Critique Our Top 10

Tools    

I just recently updated my Top 10 severely, I would like to see what you guys think of it
Nope1172's Top Ten

Fight Club
As I've said, seen the same twist done better.
Reservoir Dogs
Usually don't like Tarantino stuff.
Pulp Fiction
Usually don't like Tarantino stuff.
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Can be incredibly funny.
Citizen Kane
Haven't seen it.
Fargo
I've never met anyone from Minnesota who talks like that except when they're explicitly imitating the movie.
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb
Can be kinda funny.
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior
Proto-Fury Road.
Whiplash
The only other movie I haven't seen. This one I don't know anything about.
Shaun of the Dead
Can be... not funny. Never laughed, chuckled, or grinned. It's movies like this that make me avoid Simon Pegg stuff.

What? You get that Fist Of Legend torrent going right this instant!
Given your other picks and that it's Jet Li, I will be mildly surprised if it's as bad as House of Flying Daggers.

I'm afraid it's also in line behind Police Story 4, Legend of the Drunken Master, and Wing Chun.

O'Toole played Henry II, Hopkins was Richard The Lionheart, and Hepburn was Queen Eleanor, who was imprisoned for starting an uprising against the King, her husband O'Toole. Dalton was the King of France.
More interested.

Given your other picks and that it's Jet Li, I will be mildly surprised if it's as bad as House of Flying Daggers.

I'm afraid it's also in line behind Police Story 4, Legend of the Drunken Master, and Wing Chun.
I want to physically grab you and make you watch this lol! Drunken Master didnt have better martial arts than FOL imo.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Because Kevin Smith has a direct line to my funny bone and he is my second favorite director of all time.
Even so, what about the first Clerks, I thought that movie was down right hilarious.

You know, I SWEAR I've seen this, and I've recently heard it talked up as awesome, but... I'll be damned if I can remember anything special about it.

One of extremely extremely few horror movies I really like.
You might be thinking about "An American Werewolf in Paris" which came out in the 90s I think and wasn't very good. London was amazing, and the transformation scene is unforgettable... which makes me think that you were watching Paris if you can't remember anything about it.

Always awesome seeing people talk positively about Silent Hill! I love that movie, and really feel that it doesn't deserve the negativity it got and still gets, but I guess I'm bias since I was a huge fan of the games beforehand. They nailed the atmosphere and monster designs though, and Akira Yamaoka's music is flat-out amazing!

The 2012 sequel did suck though... after I saw it in theaters I was kinda in denial and said it wasn't "that bad" but when I saw it again I just couldn't deny it anymore.

Originally Posted by TONGO
I want to physically grab you and make you watch this lol! Drunken Master didnt have better martial arts than FOL imo.
I'll watch it, gimme a bit.

Originally Posted by False Writer
You might be thinking about "An American Werewolf in Paris" which came out in the 90s I think and wasn't very good. London was amazing, and the transformation scene is unforgettable... which makes me think that you were watching Paris if you can't remember anything about it.
Mmmaybe... I remember a typewriter factory or something like that.

Originally Posted by False Writer
Always awesome seeing people talk positively about Silent Hill! I love that movie, and really feel that it doesn't deserve the negativity it got and still gets, but I guess I'm bias since I was a huge fan of the games beforehand. They nailed the atmosphere and monster designs though, and Akira Yamaoka's music is flat-out amazing!
I'm in the far unpopular minority here where, just like FF7, I personally hated the game. I REALLY liked the atmosphere, themes, and music, but the actual mechanics offended my gaming sensabilities. I stood there for 20 minutes in furious indignation when it wouldn't let me pick up the gun in the shopping cart.

Also it creeped the **** out of me which is not a sensation I enjoy, or understand why others enjoy.

There are pretty big things I don't like in the movie, but I would still place it well above 90% of other horror movies.

I am the Watcher in the Night
There Will Be Blood is one of my favs!! So I give you 2 thumbs up for that. I have only seen a couple others and I don't rate Cuckoo particularly high. I do like it though.

"I need your clothes, your boots and your motorcycle"

HM! This would seem an odd stretch with someone of your viewing habits to watch a film from the 1960s with Peter O'Toole, Katherine Hepburn, Timothy Dalton, and Anthony Hopkins (his first part), but if you ever liked a drama on just acting and dialogue alone, THIS IS A MUST SEE. Skip the Patrick Stewart/Glenn Close version, it cannot compare.
I agree that it's not as good, but it's still a good version, IMO.

I know JAWS is a Meh now, but back in the 1970s it scared everyone so bad they were afraid to get in the water. Im serious, nationwide viewers were literally saying they would never get in the water again.
Jaws is not meh. Jaws is ****ing fantastic.

Not seen any of the first three, but I'd like to see tWoWS and have a copy which is yet unwatched. I really like Batman Returns. Other than the proper 60's version, that's the best Batman film. I've seen about an hour of Iron Man but didn't finish it. I didn't hate it, it just doesn't interest me. So long as that's the original NOES then it's a fantastic choice and one I have on my own 100. I've not seen the remake. I really like Boogie Nights. I thought 300 was rubbish and I really didn't like anything about it. Both Donnie Brasco and Scarface are on my 100 and I think both are great, though the performances of Pacino are at opposite ends of my liking for him.

Welcome to the human race...
Honeykid - quite the mix here, obviously. Three films here are five-star classics in my book. The Straight Story and Enter the Dragon are solid films as well. Gone with the Wind, Man Bites Dog, and Death Race 2000 are flawed but generally appreciable works. Interview with the Vampire is kind of a dud. Charlie's Angels is definitely a dud.

Jaws is not meh. Jaws is ****ing fantastic.
Shark still looks fake.

Seriously though, why is it, among all possible Spielberg productions, a movie about a series of shark attacks that gets you most?

That seems so plain.

Please hold your applause till after the me.
Shark still looks fake.

Seriously though, why is it, among all possible Spielberg productions, a movie about a series of shark attacks that gets you most?

That seems so plain.
Well, there is the fact as to how ground breaking it was back in the day, not just special effects wise, but just in films in general. It was the first summer blockbuster, we owe Jaws for creating the summer movies season. A lot of great movies have come from that and we have Jaws to thank for that.

Master's "Sin City" used to be one of my favorites in it's day, but I'm not sure what I would think about it on rewatch. I wouldn't mind to rewatch "Funny Games" either.

CR's top 10 is unknown to me.

Gatsby's top 10 isn't familiar to me and neither am I interesed watching most of it.

NextScorsese's top 10 is filled with major classics. The only two I'm not sure about are "The Godfather" & "No Country for Old Men".

Shark still looks fake.

That seems so plain.
Well, there is the fact as to how ground breaking it was back in the day, not just special effects wise, but just in films in general. It was the first summer blockbuster, we owe Jaws for creating the summer movies season. A lot of great movies have come from that and we have Jaws to thank for that.
Not a single thing you listed in any way affects my enjoyment of a movie.

Master of My Domain
My favorite part of Jaws is the perfect pacing. There isn't a single moment that is dull or feels stretched out. And the cinematography, and the editing, and... yeah another fanboy here. But seriously, you should give it another try Omni. Don't let the "fake" shark blind you.

My favorite part of Jaws is the perfect pacing. There isn't a single moment that is dull or feels stretched out. And the cinematography, and the editing, and... yeah another fanboy here. But seriously, you should give it another try Omni. Don't let the "fake" shark blind you.
Not that I won't, but appropriate pacing and editing are necessities to me. Saying they're your favorite parts, to me, is sort of like saying my favorite part of a car is how it can park and reverse. If it doesn't get that right, there are going to be big problems.

Mmmaybe... I remember a typewriter factory or something like that.
...Yeah, definitely Paris.

Do give London a watch when you get the chance!

Shark still looks fake.

That seems so plain.
Why is plain bad? Or, if not bad, exactly, why can't it create excitement? I remember you saying you hadn't seen The Straight Story. Give that a watch and see what plain can do.

Anyway, the pull isn't the shark. The fact that they couldn't get the shark to work most of the time is one of Hollywood luckiest occurrences. In fact, some of the reasons this film works so well are to do with the troubles that came from making the film.

For me, everything about Jaws works. The feel, the atmosphere, especially at the hour mark once they set out to sea (I quite like films with lots of sea/oceanscapes. I find it quite comforting), and, unusually for me, the soundtrack really works for me to the point where it enhances my enjoyment. It has classic scenes I'm waiting for long before they occur and three leads who own the screen. It never feels or looks like acting, to me. It's not Roy Scheider, Robert Shaw and Richard Dreyfuss. It's Brody, Quint and Hooper. There's not a bad scene in the entire film

It's a drama, it's a creature feature, it's a thriller, it's a slasher. It's a childhood favourite, it's the 70's, it's comfort, it's a great ride and much more. I finally got to see it on the big screen last year and, while it wasn't the greatest experience of my cinematic life, it wasn't because of the film which was, of course, brilliant and I loved seeing it on a big screen with a cinema sound system giving it it's all.

Lastly, while it's not a reason to like the film, it has the greatest leitmotif of all time. It cuts right through, despite being so blunt and obvious. Hell, it's so good it's creates more dread than the creature it represents. Though I admit that's not as big a boast as it could sound.