The MoFo Top 100 Documentaries Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Two solid docs, exciting and difficult to film. I could have easily had Burden of Dreams high on my list but, rightly or wrongly, I limited the number by/about Herzog.

Had both of these on my watch list but didn't get to them. I did have a Herzog on my list that I know won't make this one

Two more from my list.

1. The Times of Harvey Milk
5. Burden of Dreams
16. Harlan County, USA
18. Brother’s Keeper
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The People's Republic of Clogher
Burden of Dreams was my #9.

I could probably make a list for this thread which is entirely Herzog-themed and have an argument for every entry's inclusion. Didn't want to go mad, however, so only a small number made my eventual selection.

Burden of Dreams couldn't not be there.

(Henry Joost, Ariel Schulman, 2010)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1584016/

50 POINTS
5 LISTS

"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

For reasons I don't really know I've never wanted to see Catfish. That's quite unusual with me for a documentary.

That's Entertainment is awful, but then I would think that. It's hellish. Sadly there are others.

Master of My Domain
Look on the bright side Gatsby, there are still 72 films left.

For reasons I don't really know I've never wanted to see Catfish. That's quite unusual with me for a documentary.

That's Entertainment is awful, but then I would think that. It's hellish. Sadly there are others.
Don't know what That's Entertainment is like but you are right to stay away from Catfish, wouldn't be surprised if that ended up my least favourite Doc to make the Countdown.

J2ckass>Catfish

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I didn't like Catfish either, whether it's real or fake, but I feel it's about as real as The Blair Witch Project. No wonder the directors went on to make Paranormal Activity 3 & 4. But hey, it got 5 votes - the most so far. I should have put That's Entertainment! on my list, but there were actually so many of them, I didn't want to choose, so I just omitted it. I'm glad it made it w/o me.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I should have put That's Entertainment! on my list, but there were actually so many of them, I didn't want to choose, so I just omitted it. I'm glad it made it w/o me.

I watched That's Entertainment! 1,2, and 3 for this list, and just chose my favorite to include on my list. I wish I could have included all three, but I had too much other stuff that I also wanted to include.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Did you watch That's Dancing! too?

I've seen That's Dancing!, but not recently. I should have re-watched it for this countdown, but I guess I just forgot about it. It probably would have made my list if I had remembered it.

The People's Republic of Clogher
There's something a bit 'and you too can make films' about Catfish. Depressingly modern.

It's in heavy Netflix rotation, however - Like, favourite and subscribe. God, I feel old.