What makes you a film fanatic?

Tools    

For as long as i can remember i've always had an obsessions with films. I geuss it grew out of my interest in superheros which made me wanna see the movies about superheros then i just started watching more and more movies because i was lazy (and still am). Now i must watch a movie at least once a day because i enjoy them so much. They're my favourite format for story telling and provoke more emotion out of me than almost anything else.

The True Meaning Of Christmas
What makes me a film fanatic. That is a very good question. I grew up in NYC so I guess the theatre is is my genes, but what really brings me to want to view a movie over and over is to see what perspectives I can see each time I watch it. Sometimes I watch a movie for the first time and see a whole new perspective the second time I view the film. I have even watched a movie the first time and hated it and the second time I forced my self to view it progressively got better. That happened with me with 28 Days (Sandra Bullock & Viggo Mortensen). But most of all is to enjoy the creative nature that the directors, actors, stuntman/woman, voice over actors put into a film to make it the best that it can be.

To tune out of my reality into someone elses.

I am not a fanatic by any means. I am not a fanatic about anything. I like the films I watch, they make me think, feel, discover, realise, and experience things I may not in my own life.

You ready? You look ready.
Because I get goose bumps. And I always like getting goose bumps. Not to mention I love walking around the house and quoting a movie. It makes me get even more goose bumps.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

Randomly visiting for now
I'm a fanatic because I love the switch. The switch between what's important and what's not. Everything in my life is so important so if I can just tune out of that and forget my troubles for just a little while then a movie has done it's job.

Either through; compelling story, beautiful music, characters you care about or great direction; the movie will draw me right in and help me switch off and be still, quiet and passive. Then at least I can have a rest from my stresses, maybe I'm not a huge fanatic like others but those are my main reasons for watching.

When I'm doing nothing i feel lazy and think about stuff I should be doing but films can take those worries away....even for just a short time.

I dont know to be honest. I just really enjoy watching movies and escaping from the world at times. It's also a 90 percent chance that im gonna take in one new film at least once per week. Along with my over 500 dvds. Not much compared to some on this board but still a decent bit.

There's treachery afoot!!!
What makes me a fantatic for films?? I can't think of anything else that makes me feel happy, sad, calm, at ease, angry, scared, envious, or phylosophical than the right movie for the right time.

Well being growing up in Santa Barbara near the whole scene helps, but my mom has worked as a make-up artist most of her life so she also is involved with films and introduced them to me. I guess the biggest reason I am a film fanatic is I like to be entertained and movie are a good source for that.

Welcome to the human race...
The fact that there's not that much else I can lose myself in - I no longer have the time for games that I used to and I don't like that much music and I figure, why not movies?

The thing that really did it for me was the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. After that, I've turned watching movies into my favourite pastime.

Originally Posted by Iroquois
The thing that really did it for me was the book 1001 Movies You Must See Before You Die. After that, I've turned watching movies into my favourite pastime.
I got that book for my Birthday, i was doing a one day film day with David Straton and he signed it for me, i am such a tart.

Welcome to the human race...
Originally Posted by nebbit
I got that book for my Birthday, i was doing a one day film day with David Straton and he signed it for me, i am such a tart.
You player, you.

You're only as healthy as you feel
I think 'cause i can always know who iam when iam watching a movie
I mean when i see someone in the movie has a story of struggling in life
I know that iam in a blessing from god .

I hope that someone understands me !!

To tell you the truth I really don't know. I just really enjoy learning all aspects of the filmmaking process and seeing the outcome as a whole. Sometimes I will sit through a movie that is a total piece of s**t, but still get something out of it: for example the movie Wimbledon with Kirsten Dunst was pretty s**tty, but the shots for the tennis playing scenes were actually the same tennis stroke just shot by a different camara angle for different shots in the movie. So why I consider myself a film fanatic is the neverending cycle of learning that comes from sitting down and watching a film.

I may say that i'm fond of movies either cause i see them as a way of forgetting about the reality and entering a completely new and fascinating world for me or i am eager for more real life and that's why i may need to see smth realistic concerning some ambitions,wars and all that stuff.
Movies of course are just another way of relaxing and having a nice peaceful time either by yourself or just with your friends(in this case not peaceful but still enjoyable).
It is just an attraction to know everything that's going around in the cinematography and always looking forward to seeing something.Cinematography is another art, which is not quite appreciated by most of people, taking into consideration their attitude towards violence, blood blah blah blah and all that stuff.What impresses me is the image which MUST BE CREATED PERFECTLY AND CLOSE TO REALITY;actually that's the prupose of the movie, the main onw actually but now of course it is taken into consideration too the sound, the music which i must admit are also important in creating the whole atmosphere.
I think i just got carried away ...

A system of cells interlinked
David Lynch once said something along the line of:

There is a language of cinema, that can't really be explained in the language of words. It affects us, changes us, draws us in. It's not the story itself, or just the shots, or just the sound design and music. It is a combination of all these elements that when combined, create something more than just the sum of it's parts.

Not an exact quote, but that was the idea...

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Robert DeNiro
I think 'cause i can always know who iam when iam watching a movie
I mean when i see someone in the movie has a story of struggling in life
I know that iam in a blessing from god .

I hope that someone understands me !!
I get what you're saying.
Seeing others' struggles makes us feel less alone with our own. And being able to relate to the struggles of others makes us feel connected.

Sedai - I like that quote.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by Sedai
David Lynch once said something along the line of:

There is a language of cinema, that can't really be explained in the language of words. It affects us, changes us, draws us in. It's not the story itself, or just the shots, or just the sound design and music. It is a combination of all these elements that when combined, create something more than just the sum of it's parts.

Not an exact quote, but that was the idea...
That sounds like a profound quote, but it seems like all he's really saying is that cinema is awesome, but that you can't explain it; and that it's not about all the little things, but the final product.

...well, duh!

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by Sleezy
That sounds like a profound quote, but it seems like all he's really saying is that cinema is awesome, but that you can't explain it; and that it's not about all the little things, but the final product.

...well, duh!
I think he was also just trying to express how many times, that feeling we get from film, just can't be put into words.

You're only as healthy as you feel
[quote=SamsoniteDelilah]I get what you're saying.
Seeing others' struggles makes us feel less alone with our own. And being able to relate to the struggles of others makes us feel connected.

Thank you for understanding me

Merry christmas my man