Donald Trump for President?

Tools    

Yeah, that was about the 2012 election.

I didn't think he would win this time, either, but the political climate was different enough that I wasn't similarly dismissive.

I won't vote for him because I would want Ivana Trump for First Lady and that won't happen.
Quotes from 2011 part 1
Well, I said that jokingly, but even then, I wanted a Trump in the White House. Just Ivana.

There are many reasons I quickly became disenchanted with engaging in these discussions. The first example goes back to the start, when I talked about how I like that Trump is a rare candidate in that he's not getting tons of donor money from special interests. So if he can win he stands a better chance at serving the American people, rather than simply serving the elite classes who usually fund these presidential campaigns. Then you talked about how it wasn't self-funding because he took out loans. Which really kind of mucked up the point, because regardless he isn't nearly as tied up with the special interests as other candidates.
I addressed this head on at the time, though. Saying he's not as "tied up with the special interests" implies he's been freed up to do what's right for you, yeah? But that carries two assumptions with it:

1) He knows what's right for you.
2) He wants to do what's right for you.

If both of these things aren't also true, then it doesn't matter how little money he's taken from special interests. So when I point out that he's lied about war, or misled people about how he's funding his campaign, or has no grasp of the issues, that's actually a direct response to what you're saying. Being free of the influence of special interests is meaningless if it just means he's replacing their interests with his, instead of yours, or if he has no idea how to serve your interests to begin with. Like, for example, if he thinks he can help you by starting a trade war.

Here we are in September, and as of the update I found from the end of August, sure enough- Hillary Clinton has raised $131.0 Million in Super-Pacs, and Trump has received 10 TIMES LESS than that from these elite special interests groups. $12.1 Million
I think you've completely misunderstood what Super PACs are. They are not "elite special interest groups," and that isn't money raised by the candidates. In fact, they're legally forbidden to coordinate with the campaigns in any way. Direct contributions, then, would be a much better comparison if you're actually trying to measure influence.

Those issues aside: why do you think this is a sliding scale? If we took two people off the street and gave $10 million to one of them to try to screw you (uh, metaphorically speaking), and gave the other $20 million for the same reason...would you trust either? Or would you conclude that both had been sufficiently bought off, and the second wasn't really "more" bought off in any meaningful sense?

A basic point I want to make is there's a fine line in these political discussions. What I mean by that is, when someone reads a message like this- they're not sure whether the writer is simply expressing their own thoughts OR actually trying to change you, the reader's mind. I just want to say I'm not trying to speak for anyone other than myself. I respect other people's right to form their own world views, and I don't feel it is my place to tell someone else who they should or should not support and the reasons why and all that.
C'mon, sure you do. You're not posting all that anti-Hillary stuff just for fun. You're indirectly telling people they should not support her. And that's fine! That's what happens when people don't agree and have a discussion about it. There's nothing unfair about it.

So naturally when the American national media tried to do exactly that to the American people, in its attack on Donald Trump, it really just made me like him more.
I think you know I'm no fan of the media, so this is one area where we sort of agree. But liking someone because they're hated by the right people is a good way to get taken advantage of. And whether you like the media or not, and whether they're always fair or not, there's really no way around the fact that a lot of these scandals are totally legitimate, and totally self-created by Trump.

I know it may seem that because I don't engage and tend to just like to post images and gifs, that I'm not thoughtful about choosing leaders. That's really pretty far from the truth.
There's a really easy way to prove this: be candid about your thought process.

I already know you're intelligent and thoughtful, so I know there's no way you really believe all these things are invented or distorted. You can see Trump on video saying one thing, then saying he never said it. You've seen the proof, so you know the criticism is fair. So why not come out and say "yeah, he did all that, but I dislike Hillary more anyway"? We all know what he's done whether his supporters admit it or not, and when they refuse to give any ground, it just makes it easier to believe they're deluding themselves, as opposed to merely wrong. And it's that stonewalling that leads to all the dogpiling.

That, and I'm also the worst rep whore in MoFo history, and this thread is trash for my reps per post ratio.
Well, hopefully you've noticed how much rep you get when you give a more thoughtful response to this stuff, like now.

Apparently people like the Huff post are mad at Jimmy Fallon for "humanizing" Trump.

:facepalm

https://www.google.com/amp/m.huffpos...?client=safari

Trump is a liar and all around bad person but should it not matter if a comedian takes a more neutral stance?
You are using common sense. Stop it!

There are certain people who foam at the mouth at the idea of destroying the people on the opposite side of the political spectrum they identify with. Anything that is not seeking to destroy them is seen at helping them. That is unacceptable in the eyes of these people.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Hopefully Trump will just nuke the entire middle east and be done with it.

Hopefully Trump will just nuke the entire middle east and be done with it.
Ya too bad the allies stopped Hitler from getting done with the Jew problem, too

You are using common sense. Stop it!

There are certain people who foam at the mouth at the idea of destroying the people on the opposite side of the political spectrum they identify with. Anything that is not seeking to destroy them is seen at helping them. That is unacceptable in the eyes of these people.
I know youre kidding but it is telling too. Im very vocal against Trump, but wont try and dissuade you because your reasonings for voting for him are sound. So then shouldnt I silence myself to anyone wanting to vote Trump for any reason, even if its no reason other than they want to?! Maybe, yes .....but damn its hard when the guy makes a joke out of us daily.

Ive been against candidates before, but nothing like this because theres never been anyone before like him. I honestly dont feel like Im talking politics as much as just screaming "No! Dont do it! Dont jump!", Im serious

I guess my point is, Im not trying to disrespect you or all the Trump supporters, it truly is just fear. I really am scared what a Trump presidency could do to our nation, and ramifications throughout the world. This isnt a reality show, this isnt tv, this isnt a game.
Sorry if this is random, just wanted to type it while I was thinking about it

I completely understand the sentiment Tongo, but we have checks and balances for a reason. He will not be able to rule unilaterally. The thing that frustrates us so much because our policies get bogged down in bureaucracy are exactly what will keep us safe if he becomes president.

And at this rate it looks like Trump looks like is going to win. Is he going to build a wall for real? Well, if they make it right it could last for thousands of years and be known as the Great Wall of America to keep the "barbarians from the south" out of the middle kingdom.

And at this rate it looks like Trump looks like is going to win. Is he going to build a wall for real? Well, if they make it right it could last for thousands of years and be known as the Great Wall of America to keep the "barbarians from the south" out of the middle kingdom.
Yknow, hasnt anyone considered that this wall would be a structure absolutely contradicting the structure of the Statue of Liberty?! I mean, Statue Of Liberty says "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore." So what are they gonna do? Etch in stone "except those Mexicans" at the end of it?

Yknow, hasnt anyone considered that this wall would be a structure absolutely contradicting the structure of the Statue of Liberty?! I mean, Statue Of Liberty says "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore." So what are they gonna do? Etch in stone "except those Mexicans" at the end of it?
Precisely. Trump's ideology is by definition anti-American.

The US is the implementation of the ideas of the enlightenment of a free open democratic society that's inclusive.

Trump wants to close the country and make it exclusive. In other words, he wants to destroy the whole principle by which the country was founded. And to add insult to injury, Trump is also descendant of immigrants from the 19th century.

Mmm... yes and no. I certainly get your point, but there are a lot of things in American history since 1886 (year statue opened) that could be viewed as the opposite of the Statue of Liberty.

It didn't need to be stated in the inscription, but it's understood that the statue welcomes immigrants who wish to enter the country legally. In fact, the island on which it stands was a terminal where immigrants would be processed though a complicated system of documents, checks, examinations, quarantines, etc.

The wall's purpose is supposed to be a barrier against illegal trespassers.

It's the difference between welcoming a hungry person into your house to feed them... or finding a trespasser who's broken in. With the first, you'd sit down and break bread, but for the other you'd probably seek to physically incapacitate them as quickly & forcefully as possible before calling the police.

Personally, I'm not huge on the wall, at the same time I'm not against it - I'd need to know more about it's cost, who's paying for it, how it will be maintained and how feasible is it?

I saw an interesting news blurb a while back (obviously anti-Trump) with a reporter going along the border explaining how the wall is absolutely impossible to build and would consist of multiple open points (for streams, rivers, gullies, hills, etc.) where the best that could be erected is a wooden fence.