Vote on the next countdown (Oct. 2023)

Tools    

What should our next countdown be (Oct 23)?
30.36%
17 votes
Films not on previous lists
23.21%
13 votes
Underseen films
30.36%
17 votes
Musicals
46.43%
26 votes
Noir
28.57%
16 votes
Some decade refresh
10.71%
6 votes
Other (specify below)
56 votes. You may not vote on this poll

@Yoda I just had an idea. I don't really want to have to hand calculate the ballots the old fashion way...I like your new software much better! So a solution would be to run two countdowns of Top 50 each back to back. That way there's two countdowns and so two ballots (one ballot for each countdown). Seeing how the two countdowns would be only Top 50 the total time of presentation would be the same as a Top 100...and their 'watch periods' can run at the same time too so that this idea doesn't take one more day longer than any other countdown. Would that work?
There's a lot of nuance to the answer, mind if we take this to PMs and hash things out before we announce anything either way?

I thought I saw those listed on the Wikipedia page, it's has a decade by decade breakdown. I dunno.
Do you have a link?

@Citizen Rules - Why not just make it a Crime Thriller countdown, that's what noir and neo noir is pretty much about right? I think it would make it simpler other than just have 2 lists.

I would like to see a Crime Thriller countdown btw and you would make a good host for it.
Thanks for saying I'd be a good host, but I wasn't interested in doing Crime Thrillers as that becomes to broad of a category.

Do you have a link?

Thanks for saying I'd be a good host, but I wasn't interested in doing Crime Thrillers as that becomes to broad of a category.
It's all good, but I were to do one, I'd make sure it stays on the crime/ thriller path instead of just having some movie on their because it's just crime. Imagine someone saying Godfather is a Crime/Thriller and it's acceptable to the list, yikes lol.

I guess there's another thing you gotta think about with this list is how many people are willing to participate in this, to get more people involved you probably would have to lift the restrictions, which of course we would all know what #1 is going to be now O_o if we just allow crime movies without having thriller in it.

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

It's all good, but I were to do one, I'd make sure it stays on the crime/ thriller path instead of just having some movie on their because it's just crime. Imagine someone saying Godfather is a Crime/Thriller and it's acceptable to the list, yikes lol.

I guess there's another thing you gotta think about with this list is how many people are willing to participate in this, to get more people involved you probably would have to lift the restrictions, which of course we would all know what #1 is going to be now O_o if we just allow crime movies without having thriller in it.
Just for fun, how would you determine if a film was a crime thriller or just a crime drama or crime action?

Just for fun, how would you determine if a film was a crime thriller or just a crime drama or crime action?
I would just look it up on a movie site, IMDB and Letterboxd. If it's a movie that I'm not really sure of and need more options to look, I would look at other places like TMDB or even googling the movie to get the final verdict on what's crime/thriller and what's not. Alot of work yes but it's something other than just relying on IMDB and their tags.

The same applies with Crime drama or Crime action.

I would just look it up on a movie site, IMDB and Letterboxd. If it's a movie that I'm not really sure and need more options to look, I would look at other places like TMBD or even googling the movie to get the final verdict on what's crime/thriller and what's not. Alot of work yes but it's something other than just relying on IMDB and their tags.

The same applies with Crime drama or Crime action.
Yeah that would probably work.

The Noir purist in me is fidgeting

To be honest, I think that there's a bit of overcomplicating things. First, I think that cramming all crime thrillers dilutes the essence of what a Noir countdown would/could/should be. After all, not all crime thrillers are noirs. That said, since "Noir" is the option that won (not "Crime/Thrillers") I think that the two best solutions are:

1. To go full with the classic noir definition, which covers only films released from 1940 to 1959, as far as they're labeled as "noir" on this or that site. An option that establishes clear, tangible boundaries, but that I know would be limiting for many voters.
  2. To open it up for noirs and neo-noirs all in the same ballot, as far as they're labeled as "noir" or "neo-noir" on this or that site. No need to make two ballots. Just let them all duke it out. This option would be less limiting and, as Citizen pointed out, includes a lot of popular films that some people don't even realize are noir or noir-adjacent.

Those are my .02 cents.

To be honest, I think that there's a bit of overcomplicating things. First, I think that cramming all crime thrillers dilutes the essence of what a Noir countdown would/could/should be. After all, not all crime thrillers are noirs. That said, since "Noir" is the option that won (not "Crime/Thrillers") I think that the two best solutions are:

1. To go full with the classic noir definition, which covers only films released from 1940 to 1959, as far as they're labeled as "noir" on this or that site. An option that establishes clear, tangible boundaries, but that I know would be limiting for many voters.
  2. To open it up for noirs and neo-noirs all in the same ballot, as far as they're labeled as "noir" or "neo-noir" on this or that site. No need to make two ballots. Just let them all duke it out. This option would be less limiting and, as Citizen pointed out, includes a lot of popular films that some people don't even realize are noir or noir-adjacent.
Those are my .02 cents.
I'm glad you corrected that type I was thinking what??? Myself I'd go for your #1 and do just classic noirs from 1940-1959...but I wonder how many people would submit a ballot? And how many people would gripe?

For what it's worth, a quick Google search brought me these two lists of "quintessential" and "best" noir films that manage to have a decent mix of classic noirs, neo-noirs, and some adjacent ones.

Movie Web -- Film Noir: The Quintessential Movies to Get into the Genre

Paste -- The 100 Best Film Noirs of All Time

Regardless of my personal thoughts on some of the inclusions, there is evident consensus in the top spots.

I would expect similar results here if we open it up to noirs/neo-noirs, as far as they are labeled as such in some sites like we did for the "War" countdown. Sure, some "questionable" choices (for some!) got in, but I think we reached a solid consensus and good conversations were had about those "questionable" entries.

Do you have a link?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_neo-noir_films

Thanks for posting those list. I'm surprised that the #1 film noirs on those list aren't what I quite expected them to be. Still I love both of those films, especially the one with Dan the man Duryea.

Ah thanks. That's what I thought you seen. I seen those too when I was doing research. The funny thing is if you click on any of the movie links you'll see some of them aren't actually described as neo-noir. A good example is I, Robot (2004) it's listed in that link but it's Wiki page does not tag it as a neo noir. And it's not neo noir.

Ah thanks. That's what I thought you seen. I seen those too when I was doing research. The funny thing is if you click on any of the movie links you'll see some of them aren't actually described as neo-noir. A good example is I, Robot (2004) it's listed in that link but it's Wiki page does not tag it as a neo noir. And it's not neo noir.
Darn.

How would Tech Noir fit into this count down?
Dark City and BladeRunner for example.
As far as I'm concerned, they're both "neo-noir". The fact that they're set in the future is just another layer to the noir-ish elements.

The trick is not minding
As far as I'm concerned, they're both "neo-noir". The fact that they're set in the future is just another layer to the noir-ish elements.
That’s what I figured and works for me. Thanks.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

Those are my .02 cents.
I'm with Thief and maybe even a quick vote on this to get consensus would help