of Owen's mouth.

Season Two ep 10. Is Van Alden seriously shocked by the arrival of divorce papers? Of course, the doctors are being completely vague about Emily's condition and Margaret thanks it can be handled with money. It's funny that Jimmy is ambivalent about branching out into heroine. I hate Nucky's attorney...what a pompous ass. His firing should have happened like four episodes ago. Teddy was wrong for what he did but Margaret overreacted. What gives these guys the right to come after the picketers with baseball bats? "I hope the meter's not running, I hate to think I'm being paid to be told I'm a fool." Where was Eli when Holloran was getting the crap beaten out of him? OMG, Eli set up Halloran. At least Chalkie and Jimmy met even if nothing was accomplished. I totally missed t hat Teddy witnessed Nucky burning down the house. Not exactly sure why Jimmy can't sell this booze now. Why does Esther want to go off the record for something that can't be proven? This priest that Margaret is putting all her trust in is about as greasy as they come. Wy do I have a feeling that when Jimmy leaves town this time he's not coming back? The Butcher really crossed the line...the gloves are off now.

season Two, Ep 11. Finally someone came forward about the "baptism". If Van Alden's childhood story was supposed to evoke sympathy for him, that ship has sailed. Shouldn't that room have been blocked off as a crime scene? There's only one reason we are now getting backstory on Jimmy. Didn't know Eli was looking at the chair. I always suspected Tommy wasn't planned. That sicko Gillian was actually getting aroused watching Jimmy beat up his professor. Jimmy could never have a healthy relationship with a woman after what Gillian did to him. He and Angela didn't stand a chance. Everything Jimmy said in that enlistment scene was a lie. Van Alden just keeps digging a deeper grave for himself. Buscemi was chilling in that scene with Margaret. I wanted to cheer when Jimmy started strangling his mother, like when McMurphy strangled Nurse Ratched in Cuckoo's Nest. God, that Gillian....ice, ice, baby.

OK, it's the season two finale. Jimmy wasn't playing wit those Kalnsmen. I hope we weren't supposed to feel bad for them. That scene between Kelly MacDonald and Juliane Nicholson was excellent...still can't t ell what Margaret is going to do. When did Margaret and Nucky start sleeping separately? Did you see Gillian's eyes when the word "will" was mentioned? Wonder what the legalities are regarding Jimmy tearing up that will. Neary....it's about time. Can't believe everyone got off but Halloran. It seems like Nucky is a little too comfortable with this being all over. I liked that Richard offered to take care of The Butcher for Jimmy. Why did Jimmy go to this meeting unarmed? I saw this coming but I don't have to be happy about it. Jimmy was the heart of this show. Margaret got the last laugh though.

I'm not happy with the demise of my favorite character, Jimmy Darmody during the season two finale finale, but not totally surprised either because it is rumored that Michael Pitt has a reputation for being difficult to work with, but I am still willing to plunge into season three. Another favorite actor of mine, Bobby Cannavale, has joined the cast as Gyp Rosetti. The character was provided a very explosive introduction. Mickey Doyle is not the brightest bulb in the row. That suit Kelly MacDonald was wearing in her first scene was stunning. When did Gillian become a madam? "If it weren't for married men, we'd be out of business dear." They can't find anything better for Richard to do than be a whorehouse bouncer. Al Capone was deaf? Nucky's New Year's Eve party should be quite the event. "You run an open event bizaar. alcohol to the highest bidder." There are few actors who play greasy better than Christopher McDonald. Wow, the Thompsons have a whole hospital wing named after them? Loved that pathetic Van Alden trying to go door to door on New Year's Eve. It was lovely seeing Richard bond with Tommy. I hate that Tommy thinks of Gillian as his mother. That doctor was unnecessarily rude to Margaret...there are a lot more people to blame for what happened to that woman than Margaret. Like the guy playing Eddie Cantor. "Well, he left town and I chewed through it." "Must be all the sawdust between those caulifowers." Where did Nucky get all that jewelry? When did Mucky start working exclusively with Rothstein? Rosetti is definitely not interested in making friends and influencing people. why do we care about the Butcher's wife? An attempt to provide sympathy for the character? That ship sailed when he displayed his propensity with a meat cleaver. I don't get what this woman sees in Van Alden, except an opportunity to for instant motherhood. Didn't realize that hospital wing was possible because of that land Margaret gave away. Glad that Nucky could do nothing to prevent that. Two more bite the dust. Surprised Nucky is so upset about being the hospital...that would be such great optics for him. "The only place I can completely rest my head." Solid season opener with terrific direction from Tim Van Patten.

Season Three. ep 2 on deck: Love the tile of this episode, "Spaghetti and Coffee" can't wait to learn the significance of that. Didn't understand the bit with the goldfish. I thought Eli was exonerated from his charges. I was thinking the exact same thing when Eli asked Mickey how is it that he's still alive. I love the way Rosetti is so mysterious about his specific business outside some cases of rum. So Nucky and Margaret are separated again? Nucky has some cajones being upset that Billie might be cheating on him. Is Billie being kept by Rothstein? That has to be driving Nucky nuts. What an interesting diagnosis Chalkie got from his daughter's boyfriend, didn't see that coming. Margaret is a little too obsessed with this woman who had the miscarriage. Stephen Root has now joined the cast a crooked fed. Why is this doctor being such a prick to Margaret? Loved that scene with Chalkie and his daughter...started one way and did a complete 180. well, it took 34 minutes into the episode, but got the significance of the title. Why was Gyp pretending not to know what spaghetti was? Margaret got awfully cocky between season two and season three. Loved that scene with Eli and his son, Will, great work by Shea Wigham. You just know working for Mickey is killing Eli on the inside. I like Billie, she's not a brainless bimbo like Lucy, Samuel did not deserve that, I'm glad Dunn sent a message. Michael Kenneth Williams nailed his part in that scene. An impressively subdued finale.

Of all the actors that was in this series, the one I always am happy to see working is Jack Huston, who played Richard Harrow. Always felt he could be a big star someday.

I'm not happy with the demise of my favorite character, Jimmy Darmody during the season two finale finale, but not totally surprised either because it is rumored that Michael Pitt has a reputation for being difficult to work with, but I am still willing to plunge into season three. Another favorite actor of mine, Bobby Cannavale, has joined the cast as Gyp Rosetti. The character was provided a very explosive introduction. Mickey Doyle is not the brightest bulb in the row. That suit Kelly MacDonald was wearing in her first scene was stunning. When did Gillian become a madam? "If it weren't for married men, we'd be out of business dear." They can't find anything better for Richard to do than be a whorehouse bouncer. Al Capone was deaf? Nucky's New Year's Eve party should be quite the event. "You run an open event bizaar. alcohol to the highest bidder." There are few actors who play greasy better than Christopher McDonald. Wow, the Thompsons have a whole hospital wing named after them? Loved that pathetic Van Alden trying to go door to door on New Year's Eve. It was lovely seeing Richard bond with Tommy. I hate that Tommy thinks of Gillian as his mother. That doctor was unnecessarily rude to Margaret...there are a lot more people to blame for what happened to that woman than Margaret. Like the guy playing Eddie Cantor. "Well, he left town and I chewed through it." "Must be all the sawdust between those caulifowers." Where did Nucky get all that jewelry? When did Mucky start working exclusively with Rothstein? Rosetti is definitely not interested in making friends and influencing people. why do we care about the Butcher's wife? An attempt to provide sympathy for the character? That ship sailed when he displayed his propensity with a meat cleaver. I don't get what this woman sees in Van Alden, except an opportunity to for instant motherhood. Didn't realize that hospital wing was possible because of that land Margaret gave away. Glad that Nucky could do nothing to prevent that. Two more bite the dust. Surprised Nucky is so upset about being the hospital...that would be such great optics for him. "The only place I can completely rest my head." Solid season opener with terrific direction from Tim Van Patten.
I've also heard the rumors about Michael Pitt, but regardless of that, I felt that his demise worked really well for Nucky's arc.

Season 3 Ep 3. That was a weird dream Nucky had. Has Rothstein done something to Billie? Why is it so important to Margaret to see the Bishop? I have no love lost for Van Alden but those guys in his office were acting like 5th graders. I don't know how long Nucky can control Gyp. Is Gillian part of Luciano's heroine operation? God, I wanna smack that doctor in the mouth. Really enjoying Margaret's interest in the hospital if it's sincere. Gillian gets free booze because she's Jimmy's mother? n "I'm much too tough, sweetie...you'll crack a tooth." That runner Benny will be dead before the season is out, you heard it here. Is it wrong that I'm enjoying Van Alden's misery? Can't believe it was Mickey who shot the Butcher. Despite where they are right now, Nucky and Margaret still care about each other. There's some serious chemistry between Bobby Cannavale and Gretchen Mol. "So consider yourself initiated in the world of bullsh*t and blarney." And Van Alden's fall from grace continues. I wanted to cry when Richard exp[lained why he did what he did. I knew what was up when that cop told Gyp good luck, though they did sort of telegraph it. SO relieved that Billie isn't dead, I like her. Bobby Cannavale is crushing it as Gyp Rosetti

Season 3 Ep 4. Owen and Mickey both need to watch their step with Nucky. Sanitary napkins were non-existent before the 1920's? Who is Rowland Smith? "Go buy yourself a personality." "You stir...I'll provide the heat." Why was Rowland being such a smart-ass with Nucky? That scene in the cellar reminded me of the Von Trapps hiding from the Nazis in The Sound of Music. I still say Benny's big mouth will have him dead before the season is out. What has happened to the Sheriff's department since Eli left? That scene with Capone and his son was fantastic. Luciano is trying to keep his new heroin business close to the vest but I'm not sure how much longer he can do that. How long were Nucky and Owen trapped in that cellar with Rowland? Al Capone...taking care of business...damn. Loved that shot of the blood dripping through the wooden cellar steps. This episode would have been a great Emmy reel for Stephen Graham.