The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

You posted the same message twice, Thief.
There was a glitch in the matrix.

I got nothing.
Every night I decide to see one of the movies from the noir countdowns. And every night, it's unavailable. And by unavailable, I mean costs money.
Right? I go looking for ones I haven't seen as well but without fail they're only available to rent or buy. Title after title. Even the ones I consider obscure. I did find The Big Combo on Prime and will be watching it soon enough. But then you have to first be a Prime member. I've found others but you have to more or less get creative.

1 for 2. Have watched Old Boy but have never heard of The Naked Kiss. I've only seen four of Fuller's films but if I had to pick the next one it would have to be Pickup on South Street.

28 of 50 seen.

Seen 20/50.

12. The Dark Knight #61
18. Shutter Island #86
25. The Little Things - One-pointer

Old Boy is my #15! Taking 'flawed characters' to whole new levels, this one certainly pulls no punches. Extremely violent and dark, with a final confrontation that goes nothing like i expected.
WARNING: spoilers below
No fight. Instead, a complete breakdown, followed by the 's mutual breakdown and suicide. The only thing keeping it from ranking higher is the weird resolution. It is NOT okay for him to stay with her. And i always hate it when hypnotism is portrayed like this in serious films. It's guided meditation, not mind control.

I haven't seen Naked Kiss.

Seen: 25/50

My list so far:

3. Brick
8. Point Blank
11. Lost Highway
15. Old Boy
16. Basic Instinct
25. Under the Silver Lake

After saying for years that I should rewatch Oldboy, I finally got around to doing so in preparation for the Countdown. I'd mostly remembered the plot, but had forgotten a lot of the film's visual style, and those aesthetics are what really caught my attention and kept me interested during that most recent viewing. It ended up being on my list at #21.

I haven't seen the remake and have no desire to, but apparently I need to watch one of the other films revealed so far so that I can be at a solid 50% seen lol

Seen: 24/50

My List: 6
05. Blue Ruin (2013) - #82
06. Mother (2009) - #67
08. Strange Days (1995) - #65
10. The Man from Nowhere (2010) - #87
15. Infernal Affairs (2002) - #91
21. Oldboy (2003) - #52
25. The Chaser (2008) - DNP 1-pointer

A couple of twisted films. Oldboy was a wild ride when I first watched it and a lot of fun. For a while it was one of my go to international film recommendations for people who like the more edgy and action packed films - but nowadays it's pretty mainstream and widely seen. The Naked Kiss is a classic neo noir. It's been a long time since I saw it but I recall Fuller's direction and Constance Tower's performance were top quality.

Also there are a lot of films available on youtube to watch for free. For example:
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Welcome to the human race...
no votes. oldboy is solid, though it might well be my least favourite of park chan-wook's vengeance trilogy (or maybe tied with lady vengeance behind mr. vengeance) because it's probably the most straightforward of the three, but at the same time there's very little that's genuinely straightforward about a film as inherently twisted as this. at the very least, it still warrants enough of its reputation as a modern classic. the naked kiss is, like most fuller films i've seen, pretty good - it definitely feels like one of those films that marks a true delineating shift from "classic" noir to "neo" noir purely in terms of how it can blindside a modern audience who might expect something a little (a lot?) softer due to its vintage.

Oldboy has been on my watchlist. I've seen it once and was disappointed, but it's one where I think it's possible that I was just having a bad day.

Don't think I've seen The Naked Kiss but it looks good.

INTERMISSION

Have fun with these videos that talk a bit about what makes a film a neo-noir, while presenting some examples (at least from the perspective of those making the video). If you think there have been "contentious" choices in the list, try to expand your boundaries and see if they, at least, submit to one of these common traits. Have fun!

4lists79points
You Were Never Really Here
Director

Lynne Ramsay, 2018

Starring

Joaquin Phoenix, Judith Roberts, Ekaterina Samsonov, John Doman

5lists80points
Get Carter
Director

Mike Hodges, 1971

Starring

Michael Caine, Ian Hendry, Britt Ekland, John Osborne

TRAILERS

You Were Never Really Here - A traumatized veteran that works as an enforcer tries to track down a missing girl, and uncovers a conspiracy of corruption that could lead him to his own death.

Get Carter - A London gangster tries to track down the killers of his brother, who died under mysterious circumstances, taking him down a bloody trail of revenge through the seedy underbelly of Newcastle.

I think I briefly considered You Were Never Really Here, but cut it pretty early. Pretty good film with yet another great performance from Joaquin Phoenix. Should probably rewatch it, though.

Get Carter is one of those iconic neo-noir films I wanted to get to before the countdown, but just couldn't. Looks like the kind of thing I would enjoy, though.

SEEN: 30/52
MY BALLOT: 7/25

My ballot  

You Were Never Really Here is excellent. I rated it a 9/10, but it just missed my ballot. I found Get Carter to be underwhelming and rated it a 6/10.

Seen: 41/52

Reply to Topic