The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

→ in
Tools    

Here's my review of The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian. I've got more thoughts, which I'll try to find time to expand on later. Suffice to say, I was pretty conflicted about this one. I genuinely love some of the changes made, and dislike several others. Most, however, I like as a moviegoer, but not as a distraction from what should have been a slower, more thoughtful film.

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Second films in any series have a number of built-in advantages. The most noteworthy is that we already know their characters, and can rush headlong into the developments of the story. It is not a guarantee of quality, but it can free a film of constraint. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian makes the most of this fact at times, but meanders at points and has the same tonal problems as its predecessor.

As you likely know, Prince Caspian is a follow-up to 2005's The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and the second film in The Chronicles of Narnia, based on a series of books by famed British author C.S. Lewis. That film, though true to the source material and well-polished, spasmed between candy like set pieces and weightless battles. Prince Caspian has a good deal more gravity, thanks in large part to the author's brilliant decision to leap forward in time: the children find themselves drawn back into the world of Narnia a year after the events of the first tale, only to find that 1,300 years have passed there.

Prince Caspian strays much further from its source than Wardrobe did; sometimes for good, and sometimes for ill. Entire sequences are added, others are significantly expanded, and a couple of relationships are fundamentally changed. Some of this is necessary, of course. There is a degree to which almost all adaptations must break off from their roots and establish their own identities, but that identity must stay consistent with the themes and tone of the source. There are times where Prince Caspian veers wildly off the tracks laid for it, but it always seems to do so for the sake of a remarkable spectacle.

Credit must be given for the mere attempt at continuity, as each departure from the book is done in such a way so that it interrupts the existing story, but does not fundamentally alter it. The additions are largely self-contained and episodic, so as not to overtly disturb the original story. This is far more considerate than many adaptations care to be, but Narnia devotees will still be taken out of the experience by the dramatic differences.

Some of the changes work, and even improve, certain aspects of the book. The children are, at times, more reflective and philosophical about their relationships and experiences. They behave in reasonable ways and have all the mental conflicts you'd expect out of children who've already lived for a lifetime.

These changes work largely thanks to the actors involved, all of whom feel at home. Though tentative at times in the first installment, all four children easily inhabit their characters this time around. William Mosely (as Peter) has the most to do of the four, as he continually butts heads with Ben Barnes (the titular Prince Caspian). Barnes is a Telmarine; a race of invaders who have all but eradicated native Narnians in the 1,300 years which have passed. He is heir to the throne, a fact which makes him a target of Miraz, who has Kingly aspirations himself and whose wife has recently provided him with an heir. Caspian's status as King-in-waiting creates a good deal of conflict with the formerly High King Peter, and their clashes represent exactly the type of shift in emphasis that all such adaptations should aspire to.

Barnes more than holds his own and brings a deadly seriousness to the proceedings that was largely missing from Wardrobe. Of course, the fact that this is far, far more violent than the last one probably has something to do with that. Many have said it's the most violent PG film ever made, and if one excludes those before the advent of the PG-13 rating, they'd be right. Though the violence is almost entirely bloodless, a good many characters meet their death.

The effects work is generally strong. This time around, the animals look more like, well, actual animals, and everything just feels a bit more real. One notable exception is Reepicheep, the surprisingly deadly, sword-wielding mouse voiced by Eddie Izzard. His design is adequate (and Izzard shows remarkable restraint in not turning him into a gag), but he never quite lives in the world we see.

A brilliant character in the original stories, Reepicheep was co-opted by the Shrek series' Puss in Boots, who was later chronologically, but first cinematically. The resulting character has to go out of his way to avoid obvious similarities, and is somewhat robbed of his bravado. Otherwise, one suspects this character would have stolen the film.

In the end, Reepicheep ends up being a microcosm of the series so far: brilliant books and incredible technical execution, belied by the fact that other films simply beat them to the punch. One can hardly blame Lewis for the fact that Dreamworks created a domesticated contradiction like Puss in Boots before his films saw the silver screen, nor for the fact that his living trees will still bring Ents to mind for some.

Still, Prince Caspian has the good sense to compartmentalize its departures, and it brings some new, interesting angles to what is one of the less thrilling books in the series. 2010 promises the release of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, often thought of by fans as the series' best book, and probably the most cinematic, as well. Better still, it lacks the sort of conflict which new director Michael Apted may be tempted to turn into another epic Lord of the Rings lite battle.

One does hope that they bring the same sense of boldness and emotion to the next adaptation as they did to this one. But as a lifelong admirer of the books, here's hoping that they bring the highlighter, and leave the scissors behind.

A system of cells interlinked
Excellent review, and, the mark is a bit higher than I thought you were going to give it, considering the lukewarm press it has gotten so far.

Funnily enough, the mark is a bit higher than I thought I was going to give it, too, but the more I thought about it the more I realized that a) I was very entertained throughout, and b) the deviations from the story were interesting and thoughtful, even when I didn't particularly care for them. Throw in the fact that I probably enjoyed it less than most simply because I adore the books, and I felt compelled to give it a half-popcorn more than I wanted to, in an attempt to offset my subjectivity a little.

Convoluted, maybe, but that's what I went with. It could be a
just as easily, though. I'd still recommend it, though I'd completely understand if a fan of the books disliked it.

A system of cells interlinked
I just couldn't get into the first one. From the first scene through the wardrobe on, I thought the effects were just bad enough to keep pulling me out of the story. Not really the creatures as much as the set design and lighting. I guess I got spoiled by LotR, and felt that series created a believable and immersive...

Ok I just spent 5 minutes battling with the word immersive. I know it's a word, the dictionary here says so, but MoFo is telling me it is not correct.

Anyway. I didn't fall into the landscape in Narnia, and felt as if the set design was exactly that, designed sets. Aside from that, I thought it was pretty decent...Shall I give this one a go?

I think, based on the issues you had with the first, you're actually quite likely to like this one. It's darker, grittier, and doesn't have the everpresent sheen of the first.

Your complaints with the first pretty much mirror my own. But even though I didn't like how shiny everything was (for lack of a better description), I actually think the thought behind that look and feel makes a good deal of sense. Adamson (the director) said that he wanted it to feel overtly real and "new," because the fact is that Narnia is a relatively new world. It needs to contrast with the Narnia in Prince Caspian, which Adamson said feels more "lived in."

This explanation makes so much sense that it actually had me questioning my impression of the first film. I still don't like the way it came out, but I can at least see why it was made the way it was.

Anyway, I totally dig on everything you're saying about it, and really think you'd like Prince Caspian a lot more.

I liked the first one but often felt like I was watching a kid's movie. I remember thinking everytime I watched the first one that "I wish it were darker and not so jolly and childish."

Perhaps #2 will be a little darker.

In any case, sweet review though I never read the original story so I will not notice the differences.

Looking forward to seeing this!

By the way is it just me or is this summer one of the best for movies? (Narnia 2, batman 2, indiana jones 4, incredible hulk, M. Night's The Happening)

Not just you. In front of Iron Man, there were trailers for Indy 4, The Dark Night, The Incredible Hulk, The Happening, and I believe Prince Caspian, as well. My brother, for one, said that he couldn't remember any summer being packed with so many promising films.

This wasn't even including WALL*E or Hancock.

I think it's fair to say that I haven't been this excited about a summer movie season since the LOTR films were still coming out.

Hi i am new too the site i wanted too ask if a can say my opinion about this movie

Reply if posible.

Ok for those ho are fans of this movie don't be upset on my.

But i think a the ending when the bad guys got clubbed up, it was a bit unfair for the Narnians .

Great review. I feel the same way as you about this movie. Pretty entertaining, but definitely no 'wow' factor. My favorite scene from the movie was probably Lucy and her 'little' dagger part on the bridge, now that **** was hilarious. The 'You might want to call me again' line was so cheezy and retarded to me. All in all though, pretty entertaining film for sure, probably worth a matinee price to go see it, but definitely not worth much more.

I am not a great fan of these type of movies normally but I found this movie ok albeit a little childish at times. Definitely better than the first though there are some things they should have kept from the first movie.

Perhaps I liked the first one but often felt like I was watching a kid's movie.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Perhaps I liked the first one but often felt like I was watching a kid's movie.
maybe because it is a kids movie

i thought this was a great movie!!!! It was exciting and funny... The story was interesting.. It was good for all ages...

Does anyone have any idea why they're filming these Narnia movies out of sequence like this? I mean, there were originally 7 books... and they've filmed no.2 then no.4. Are they intending to make others? What will happen to books 1 and 3?

Does anyone have any idea why they're filming these Narnia movies out of sequence like this? I mean, there were originally 7 books... and they've filmed no.2 then no.4. Are they intending to make others? What will happen to books 1 and 3?
That's a good point. You would think they're trying some George Lucas stuff, but this way doesn't make much sense.

As far as a review goes, I have to say I hated the movie. I loved the first one too. This one just flowed very weirdly. I think they did a horrible job of integrating Caspian into things. Everything just happened too easily. I'm not gonna ruin things for those who haven't seen it, but I felt they could've done a much better job.

Welcome to the human race...
For someone who never read the books or even saw the first movie, I actually enjoyed Prince Caspian. I'd probably give it