Thread of Shame

Tools    

It's more fun when you're specific
Hmmm...

At the end of Beyond the Black Rainbow.

WARNING: "Beyond The Black Rainbow" spoilers below
When you've already wasted our time dragging out every single ******* moment and conversation for an eternity, just have the villain finally confront the protagonist, take a single step and then immediately trip over his own feet and die instantly. Roll credits.

It's more fun when you're specific
This isn't specific either, but looking back at the post about characters pushing a gun forward... when people in movies are shot and fly backwards.

This has been shown to be a complete myth (unless perhaps the victim sees the gun and attempts to recoil under their own power when the trigger is pulled). Most shooting victims crumple and fall forward or to the side where they stand. Not even a point blank shot gun blast will make someone fly backward, it will leave a big hole in them, but it won't force them up off their feet & propel them backwards. (Yet it's depicted otherwise in virtually every violent movie.)

This isn't specific either, but looking back at the post about characters pushing a gun forward... when people in movies are shot and fly backwards.

This has been shown to be a complete myth (unless perhaps the victim sees the gun and attempts to recoil under their own power when the trigger is pulled). Most shooting victims crumple and fall forward or to the side where they stand. Not even a point blank shot gun blast will make someone fly backward, it will leave a big hole in them, but it won't force them up off their feet & propel them backwards. (Yet it's depicted otherwise in virtually every violent movie.)
Yeah, anyone with a basic high school education should know better.

Newton's 3rd law of physics states that if someone hit by a bullet flies backward then the person SHOOTING the bullet should fly backward too. equal/opposite reaction

People love this **** though I agree with you - it belongs in the thread.

I would be embarrassed to make a non-parody film that shows something like this.

Django Unchained welcome to the thread of shame.

She doesn't even fly in the right direction. She goes like 45 degrees to the side.
How god damn stupid this scene was cannot be understated.

Geez! It looked like she had a rope tied around her waist that a bunch of guys yanked!
Yanking won't get that effect, you've got to use gravity.
Climb up a ladder then jump off, jackie chan talks about it in his documentary.

I would be embarrassed to make a non-parody film that shows something like this.
TSCHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

That was so much worse than I expected it to be. I haven't see that movie. +1 Rep.

The movie, ATM, is a cluster**** of stupidity, but also home of one of the most unintentional gutbusters I've ever seen.

WARNING: "ATM" spoilers below
So because of stupid reasons these two adults find themselves trapped in an almost airtight ATM booth that's filling with water. Because it's winter and they'll freeze to death if they stay in the water, they climb on each other's shoulders to reach the fire detector and set it off with a small fire. The second they do, the guy beneath slips and the woman on his shoulders (who we've by this point established is also dumb as a brick) is slammed facefirst THROUGH a table killing her instantly.

I was so pleased.

Yeah, anyone with a basic high school education should know better.

Newton's 3rd law of physics states that if someone hit by a bullet flies backward then the person SHOOTING the bullet should fly backward too. equal/opposite reaction

People love this **** though I agree with you - it belongs in the thread.

Django Unchained welcome to the thread of shame.

She doesn't even fly in the right direction. She goes like 45 degrees to the side.
How god damn stupid this scene was cannot be understated.
Because clearly Tarantino was going for realism with that moment.

The Django clip is a homage to old shoot'em up films, where people would fly 20 feet in the air when getting shot. That clip was clearly meant as being amusing and over the top.

Personally I loved that scene and I laugh every time.

The Django clip is a homage to old shoot'em up films, where people would fly 20 feet in the air when getting shot. That clip was clearly meant as being amusing and over the top.

Personally I loved that scene and I laugh every time.
I agree!
That's the funniest scene in the whole movie.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Two endings for the Thread of Shame. The ending to Inglorious Basterds where it was obvious Tarantino wrote himself into a hole and went his typical B-movie homage crutch whenever that happens. Same with Django Unchained. (Spoilers stop reading this sentence) In fact they should have ended that movie when Waltz & Dicaprio died. From Dusk Till Dawn they should have ended after the Salma Hayek dance.

The Thin Red Line. Just all of it. Not all cinematographers make great directors folks, and Terrence Malick is living proof the overrated exist in the arthouse circles too.

Anything done by Gregg Araki, this generations Ed Wood.

Everything done lately by Adam Sandler. Hes killed his cred so bad he might soon switch to being Rob Schneiders backup.

This is for things that strike me as ridiculous.
Things that would make me embarrassed and ashamed if they ended up in a movie of my own.

First up the original

Red Dawn

A 30 year old patrick swayze plays a teenager.

The only difference between him and the teachers is that swayze is clean shaven.

The bad guys attack unarmed kids with rockets and helicopters with handguns.

Then the main characters drive into the mountains with a truck full of food and not a single bottle of water.

Then the first thing they do is hunt a deer… never mind all that food they collected and a complete lack of water
The entire cast of the 1978 musical Grease was at least 30 years or older and they were all playing teenagers.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Many movies are guilty of this, but I'm thinking specifically of Kill Bill..

When the main character is surrounded by 100 ninjas in the beginning - you know she's not going to die, so you have to watch (without trying to fall asleep) in disgust as she kills ALL of them by herself.

Many movies are guilty of this, but I'm thinking specifically of Kill Bill..

When the main character is surrounded by 100 ninjas in the beginning - you know she's not going to die, so you have to watch (without trying to fall asleep) in disgust as she kills ALL of them by herself.
You mean the Crazy 88? I didn't like that scene either.

Here's one: In the Evil Dead reboot near the end when she goes into the shack to look for a weapon, she looks DIRECTLY AT THE CHAINSAW, and doesn't take it. You got an audience waiting for that moment and you flipped 'em the bird with that scene instead.

Then when she eventually DOES get the chainsaw, we get what is probably the bloodiest moment in movie history by sheer virtue of blood rain and yet another example of stupid movie physics. At least a chainsaw is moving so it has some reason to propel anything it hits, but it's never going to turn somebody into a lawn sprinkler.

There was a scene in 1995's Batman Forever (and I know we can find scenes like this is most comic movies, but suspension of disbelief can only be taken so far)...

Batman and a bank guard are trapped in a vault that's been yanked out of the upper floors of a building and it's plummeting to the Earth (it's also filling up with acid, no less).
It's a bank vault so it's got to weigh many many tons... and it's FALLING hundreds of feet!.
Batman somehow is able to get a line on the vault (or something) and somehow the vault slows, but instead of just snapping whatever it's attached to or violently crashing back into the side of the building (killing the guy inside it),,, it swings back inside the building (apparently through the same hole it was yanked out of), gently sliding into an open area like an old man easing himself into a warm bath!

Somehow Batman was able to immobilize kinetic energy, negate gravity, change the laws of physics and alter the continuity of reality all in a few seconds. I never knew he had those kinds of powers!

I dislike plot holes, particularly in sci-fi. Almost anything involving time-travel annoys me. In bad sci-fi, technology is just magic by another name, and it is so often used to paper over plot-holes, to handwave inconsistencies and as a deus ex machina. There are too many examples to list; but failure to create a consistent and coherent plot is pure laziness on behalf of a screen-writer/ director.

Talking of something that is horribly inconsistent and incoherent, namely the entire series of Harry potter books and films; the one moment that irritates me is that moment (and this is Rowling's fault rather than the fault of the movies), when they just casually introduce time-travel as something effortless. How did you not realize that this device breaks every single plot point in all of your novels?

I love Nolan, but the "love is the key" message in Interstellar was foreshadowed so heavily early in the movie that it needed a spoiler warning. It is a stupid bloody ending regardless.

The device in every RomCom where their is a misunderstanding resulting in the couple temporarily splitting up, and no-one ever has a sensible discussion explaining the misunderstanding; rather the man acts like a bumbling moron, and the woman acts like a psychopath.