Best Actor Oscar 2014

Tools    

Which performance will be named Best Actor?
8.33%
3 votes
CHRISTIAN BALE, American Hustle
11.11%
4 votes
BRUCE DERN, Nebraska
27.78%
10 votes
LEONARDO DiCAPRIO, The Wolf of Wall Street
13.89%
5 votes
CHIWETEL EJOFOR, 12 Years A Slave
38.89%
14 votes
MATTHEW McCONAUGHEY, Dallas Buyers Club
36 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The nominees are...

Christian Bale, American Hustle

Bruce Dern, Nebraska

Leonardo DiCaprio, The Wolf of Wall Street

Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years A Slave

Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bale Hustle.jpg
Views:	1994
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	12527   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dern Nebraska.jpg
Views:	1913
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	12528   Click image for larger version

Name:	DiCaprio Wolf.jpg
Views:	2484
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	12529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ejiofor 12 Years.jpg
Views:	1946
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	12530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Matthew Dallas Buy.jpg
Views:	1938
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	12531  

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Quite surprised that LDC actually managed to get a nomination, especially over Hanks, in whilst my heart wants him to win I think it will probably go to Ejiofor. Really, really strong category this year, I love Christian Bale and Matthew McConaughey but I am yet to see their performances, Nebraska looks like the type of movie that I'd love too.

Must be doin sumthin right
The fact that DiCaprio was able to produce this bizarrely all-time great physically comedic performance blows my mind considering how I used to feel about him as an actor. Hope he wins but I think it's gonna be Dern. I think old voters and young voters will both feel cool voting for "Bruce Dern for Best Actor"

Still need to see Nebraska but the others are all great apart from McConaughey, who is good but overrated, honestly. The remaining three are wildly different performances. Ejiofor and DiCaprio are the stand-outs for me, it could go to either one and I'd be happy - though we should probably hope for the former since the internet will almost certainly explode if DiCaprio takes it.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Hanks deserved a nomination here. He was greater than Bale, IMO. Truly a shame that a great Hanks year has gone unnoticed by the academy.

Hanks deserved a nomination here. He was greater than Bale, IMO. Truly a shame that a great Hanks year has gone unnoticed by the academy.
He's not the only unnominated actor who's better than Bale, though I can't really speak for the Hanks performances in question since I've seen neither Captain Phillips nor Saving Mr. Banks.

I hope McConaughey takes it. DiCaprio would be my second choice.

McConaughey, no contest. For me, one of the very few to come close to Daniel Day-Lewis' performance in TWBB in recent years, in terms of performance and commitment to the role.

Ejiofor would be my second choice. Bale probably shouldn't have been nominated.

He's not the only unnominated actor who's better than Bale.
I love your dedication to Phoenix!

It's a very strong year for male leading performances, but I'm going to vote with my heart here and go for DiCaprio. He IS the wolf!

I love your dedication to Phoenix!
It's more than just my love of Joaquin Phoenix that makes me say that, though. I really dislike Christian Bale. I find him terribly wooden and have disliked most of the films I've seen him in. The few Bale films I've really liked (3:10 to Yuma, The Dark Knight) I enjoyed in spite of his performances, not because of them. American Hustle was a good movie, but his performance was nothing special, IMO.

It's more than just my love of Joaquin Phoenix that makes me say that, though. I really dislike Christian Bale. I find him terribly wooden and have disliked most of the films I've seen him in. The few Bale films I've really liked (3:10 to Yuma, The Dark Knight) I enjoyed in spite of his performances, not because of them. American Hustle was a good movie, but his performance was nothing special, IMO.
He still had a good performance, but there were better ones. Bales best role has still been The Prestige. And of course he makes a great Batman.

Don't get why people hate Bale, my mum hates him as well for some reason, just thinks he's a bad actor. Probably gives the best performance out of the main four in American Hustle for me. Can't think of anything I dislike him in really, great dedication to his roles.

And of course he makes a great Batman.
Forgot about The Prestige, it's been a long time since I watched it but I vaguely recall liking Jackman's performance more, though I don't care for him either. I can't stand Bale as Batman and were it not for Heath Ledger and Michael Caine, I don't think I would've liked The Dark Knight. Batman Begins was decent but underwhelming and I did not like The Dark Knight Rises at all.

Probably gives the best performance out of the main four in American Hustle for me.
I prefer Lawrence.

Forgot about The Prestige, it's been a long time since I watched it but I vaguely recall liking Jackman's performance more, though I don't care for him either. I can't stand Bale as Batman and were it not for Heath Ledger and Michael Caine, I don't think I would've liked The Dark Knight. Batman Begins was decent but underwhelming and I did not like The Dark Knight Rises at all.

I prefer Lawrence.
Jackmans was even better, but that movie is great!

I dunno, between Dallas Buyers Club and True Detective (where he kills it), this might just be the Year of McConaughey.
He killed it in Mud as well.

Christian Bale, American Hustle
I've never seen Christian Bale look sexier....

I will have to see this movie for him.

Apparently Miss Vicky has a thing for feminized, emasculated men who dress like old ladies.