Television Tab

Tools    

Out of curiousity is it worth catching up with Homeland? I lost track about halfway through season 3 and thought that would be me throwing in the towel. However I've seen quite a lot of good reviews and positive talk for season 4. Did it get itself back on track somewhat?
I've watched up to episode 5 of series 4, but must admit to struggling through it. Clare Danes does such a good job of Carrie that it's only her volatility that keeps me watching. I've got a couple of episodes still waiting on record but haven't been itching to watch them.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I've started yet another series, this time it's Arrow. Saw the first 3½ episodes last night.

I've been watching "Arrow" every week since it started, and it's a good show most of the time, (but not great). The problem is that they keep having flashback scenes of him on the island. At some point they need to realize that it's enough already. We get it. He was stranded on an island, and bad stuff happened to him there. They need to move on.

I'm also not a fan of the actor who stars as Oliver/Arrow. He's not a likeable character at all. (I think he's actually the least likable character on the show.)

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I finished season 1 of Dexter. I'm disappointed in that it seemed to lose intensity as the season went on. I'd rate the first six or seven episodes an A, and the last five or six a B. For instance:

WARNING: "SPOILERS" spoilers below
I suspected the first time I saw the doctor that he was the ice truck killer. And it was so obvious he was Dexter's brother, but I held out hope they'd go for something more original. The sister started off the show as merely annoying. The better she got at her job the more intolerable she became. So whiny, so needy, and so selfish. I just wished they killed her off. And the worse part was all the cheesy, bogus psychology they incorporated into Dexter, totally ruining the very thing that made the show so intriguing. He throws up when entering the bloody room? Please. As well, he's now in a semi-normal relationship, with a girlfriend who can be as needy and clingy as his sister.

Well, on to season 2. I hope it rekindles the magic of the show as it was when it started.
I'd at least watch season 3 & 4. If you think Debra is whiny and needy you may want to stop at season 7. I didn't think it was near as bad as I heard it was, but there is a lot of Debra whining. I like her, so I wasn't bothered.

I've been watching "Arrow" every week since it started, and it's a good show most of the time, (but not great). The problem is that they keep having flashback scenes of him on the island. At some point they need to realize that it's enough already. We get it. He was stranded on an island, and bad stuff happened to him there. They need to move on.

I'm also not a fan of the actor who stars as Oliver/Arrow. He's not a likeable character at all. (I think he's actually the least likable character on the show.)
I've seen the first 8 episodes now, and it's more exciting than I had expected. For now I like the flashbacks, but yeah if they keep showing them in the later series, they might get annoying.

I get what you mean about Oliver, he's not my favourite either.

I've liked much of season 4 of Homeland, but it is carried by Claire Danes to an extraordinary effect, IMO.

I'm now eight episodes into season 2 of Dexter, and it's been a great pleasure. The sister has been less whiny, and the attempts to make Dexter more "human" have been handled in a far more interesting way. And I love the story of a killer having to cover their tracks. Reminds me a bit of the Ripley books. Also pleased that they've reduced and in most episodes eliminated the flashbacks to his foster father's lessons. Season 1 was handicapped because once it was known who the ice truck killer was that whole mystery was destroyed. It was a big reason the season went downhill.

WARNING: "SPOILER" spoilers below
Also forgot to mention earlier how disappointing and annoying it was that for all of Dexter's sixth sense on picking up on other serial killers,he couldn't tell Rudy was the killer.

So I've now watched 20 episodes in basically three days, but unfortunately I'll have to slow down now for the next three days. But there's still time to watch one more episode before I go to bed.

I'm 5 episodes through The Shield and I really love it so far! This last episode was the best I've seen until now, but again it caught my attention at the first episode already, so I'm defiantly hooked - and was from the start!

A show that didn't get me at first episode was though, was The Sopranos. I never really wanted to watch the next episode and it was hard to spot that "future greatness" in it.

It took 5 damn episodes, but now finally there was one I really did enjoy. Episode 5 "College" of The Sopranos is defiantly the best so far. I knew nothing going in, but after some reading I realized it is a praised episode and it also won an Emmy for its script, so no wonder I loved it. Let's hope I keep on feeling the same about the show in future episodes...

A show that didn't get me at first episode was though, was The Sopranos. I never really wanted to watch the next episode and it was hard to spot that "future greatness" in it.

It took 5 damn episodes, but now finally there was one I really did enjoy. Episode 5 "College" of The Sopranos is defiantly the best so far. I knew nothing going in, but after some reading I realized it is a praised episode and it also won an Emmy for its script, so no wonder I loved it. Let's hope I keep on feeling the same about the show in future episodes...
I've seen the first season of The Sopranos, then bought the boxset with all the seasons, and have still to start on season two, even if I bought it ages ago .

I've seen the first season of The Sopranos, then bought the boxset with all the seasons, and have still to start on season two, even if I bought it ages ago .
Yeah, I'm sticking with it for a season at the least... Hopefully I love it enough to keep going.

I'm a bit hot and cold on historical series Mistique. What do you think? They always seem to be so lushly done when life must've been a hell of a lot more grimy .

Anyone else keeping up with The Fall series 2? I watched ep 4 and 5 (the penultimate) last night. It's a good psychological thriller, one of those where you have known the killer since the first episode of the first series but it's about the chase not the whodunnit. It does linger far too long on Gillian Anderson tho. I know she's gorgeous and a great actor, but it's getting a little creepy (pervy creepy I mean) the way the camera lingers on her every movement. It must be deliberate , but I don't like it.

I'm a bit hot and cold on historical series Mistique. What do you think? They always seem to be so lushly done when life must've been a hell of a lot more grimy .
I haven't started it yet, though my main problem might be that I will get bored.

My Sky box failed to record the third episode. I'd not seen the first two, so I sat down to watch them. I just couldn't get into it so I deleted them. I felt the first series seemed padded out as it was. I may well be missing something good (and as I like few things more than perving over Ms. Anderson it sounds like it am ) I decided to cut it lose. I may catch up with it at some time.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I'm 5 episodes through The Shield and I really love it so far! This last episode was the best I've seen until now, but again it caught my attention at the first episode already, so I'm defiantly hooked - and was from the start!

I never ended up loving The Sopranos the way other people did. I liked it and appreciated the characters and humor in it more than anything. I have episodes that I will go back and revisit but I'll never want to sit down and binge watch it again the way I do with some series. The story lines never really held my interest that much.

That's not to discourage you from watching it. I seem to be the only one in the world who doesn't think it's absolutely fantastic. Also it was well worth watching to me, just nothing I will ever love.

Something I have been watching that has absolutely surprised me is Modern Family. I'd seen a few episodes but didn't really get it. We ended up binge watching a lot of the third season and now I think it's one of the best things on tv. We got so tickled watching the episode where Lily says the really bad word that we missed half of it and had to watch it again.

I misjudged Sofía Vergara. I originally thought she was loud and obnoxious, but I adore her now. She is the funniest one on the show. I've never liked Ed O'Neil but he is great here and contributes to a lot of the show's sweeter warmer moments.

This will end up being a Friends type show for me.

Unregistered User
Anybody watching Olive Kitteridge? Only got through half of the first part last night but i really enjoyed it. McDormand great as usual and Richard Jenkins too.

Anybody watching Olive Kitteridge? Only got through half of the first part last night but i really enjoyed it. McDormand great as usual and Richard Jenkins too.
I just watched the trailer, it's going on my to-watch list.

Really liked the first part. Watching the second tonight