Movie Tab

Tools    

I must become Caligari..!
Hiroshima mon amour, 1959. Resnais
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

A system of cells interlinked
Friday

Kill Bill Vol 1 (yet again)

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
Originally Posted by Sedai
Les Diaboliques - Henri-Georges Clouzot - Exceptional film! An absolute masterpiece of tension and suspense, brilliantly acted and filmed.

I enjoyed much I did
I'm glad you found a copy! The suspense in this film is masterful! I'd like to talk to you more about this film, Sedai, but probably not in this thread. I'll post some comments in my reviews thread. Check there for the Les Diaboliques discussion.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

You ready? You look ready.
Kill Bill Vol.1 and The Matrix
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Do The Right Thing - 4/5

High Fidelity (2000)
Genre: -- Comedy --
Director: -- Stephen Frears --
My Rating: -- (out of 5)
Another nostalgic feel film, with a nice cast list.

Midnight Cowboy - 3.5/5

Put me in your pocket...
Black Narcissus (1947) ~ I liked it this bittersweet movie. It was beautifully done.

Originally Posted by John McClane
Romeo and Juliet, the old one. We just finished reading the play so, we got to watch it. Boring as crap.
I assume you probably mean the Franco Zeffirelli 1968 version of Romeo & Juliet. If so, I agree. I think Zeffirelli is a lousy adapter of Billy Shakespeare. His Taming of the Shrew is OK, saved mainly by the naturally firey chemestry between Liz Taylor and Dick Burton. But his Romeo is an opulent yawn, and his Hamlet with Mad Mel Gibson is just laughable and pedestrian. He tries too hard to bring the material to the masses, but what he should really be focusing on is the text, which is rather brilliant and stands the test of time again and again, and actors who understand how to bring it to life, which for centuries now has led right to the masses loving it. Franco's adapations are an odd combination of snooty production values and dumbed-down themes with good-looking actors hamming their way through iambic pentameter they don't really get.

Oh, well.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
I assume you probably mean the Franco Zeffirelli 1968 version of Romeo & Juliet. If so, I agree.
Yes, that's the one. I was so bored I fell asleep in class. Can you believe that? Everyone looked drowsy in that class.

I was so bored I fell asleep in class. Can you believe that? Everyone looked drowsy in that class.
But Olivia Hussey was cute, and actually quite close to Juliet's age too.
If you want a good Shakespeare adaptation, try Polanski's Macbeth, or better yet Kurosawa's Throne of Blood.
And sawdust restaurants with oyster shells

From The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock by T.S.Eliot

Originally Posted by bluebottle
But Olivia Hussey was cute, and actually quite close to Juliet's age too.
If you want a good Shakespeare adaptation, try Polanski's Macbeth, or better yet Kurosawa's Throne of Blood.
Yes, see was. I liked that one scene where well, you know . I really don't want to see any Shakespeare adaptation right now. I'm not saying anything bad about the guy just, I'm younger and think it's really, really boring. Maybe when I get older I'll read it again and watch some of the movies.

Do you know my poetry?
Short Cuts - ****
Directed by: Robert Altman
Written by: Robert Altman and Frank Barhydt
Starring: Andie Macdowell, Bruce Davison, Julianne Moore, Matthew Modine, Anne Archer, Fred Ward, Jennifer Jason Leigh, Chris Penn, Lili Taylor, Robert Downey, Jr., Madeleine Stowe, Tim Robbins, Lily Tomlin, Tom Waits, Frances Mcdormand, Peter Gallagher, Annie Ross, Lori Singer, Jack Lemmon, Lyle Lovett, Buck Henry, and Huey Lewis.
Released: 1993
Rated: R

My critique: Robert Altman's Short Cuts is definately a brilliant film. This has a terrific cast, and the stories Altman and Frank Barhydt write are fascinating. This is one of the greater films of the 90's.

Originally Posted by Aniko
I liked it this bittersweet movie. It was beautifully done.
I completely agree.

A system of cells interlinked
Cronos - Guillermo Del Toro

I liked the film, but the DVD had some annoying attributes. The subtitling was awful, and detracted slightly from my enjoyment, but overall I thought this was a well done low budget piece. Del Toro had a good eye back then it seems.

_S

I saw Envy last night, I recommend it. Christopher Walken was a real scene stealer and funny as hell.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."