Great cinematography in cruddy movies

Tools    

OK, this is a thread for cinematoghraphy fans.

Often the best photographers in the business work with the best directors, and so it's probably not surprising that one of the many ingredients to a truly great film is the cinematography. But every once in a while, the best lensers in the biz find themselves attached to projects that just don't work....except that their skills are still very much evident. What are some of your favorite examples of great cinematography in movies that just aren't any good?

Two of mine...

Darius Khondji's In Dreams (1999)
Neil Jordan struck out with this dumb attempt at a serial killer with a psychic twist flick, despite a good cast including Annette Bening and Robert Downey Jr. While the result is tedious, the photography is first-rate (as is the production design for that matter - the abandoned underwater town is perfect). As far as the look of the film, it's nearly the equal of Darius' best work with Caro & Jeunet (Delicatessen & City of Lost Children) and David Fincher (SE7EN & Panic Room). Too bad it's stuck in an otherwise forgettable movie.

Emmanuel Lubezki's Great Expectations (1998)
Alfonso Cuarón had a decent idea to work with, as modernizing Charles Dickens could have worked. Could have, but it didn't. It's a pretentious clunker that supposes Ethan Hawke's brooding, Gwyneth Paltrow's near nakedness and DeNiro and Anne Bancroft chewing up scenery is enough to forgive sloppy story telling of a pretty solid story. It isn't. BUT it is simply a BEAUTIFUL film to look at. Gorgeous. Lubezki suffered a similar fate with Meet Joe Black, also released the same year. But while that flick is just plain dull, Great Expectations is boring plus dumber than dirt and annoying too. Plus Expectations is the far prettier of the two.

So those are two movies I would recommend seeing for the cinematography alone (assuming they are at least letterboxed). What movies have you been blown away by the photography that otherwise you found almost a complete waste of time?
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Randomly visiting for now
Glory (1989)
- Pros -> Great cinematography and mood setting
- Cons -> Mathew Broderick, Mathew Broderick, Mathew Broderick

Ok this movie wasn't that bad, but Mathew Broderick just made it cruddy for me.

Eduardo Serra's What Dreams May Come (1998)
Portugese DP Serra has done some lovely work in period peices, such as Girl with a Pearl Earring, Jude and Wings of the Dove, and his work on M. Night's Unbreakble is very distinctive. But his most complex and still stunning work is What Dreams May Come, which despite being based on a Richard Matheson novel and being blessed with inventive visual effects is a bit of a disaster otherwise. Director Vincent Ward has no touch for the complicated layers of tone needed to pull off such a dark yet hopeful fantasy, and the movie is very uneven and unsatisfying. But it is a work of art to look at, thanks in large part to Eduardo's cinematography.

So many good movies, so little time.

Alvarez Kelly(1966)

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."- Groucho Marx

The People's Republic of Clogher
The most recent examples of this I've seen are The Village and The Ladykillers (2004) - Roger Deakins trying to get into the silk purse manufacturing business (but not quite succeeding).

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Every American musical made in the Sixties.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
Originally Posted by susan
legends of the fall
OH MY GOSH THANK YOU

*chants* Moulin Rouge! Moulin Rouge! Moulin Rouge!

I am currently watching The Forgotten and am impressed with Anastas N. Michos' work.

My Top 100 favorite movies.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal
OH MY GOSH THANK YOU

*chants* Moulin Rouge! Moulin Rouge! Moulin Rouge!
I both agree and disagree with you. The film looks fantastic but is ruined by the editing, not the film itself. It could have been great.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

"I can't help it..."
I thought Don E. FauntLeRoy's work on Jeepers Creepers 2 was quite impressive, for a film of that nature anyway.
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!

Lets put a smile on that block
im watching Far From Heaven with Jullianne Moore...well not with her, but in kind of creepy spirit style as shes in the film...anyway, im not a huge fan of the film, i dont think there's enough of a story to keep it interesting, and Quad isnt as good as he should be as the gay husband. But i love the way it looks, beautiful lighting and great sweeping camera angles set amongst and autumn New England set, its so pretty.

The Outsiders

Body Double

The Untouchables

The War of the Roses

Raising Cain

Snake Eyes

How about the original cinematography by Stephen H. Burum? A lot of the films he’s been associated with haven’t been well received, while others have become modest classics. Personally, I have really liked some of ‘his’ films, just because of the cinematography; though I knew not that that was my reasoning. Now I’m having to rethink a few things.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Put me in your pocket...
Great posts everyone! This is an interesting thread to read.

Girl with a Pearl Earring (2003)
I know this isn’t a crummy movie...but because of the story’s progression and ending this wasn’t a satisfiying movie for me. However...I absolutely LOVED the way it looked. Alot of the shots were like a Vermeer painting. Earthy, simple...and yet stunning at the same time...and brilliant at highlighting a moment in time. Just beautifully done...at least for me.

Brian, I had to look Stephen H. Burum up. I have to thank you...I didn't realize he had directed Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen (2004). I think this can also be placed in this catagory. Again, I don't think it was crummy, but it was aimed at the teenage girl market so it won't be a classic. But I really think it was the way he did this movie that made it charming and funny instead of falling into the complete crap area like Sleepover was.

It's been ages since I've seen War of the Roses. What did you like and/or not like about it? The other movies you've mentioned, I haven't seen yet.

So many good movies, so little time.
I liked The Untouchables and The War of the Roses.

I'll never forget seeing The War of the Roses in the theater and having the whole audience groan when at one point the couple decided to continue their war. Black comedy at its best and the ending was great.

Yeah, DeVito's The War of the Roses is a great black comedy. It's certainly one of the very best mainstream efforts of the '80s (a little movie like Bob Balaban's Parents surpasses it). Stephen Burum's cinematography is definitely nice in that flick, but it's a great overall movie and need not be picked off from the herd for such a thread as this.

BARBARA: When I watch you eat, when I see you asleep, whenever I look at
you lately...I just want to smash your face in.

And yes, the final bit where Oliver uses his last breath of life to put his hand on his wife then she, in turn, uses her last breath of life to knock it away is fu*kin' brilliant.

All the links I supplied are movies that I personally like, especially The Outsiders which is on my top 100 list. I posted the links to show that after knowing he worked on all of them, you can see the similarities in their cinematography.

Yet, not many of the movies he has worked on have been all that well received, though it can’t be argued that they didn’t look good. I like his work best when he works with De Palma (except The Outsiders which is one of the best he's ever filmed). I can’t help it.

Flame away.

I always hated Black Widow. But the late Conrad Hall's cinematography in that film was beatiful as usual.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by Holden Pike

BARBARA: When I watch you eat, when I see you asleep, whenever I look at
you lately...I just want to smash your face in.

And yes, the final bit where Oliver uses his last breath of life to put his hand on his wife then she, in turn, uses her last breath of life to knock it away is fu*kin' brilliant.
Love it.

I was wondering why you listed so many great movies in a thread called "Great cinematography in cruddy movies", Slay.