Books You Have Read More Than Once

Tools    

Female Jungle Poster
Re-reading Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins for the umpteenth time. I think I'll use a few lines from this book in the "Famous Quotes" thread here.

"Exit, pursued by a bear." ~

Interview With The Vampire
The Vampire Lestat
Blood and Chocolate
Dreamland
Dante's Inferno
Hamlet
The Everything Dreams Book
The Rage
Odd Thomas

I'm currently reading The Myth of Sisyphus by Albert Camus for the second time.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I've read The Godfather so many times-- I can turn to any page and just start right in from there. Love that book, it's like an old friend.

I've read The Great Gatsby, King Solomon's Mines, To Kill A Mockingbird and 1984 many times.

Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Ninteen Eighty-Four
High Fidelity
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Time Machine
The Great Gatsby
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The Importance of Being Earnest
Downsize This
Things The Grandchildren Should Know

~Off the top of my head

The Bible

Fiction: Vonnegut, Vonnegut, Vonnegut!! Short, sweet, and always great. Also, The Grapes of Wrath, The Sun Also Rises, Song of Solomon, Ragtime, The Stranger

I read a lot more non-fiction, mainly on the subject of movies or art. These are ones that I highly recommend and refer back to all the time:

Ingmar Bergman's Persona, The Films of Ingmar Bergman
The Poetics of Space
Everything is Cinema
Concerning the Spiritual in Art
Transcendental Style in Film: Ozu, Bresson, Dreyer
Ozu: His Life and Films
, Ozu and the Poetics of Cinema
The Art of Alfred Hitchcock
The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality
The Philosophy of Martin Scorsese, Scorsese Up Close
The Early Film Criticism of Francois Truffaut
Towards a New Architecture

Seriously, read any one of these books and I guarantee you will find the experience rewarding and appreciate film all the more for it.

The pieta 'tis a beautiful image.

Ingmar Bergman's Persona, The Films of Ingmar Bergman
The Poetics of Space
Everything is Cinema
Concerning the Spiritual in Art
Transcendental Style in Film: Ozu, Bresson, Dreyer
Ozu: His Life and Films
, Ozu and the Poetics of Cinema
The Art of Alfred Hitchcock
The Universe in a Single Atom: The Convergence of Science and Spirituality
The Philosophy of Martin Scorsese, Scorsese Up Close
The Early Film Criticism of Francois Truffaut
Towards a New Architecture
WOW bro. THIS IS MY NEW READING LIST!!!!

I take it these were assigned for courses or something?

Ham On Rye - Charles Bukowski
South of No North - Charles Bukowski
Tales of Ordinary Madness - Charles Bukowski
The Day of the Triffids - John Wyndham
The Outsider - Albert Camus
I Am Legend - Richard Matheson
Software; Wetware; Freeware & Realware - Rudy Rucker
Cronenberg on Cronenberg - Edited by Chris Rodley
Ask the Dust - John Fante
Wait Until Spring Bandini - John Fante
Generation X - Douglas Coupland
Hello America - JG Ballard
How To Talk Dirty and Influence People - Lenny Bruce
Joe Bob Goes to the Drive-In - Joe Bob Briggs
Complete Prose - Woody Allen

The usuals first, Divine Comedy, Paradise Lost, Kalevala, Grimm Fairy Tales

The ones I actually enjoy more than once, At The Mountains of Madness, Kill Bill Diary, The Alchemist, anything by Vonnegut, The Myth of Mental Illness, The Idiot, The Voice Imitator, Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid, bunch of Nietzsche, History of Madness, TS Eliot poem collection, Haiku collection of Basho, Buson, and Issa, all the Greek tragedies, all of Aristophanes, Lolita, and of course The Bro Code

Those for study, the bible, the satanic bible, etc.

"He has all the time in the world ... "
I've read a lot of books more than once, but there are a few that I've read several times (often in different translations). These include: Dostoyevsky's The Brothers Karamazov & Crime and Punishment, Arthur Koestler's The Act of Creation, Milton's Paradise Lost (technically a narrative poem), Mysteries & Alien Dawn by Colin Wilson, Nihilists (a history of the Russian movement) by Ronald Kingsley & for some strange reason Patrick Tilley's Mission which I first read only a few years after it was first published.

http://www.patrick-tilley.com/mission/index.php

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, they get so complex that by the time a new one comes out you have to reread the series from the beginning. They are great books so I don't mind at all.

I grew up reading Alfred Hitchcock and the Three Investigators, so I have probably read them all quite a few times.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
It - Stephen King
The Shining - Stephen King
The Millennium Trilogy - Stieg Larsson
Lord of the Flies - William Golding
Anthem - Ayn Rand
The Bible
The Oath - Frank Peretti

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Roy Andrew Miller's A Japanese Reader: Graded Lessons for Mastering the Written Language
Samuel E. Martin's Essential Japanese: An Introduction to the Standard Colloquial Language
Yoko M. McClain's Handbook of Modern Japanese Grammar

I don't know how many times I've read these (not cover to cover, but cumulatively it must be dozens in the case of Martin). I spent five semesters translating the lessons in Miller's book (a very diverse collection of primary source readings first published in the 60s), and most of what I know about the Japanese language and culture come from those translations. That's where I first learned about the art of kamishibai from translating an old magazine article, for example.

I think I've read Hamlet 4 times now.
These others I've read twice.
Valis
Woman in the Dunes
The Box Man
Kangaroo Notebook
Tristram Shandy

Sudoku Blackbelt
I don't have any clue how many books I've read more than once, but here are a few that have affected me in some way, be it intellectually, emotionally, spiritually, or maybe just because it was a darn good story.

Last of the Mohicans ~ James Fenimore Cooper

Robinson Crusoe ~ Daniel DeFoe

Lonesome Dove ~ Larry McMurtry

It ~ Stephen King

An Open Heart ~ His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama

I don't have any clue how many books I've read more than once...
Yeah, that.

I've found that even though I know what a book is about, or if I'm intimately familiar with the material within, I sometimes will re-read something and it will affect me in a completely different way because I've changed much since the last time I encountered it.

It's kind of like returning to one's hometown after many years. It's kind of how you remember it but a lot is different due to an altered perception of things.

Did that make sense?