Television Tab

Tools    

Must've missed that HK.

JayDee are you still watching Wayward Pines? Just watched ep 3, wasn't expecting that!

Loving 1864 (sorry MM!) . Last episodes next Saturday. Really like the bookending of the past with the present day.

I watched the first episode today. It's OK so far. I'll see how it goes.

Finished The Jinx (which was good but the last two episodes make it more than it'd otherwise be. I discovered I'd also watched a documentary about his missing wife) and Fortitude which was underwhelming and really lost it in the last episode, I thought. Did anyone else watch it?

BTW, if you missed The Detectives last week, go to iPlayer and watch it. Three brilliant episodes. I can't recommend it highly enough.

I watched the first episode today. It's OK so far. I'll see how it goes.

Finished The Jinx (which was good but the last two episodes make it more than it'd otherwise be. I discovered I'd also watched a documentary about his missing wife) and Fortitude which was underwhelming and really lost it in the last episode, I thought. Did anyone else watch it?

BTW, if you missed The Detectives last week, go to iPlayer and watch it. Three brilliant episodes. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Not watched The Jinx, and never did catch up on Fortitude. Lost the momentum for it now. The Detectives was really good. You mean the ones following that mate of Saville? Those are the ones I watched. Funny I'd never given any thought to how interviews are constructed and this was an excellent view of that.

Yes it was really good. As well as being revealing about how interviews are built up, and how information is revealed in stages, it brings home how draining that kind of work must be. It's all too easy for us to be reading about bent police in the papers, but forget about the thousands of dedicated staff who deal with such awful crimes. Very good programme.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
JayDee are you still watching Wayward Pines? Just watched ep 3, wasn't expecting that!
What bit exactly? It's tough to see anything coming! Anyway yes I'm still watching and really enjoying it. It may be hokum and as I said before a mish mash of elements from elsewhere (Twin Peaks, Truman Show, The Prisoner, Wicker Man etc) but I'm having great fun with it so far. I think it's doing a really nice job at being very atmospheric

I also watched the first episode of Car Share. Didn't blow me away or anything but I liked it. It had a few laughs in it and was just a nice 28 or so minutes. Certainly enough to make me stick around for episode 2.

Oh and another show I really need to try and watch properly sometime is The Goldbergs. I don't think I've seen an episode from start to finish yet but I keep stumbling across bits of it here and there and what I've seen looks very funny and I'm loving all the 80s touches I've seen so far

What bit exactly? It's tough to see anything coming! Anyway yes I'm still watching and really enjoying it. It may be hokum and as I said before a mish mash of elements from elsewhere (Twin Peaks, Truman Show, The Prisoner, Wicker Man etc) but I'm having great fun with it so far. I think it's doing a really nice job at being very atmospheric
WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
the bit where the sheriff gets killed. I thought he was going to be part of the series and the roaring at the end while something drags his body away! what the hell!

Agree about the mashup, a little Lost in there too!

WARNING: "spoilers" spoilers below
the bit where the sheriff gets killed. I thought he was going to be part of the series and the roaring at the end while something drags his body away! what the hell!

WARNING: "Wayward Pines" spoilers below
Oh god of course. I was trying to think about what happened at the end and was drawing a complete blank. How could I forget that?

It did look like the sheriff was going to be a major part but as this is only a 10 episode event I guess people can be killed off at any point, as with Juliette Lewis in episode 2. I thought that was a very cool, unnerving scene by the way, with all the phones ringing and the lights coming on, then the mob assembling. Although we've already discovered that the sheriff and the nurse (man she's creepy!) are not those really in power so I assume we'll meet them at some point to fill the void left by the sheriff.

I'm certainly intrigued by the animal/creature/alien (who knows?!!!) although I'm a little worried as well. The more out there the show becomes the harder I think it makes it for any explanation to actually feel satisfactory.

WARNING: "Wayward Pines" spoilers below
Yeah any weirdness is always going to invoke Lost, especially now that they've introduced some sort of creature. And there's probably a dozen more shows/films you can throw in the mix as well - Under the Dome for example. I also wonder if we'll maybe end up in Oldboy territory where it turns out this is a place intended as a punishment for certain individuals at the behest of others.

Yes JayDee I was going to say about that
WARNING: spoilers below
Juliette Lewis execution scene. Up till then I was thinking it was ok and I might carry on watching but when that happened it got a whole lot darker. Melissa Leo is great but def channelling Nurse Rached!

The Legacy - episodes 3 and 4 of series 1. Adore this series!
I'd forgotten about this, I'm sure HK told me about it but luckily series one is bring repeated on Sky Arts from Sunday so I can record 1 and 2.

That new 2 parter on BBC2, Stonemouth, starting Thurs looks decent

I saw that you'd posted in here, Christine, and thought it'd be about 1864. I've only seen the first two episodes so I was only looking at the start of your post, just in case of spoilers.

Yes, I'm sure I'd have told you about The Legacy as I really liked it. True Detective is starting later this month I think, too.

I've just watched the last two eps of 1864 HK and am in pieces. I know MM wasn't happy with the historical detail, but as a series about war in general and the madness and needless loss of life it's a fine story. As the great granddaughter of a man who lost his life along with his brother within two months of each other In WW1, and I'm a mother of two sons, I really felt for the mother of the two boys the series was about.
I'm interested now, if MM reads this post, or any other Danish posters, on how the Danes see Ditlev Monrad. I can read about him on Wikipedia but it's not the same as hearing about he is seen by the populace.

Yes JayDee I was going to say about that
Juliette Lewis execution scene. Up till then I was thinking it was ok and I might carry on watching but when that happened it got a whole lot darker. Melissa Leo is great but def channelling Nurse Rached!
Just to check do you mean your interest in the show spiked with that moment, or that you then lost interest?

Oh and I watched episode 2 of Car Share. Funny stuff. The dogging stuff was great.

Just to check do you mean your interest in the show spiked with that moment, or that you then lost interest?

Oh and I watched episode 2 of Car Share. Funny stuff. The dogging stuff was great.
I meant it drew me in more! Did you watch the latest one?

I think Car Share got even better with each episode. Maybe it's cos you get to know the characters so well even though it's only a half hour.