Ok so this is my first review on this site . . . ever.

I know 'The Mummy' isn't seen as one of the best films around and it certainly wasn't going to many awards with its predictable storyline and unoriginal conventions, but it's simply a fun movie, in my opinion.

Basically, the film is set in Egypt in the 1920s where we met an ex-soldier named Rick O'Connell (played by Brendan Fraser) who is enlisted by Evelyn Carnahan (Rachel Weisz) and her brother Jonathan (John Hannah) to lead them to the ancient city of Hamunaptra which is said to hold mountains of treasure and artifacts. However, their interest in the ancient city, and the meddling of others, leads to an awakening of a cursed guardian.

This film uses a tried and true adventure movie formula: Kill the bad guy, rescue the damsel in distress, and save the world. But it knows this and goes along with it, adding its own bits of charm and wit. It doesn't try to outdo itself by sticking to live action and keeping the special effects to a minimum, thus creating an almost fresh and vibrant environment for the film's narrative to unfold. The film also dabbles with a bit of horror elements which adds to the atmosphere and thrills along the way.

The casting is a clear strong point in this film. Brendan Fraser has been cast to perfection as the heroic, masculine but funny Rick O'Connell, who seems to handle whatever ancient Egypt can throw at him. This film really seemed to solidify Fraser's reputation as a Hollywood leading man and set up roles in films such as 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth' and 'Inkheart'. Rachel Weisz brings her own charm and enthusiasm to the character of Evelyn, who is a bit of a damsel in distress but grows in confidence as the film goes on. John Hannah, Arnold Vosloo and Oded Fehr round up the supporting roles adequately to complete an entertaining and dedicated cast.

Overall, this film is a solid action/adventure/horror flick which isn't too complex or confusing, which is definitely not a bad thing! To put it simply, the film is entertaining. There are very few moments where I was bored and there always seemed to be another action sequence around the corner to add another twist in this roller coaster rider of a film. If you are looking for a classic action movie without all the glitz and glamour of modern cgi "masterpieces", then this film is for you!

I hope you enjoyed my first review on this forum!
I'm hoping to write more reviews and create at least 25 posts so that I can start putting links to my youtube channel!