This is a followup to my first review on 'The Mummy' that I did yesterday (hopefully you enjoyed it).

This film, released in 2001, takes place in the 1930s, roughly 10 years after the first film. Like the first film, it follows the adventures of Rick O'Connell and his wife Evelyn, along with their son, Alex. Basically, following an expedition to an Ancient Egyptian site, Alex meddles with the Bracelet of Anubis which attaches itself to his wrist. He then has 7 days to get the bracelet to the Scorpion King's pyramid or it will kill him and release the Scorpion King's army to conquer the world. That's basically the plot right there, however there are a few more details that pop up throughout the film, including the reappearance of a familiar foe.

I'm just going to say this right off the bat: This film is definitely not as good as the first one. If you liked the first one, you'll probably enjoy this one, but will feel disappointed in the end. This film is really just your average action adventure flick, including a great quest and many bad guys trying to stop the heroes from accomplishing their mission. The creators of the Mummy franchise have tried to take things up a level with this film, however bigger does not necessarily mean better in terms of movie making. There is definitely an increase in the use of special effects which is a bad thing. Even though we must make allowances for cgi effects from 2001, the ones used in this film just look tacky and over the top. Much of the charm and wit from the first film has been lost due to this new dependence on visual effects. The Egyptian setting has also lost much of its novelty value as many of the sets look strikingly similar to the first film.

All bad things aside, the cast still remains a strong aspect of this franchise. Most of the original cast return for this second outing which is good because most of them have grown into their roles and understand their characters more. Brendan Fraser again portrays the heroic, brave character that is Rick with ease, while still managing to utter a few one liners along the way. Evelyn (portrayed by Rachel Weisz) has definitely changed in this film and now seems more confident and tough, able to hold her own against the bad guys throughout the film. John Hannah and Oded Fehr also play their supporting roles well.

Overall, I still liked this film but I felt it was missing the wonder and thrills of the first film. This was probably lost due to the production team focusing more on extravagant visuals rather than storytelling and plot. Anyway, I still would recommend this to anyone looking for a decent adventure film to watch for a couple of hours.