Overrated films

Tools    

Are there any films that you feel are overrated? If so, which?

I'll start with:

Avatar. Nice special effects but non-existent plot.

Frozen. Don't get me wrong, I like this film, but the fact that it is the 6th most successful film in terms of fiance is crazy. The Wind Rises and Wolf Children are better movies that got shut out because of the surprise success of this film and that is disappointing.

I always saw Avatar's plot as a metaphor for US history and how the early Americans treated the natives.

Overrated films that come to mind are Man of Steel, Transformers (the entire franchise), Master and Commander (what a snooze fest; the only movie I ever walked out on).
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Calling Avatar overrated is overrated. If everyone says it's overrated then it really can't be
But it still has a high IMDb score so there are obviously many who rate it.

But it still has a high IMDb score so there are obviously many who rate it.
True. That's a function of everyone loving it when it came out and not changing their ratings when they realised it wasn't cool to like it

On a site like Criticker it has an average Tier of 5.8 out of 10 which makes it slightly above average - definitely not highly rated.

On this site I'm about the only person who really likes it

The Hobbit. Un-watchable it was so bad. The goblin chase seen made me facepalm so hard five people over heard the smack. Everyone cheered in the theater and I hung my head in shame. I watched it with my family and they all talked about how much they liked it in a restaurant over dinner after the movie. I kept silent and only said, "I didn't like it," when asked directly.

the internet would be a better place if the word overrated were banned from use

Are there any films that you feel are overrated? If so, which?

I'll start with:

Avatar. Nice special effects but non-existent plot.
TOTALLY agree with your statement .

and if you want my own opinion about the subject all The Lord Of The Ring trilogy is very OVERRATED .

I totally agree with the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films being overrated. I fell asleep watching the first Ring movie. It was a painful experience

Massively overrated movie is The Hangover, they got built up as the funniest movie ever but thats bull when i watched it i was so disappointed.... I watched The Naked Gun last night and was laughing throughout, The Hangover may haave sneaked a chuckle out of me and that was because of Tyson's acting.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I totally agree with the Lord of the Rings and Hobbit films being overrated. I fell asleep watching the first Ring movie. It was a painful experience
If you got some sleep, it couldn't be that painful.

I agree that The LOTR's trilogy and Avatar were overrated. Pretty much every Hollywood blockbuster is overrated. Ugh, pretty much every Hollywood movie is overrated...

That's the best one. Did you not see the rest?

I never overrate movies, myself. Or underrate them. I always rate them exactly right.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

If you got some sleep, it couldn't be that painful.

True, but the seat I was sleeping on was malfunctioned. The movie was so boring, even an uncomfortable seat couldn't keep me awake.

That's the best one. Did you not see the rest?

Nope. Didn't bother watching them. One was enough torture for me

Terminator 2: Judgement Day. I think this is overrated because most people like it better than the first even though the first was way better. At least Arnold actually seemed like a robot in the first one.

Terminator 2: Judgement Day. I think this is overrated because most people like it better than the first even though the first was way better. At least Arnold actually seemed like a robot in the first one.
Arnold seems like a robot in every film he's ever done.