50 Favorite Movies DDWH

→ in
Tools    

I just recently started watching movies when I wasn't big on them and I've come to really enjoy some. Part of it was reading others' lists and part of it is just my newfound love of movies but I've really wanted to do this lately. I'm still pretty young and haven't seen a huge amount but here's my 50 favorites starting with 50-41.

50. Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure

Probably not adored by many but childhood favorite of mine. The villains of Ozzy and Strut are some of the best in any movie, not sure what it is about them.

49. A Beautiful Mind

Was very impressed by Russell Crowe's performance. The story is so heartbreaking at parts, and the ending especially gets to me. It shows that we can overcome even the worst obstacles if we put our mind to it.

48. Saving Private Ryan

Standout performance by Tom Hanks and Matt Damon in my opinion. I'm not big on war stories but this movie is an exception. It's been awhile since I've seen it or otherwise it might rank higher.

47. Hoodwinked

Zany is definitely the word here. The plot and characters are so bizarre, funny, even really clever at times. I know it's animation alienates potential adult audiences but it's a movie that's much more than just for kids.

46. Wall Street

It's hard to beat a character like Gordon Gecko- sleazy, selfish, successful- the kind of guy you love to hate. When a young businessman played by Charlie Sheen goes under his wing, he gets everything he wanted- or does he?

45. Othello

I'm a big fan of movies done by Ken Branagh. He's the master of Shakespearean literature translated into film, and his performance alongside Laurence Fishburne as the cunning, devious villain is nothing short of impressive.

44. The Big Lebowski

I personally feel like this film is overrated, especially by my friends. That aside, you have to love the characters played by Bridges and Goodman. The Dude's outlook on life is admirable- ever the peaceful and understanding guy, contrasted with Walter's fiery anger easily set off.

43. Ice Age

Easily outclassing its three sequels, the original Ice Age is something special. The chemistry between Romano, Leary, and Leguizamo is palpable, and the now-exinct creatures act like a pseudo-dysfunctional family, constantly squabbling at the surface but deep down attached.

42. The Comebacks

Critically scathed, there's not much i can say except it's so funny. There are moments in this where I was in tears from the film's great sense of humor. It's thin on pllot but its the classic comedy movie involving sports too.

41. I, Robot

One in a long list of films I admire with the same actor at the helm, Will Smith plays the classic hero in a futuristic world threatened by artificial intelligence. His character oozes bravery and strength- it doesn't hurt that Smith is my favorite actor as well.

That's a nice first set

Saving private Ryan is other than Schindlers List, Spielbergs best movie IMO, and the opening scene is the greatest war scene of all time

Hoodwinked, I've seen a couple times, I don't recall anything fantastic, but I don't remember anything bad

The Big Lebowski is of course a cult classic, Coen Brothers made a hilarious film in that on

Ice Age was one of those animated movies I never got, I've only seen the first, and I really didn't get into it

IRobot is underrated by my mind, it's not anything special, but it's a good popcorn flick.

Interesting variety; my favorites out of those are The Big Lebowski and Wall Street. I didn't like A Beautiful Mind and Saving Private Ryan is ok, but overrated IMO. I Robot was cool and I didn't see the rest.

Thanks and I'd say those are all fair critiques of the films. They're definitely not perfect, which is why they're only 50-41 I do enjoy them all though. I'll probably do 10 a day so as not to stretch it out timewise too much and I consider the first 10 from yesterday so here's the next. Also, i appreciate anyone giving this list time, especially since i'm a movie noob [: And my bad on the Ice Age screw up. I'll have to change that.

40. Ted

It's so great to see Seth MacFarlene write something not about a suburban family with kids. I've never been a fan of Wahlberg's acting for the most part but here i enjoy his performance. I love how so many voices from Family Guy are incorporated too, including Warburton of Seinfeld fame who's a talented actor himself. Most of my friends only wanted to go to see Mila Kunis but to me that's not what movies are about at all.

39. Avatar

Definitely an overrated film, I would never strive to say this movie is the best all-time. It is great though, especially the use of tech to create the breathtaking nature of Pandora, the one tree especially. The genocidal themes present are heartfelt and touches you on an emotional level.

38. Clash of the Titans (2010)

Most seem to prefer the original but I was impressed by this version when I saw it in theaters. The action is powerful, Neeson as Zeus is spot on and I think we should always remember the original kings of story-telling, the Greeks.

37. War of the Worlds (2005)

I know there are many iterations of this film as well, and I'm talking the Stephen Spielberg-directed version. The tone of terror and hopelessness is portrayed so well in this film, I especially attach to the father-son struggle and bond between Tom Cruise and Justin Chatwin. The ending is what really gets me though, so simple yet ingenious at the same time.

36. Napoleon Dynamite

So many people I know, including my own parents, can't stand this film. There's something I love about it though- the simpleton, rural, warm-hearted feeling it gives off, Napoleon's struggle with bullies, girls, his own social status limitations. It does it in such a weird way I think it makes it great- it's definitely not the most exciting film you'll ever see but it sticks with me and I enjoy the soundtrack too.

35. Halloween III: Season of the Witch

Whenever I hear people talk about the Halloween series, it's either to comment on how great the original was or how awful the sequels are. But to me it was the third movie that was the best, breaking the mold set by the others and remaining the only 'different' movie in the series. The departure from the classic slasher film to a mad scientist trying to target children gives to a much more refreshing plotline.

34. The Watch

Definitely crude humor abound, but with Vaughn, Stiller and Hill how can you go wrong? Stiller as the classic moralist feels so right but what I love about this film is how this movie blends comedy, action, sci-fi, (and even some instances horror I'd say) all into one successfully. The plot proves versatile as well, with one twist in particular completely catching me off-guard.

33. Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian

What really makes this movie for me is the historical personalities. Especially Colonel Custer, Amelia Earhart, Al Capone, Napoleon, and even the fictional Jedediah and Kahmunrah, the chemistry between the characters makes the whole movie. The plot isn't half bad either to be honest.

32. Stand by Me

A fantastic tale of a childhood bonding experience between four pre-adolescents, it's an endearing story. Parts of it remind me of the Sandlot, especially the old man with the dog and I feel like this is the movie they got that from. I enjoyed the characters played by Corey Feldman and Wil Wheaton the most.

31. Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey

This is a heart-warming tale of three stray animals on a journey full of enormous obstacles. I haven't seen this movie in so long but it easily deserves a place on this list, i especially feel the characterization of the two dogs and the cat are fantastic, and the voice-over work is well done. This movie has a special place in my heart, it was my favorite movie as a child and it brings back nostalgia big time.

Wall Street and Lebowski.

Horrible last set, but I'm going to + rep you simply for Halloween III: Season of the Witch.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
A few good films so far, I did watch The Watch (hehe) last week, and I didn't mind it, compared to the horrible reception it's received.

I was enjoying Ted until the DVD crapped out on me so I have to get it again.

Avatar bored me, I love Stand By Me and I thought War of the Worlds was ok.

I didn't see the rest although I want to see The Watch despite it's crappy reviews.

Definitely crude humor abound, but with Vaughn, Stiller and Hill how can you go wrong?
How can't you?

I did enjoy the visuals in Avatar a lot, cheap plot, but beautiful movie
Id give it

I think Napoleon dynamite and the first Haloween are overrated as all hell

I've seen both of the night at museums (did they mak a third?) and they were alright, first one I recall had some funny moments

Thanks Fair enough I know we all have different opinions. Halloween III is seriously underrated, no doubt. You can't just see the first film in a series and assume that the rest are awful. Well you can, but it's not fair and will lead you to miss great movies.

It's definitely worth the time I think. The Watch is very dynamic genre-wise, in that regard I haven't seen many like it.

They've only made two but Stiller has said they've been kicking around ideas for a third. I bet they'll probably make it.

30. Toy Story

That baby head with the legs used to give me nightmares but man was this a good movie. Tom Hanks' voice over work is superb, I love how Buzz Lightyear is named after the greatest astronaut (that's Buzz Aldin, you can sit down Louis Armstrong thanks), the distinctive, unforgettable personalities of the characters, it all flows so well. Those army soldiers are complete bosses.

29. Independence Day

Another great Will Smith film, I'd actually have to say Jeff Goldblum's performance was my favorite, he really brings David to life just by his nuanced mannerisms. A great story about impending doom on planet Earth, this time the aliens have shields that can stop nuclear weapons. I feel like this has to be the next level of technology in terms of military strength.

28. Billy Madison

I don't care how bad RT rates this film, it's hilarious. Remember the days when Adam Sandler used to star in great movies? The addition of Norm McDonald and Chris Farley is just icing on the cake but my favorite performance is Larry Hankin as David, ever the altruistic, clever, loyal personality.

27. The Day After Tomorrow

As far as natural disaster films go, it was between this and Volcano for me. I thought Jake Gyleenhal's performance is what puts it over the top, along with the foreboding storyline as destruction tears the world apart when the Gulf Stream's time is up. The science behind it seems plausible at moments (not as sudden, more long term for sure) and I'm a sucker for the nerdy world of severe weather forecasting.

26. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (1972)

By far my favorite iteration of the Alice films, this one's a grandiose musical and definitely the oddest version I've seen by far. The cast is played by British actors who though i don't know, seem very underrated and talented. Quirky is definitely the word for this movie, it's garbage they haven't restored the film to a half-decent version for DVD.

25. Salt

This is probably the only movie on the list I was completely surprised by, didn't think I'd like it at all. It's a complex action-packed film entaing a Russian spy who infiltrates the U.S. government played by Angelina Jolie. I've seen only one other movie so full of suspense and drama, I don't care for the genre usually but Salt is that good.

24. Starship Troopers

The hyper-war sentimentality sounds like something out of pre-World War I days but makes for a great science fiction film. The brutal methods of training are powerful yet offputting, this army doesn't play around and the selflessness of several of the story's characters acts in a stark contrast; obedience vs. ideals.

23. Office Space

Hearing someone go "yeahhhh, I'm gonna need you to..." in that voice will always be one of the best movie references. Gary Cole plays a superb role as a mid-managerial tightwad and Ron Livingston is impressive as well. Something about the ending, as simplistic as it is, is so satisfying.

22. X-Men Origins: Wolverine

For most people it seems to be The Dark Night or The Avengers but for me this is the quintessential superhero movie. Hugh Jackman is such a fantastic actor, and learning the back story behind Wolverine's dynamic and occasionally insensitive personality makes so much more sense in light of all the tragedies that's befallen him. Who can blame him for not looking at the world as a ball of sunshine?

21. Hitch

I really enjoyed the dynamic duo that is Will Smith and Kevin James, both with the overwhelming capacity to be funny and serious when need be. It's great to see Smith fill a more versatile role than then ultra masculine, fearless hero is a nice change of pace. All the fantastic quotes about love and the meaning of life get to me. That constant insecurity after meeting an amazing woman and being terrified that what you have is too good to be true? Such a powerful yet relatable premise and Smith takes it in stride.

I liked Independence Day, Billy Madison, The Day After Tomorrow, Starship Troopers, and Wolverine. I didn't like Salt and I didn't see the rest.

That's an up and down set, for me. However, Starship Troopers really stands out. Love that film and I'm pleased to see that it's appeal appears to be growing. I like The Day After Tomorrow, as well, but that's got as much to do with my love of disaster movies as anything else.

Not seen X-Men, Hitch or Salt, but I'm not bothered too, either.

I don't remember anything of Toy Story, other than watching it as a kid. I also haven't seen Day After Tomorrow, Billy Madison, or Alice in a loooong time. So I can't really judge any of those

Starship Troopers and Office Space are equally fantastic cult movies

All fair points SST is a great film. Disaster movies are epic.

You should go back and see them again if you get the chance. Though I know there's so many other movies out there to see as well with the limited amount of free time you have.

20. The Thing

The fact that I saw the Prequel first made this movie's opening make so much more sense but also almost makes the story seem less cool and innovative. Kurt Russell's performance is fantastic, only movie I've ever seen him in. Honestly this movie's special effects are almost better than the 2011 one which really surprised me. I love the plot twists in this one as well, so many unexpected things happen- credit to fantastic writing.

19. Shawshank Redemption

Definitely my favorite Morgan Freeman performance, a harrowing tale of the prison life and the struggle an innocent man faces. The theme of institutionalizing convicts especially stands out for me, as does Andy's quick wit and clever dealing with the warren. Clancy Brown's performance as the captain is also amazing, I just realized that the same man who does Mr. Krabs' voice played such a convincing prison officer- talent.

18. Tsotsi

The only foreign language film on my list, Tsotsi originally runs away adolescent who goes to live with a gang of homeless children and teens. He becomes the leader of a gang and is notably ruthless before an experience changes his outlook on the world. So much of this movie seems authentic and even makes you consider your own values in a way. Not big on movies with killing usually but this is an exception. Doesn't seem like a very well known film, I'd recommend it.

17. A Few Good Men

The performances by Cruise and Nicholson are superb and the plot of a troubled lawyer defending two murder convicts in the the U.S. Marines is done so well. Kevin Bacon is a stand out here as well and I believe we can all handle the truth that this is a fantastic film.

16. Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy

I strongly believe Farrell is an overrated actor in most cases but this is an exception. Who can resist the characters of Ron, Brick, Brian and Champ as four great performances and hilarious, dynamic characters. Koechner as Champ might just be my favorite but I've always found it bizarre how Veronica turns Ron away so easily at first and then suddenly...? With such a colorful cast it's hard not to spend this movie laughing and smiling at all the ridiculous lines and memorable moments. One of my most recently seen movies on this list as well

The Thing is my favorite from your list so far. Also love Shawshank and A Few Good Men. Anchorman was funny and I haven't seen Tsotsi yet.

Glad you appreciate them as well The Thing is my second favorite horror film and very well done, if I didn't know better I'd think it was more recent than 1982 for sure. And you definitely should, it's well worth it.

15. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Definitely my favorite book from the series, it's probably my favorite movie of them as well- I love the brooding atmosphere, the danger from within the castle, it being the only time they strongly considered closing Hogwarts and the plot in general. Ken Branagh as Professor Lockhart is a series best, as is Alan Rickman's performance as Snape; this is also the final film as Richard Harris portraying Dumbledore (who I prefer as doing so). It's also the movie most faithful to its book counterpart and the critics can eat their hats- as the longest film in the series, I wouldn't have it any other way.

14. Dogeball: A True Underdog Story

One of the funniest movies I've ever seen, Ben Stiller as White Goodman is just one of those villains you can't help but love. So many fantastic quotes from the movie, and Vaughn's performance as Peter Lafleur is my favorite of his career as well. Other than being an incredible comedy there's not much else to say- the premise is good but nothing outstanding and I also really enjoyed Gary Cole and Jason Batemann as the announces as well.

13. I Am Legend

Big fan of this post-apocalyptic thriller that mixes in horror at turns. Will Smith is such a strong lead as lone actor for so much of the film and it's touching how he bonds with the dog as his only partner in a world of undead and utter annihilation. Something I just learned recently- this movie began production in 1996 but wasn't finished until 2007. I'm glad they persevered despite the budget concerns as great as it turned out to be.

12. Inception

This film definitely shattered my notion of Leonardo DiCaprio as an untalented actor merely a heartthrob for female audiences. He's great as the lead in the only heist film I've ever enjoyed, also flirting with psychological thriller as I know it had me fearing I might be living stages down in a dream myself, constantly making sure I remembered how I got places. The plot is complex for me to the point it's hard to follow at times but it really pushes your mind to think and make unseen connections and movies like that rule.

11. Jerk Theory

Not a well known one, no big actors or actresses I just really like the plot. A nice guy gets cheated on so he turns into a jerk and gets all the girls in high school he wants. But then when he finds a girl he actually cares about, he pushes her away with his facade personality and it's only someone from his past who keeps her from giving up on him. It's so bizarre (and incredible) seeing someone be retrained to be themselves; it's a powerful premise. Credit to Jenna Dewan-Tatum as well, she's much more talented than her overrated husband; one of the best female performances I've ever seen.

Tsotsi looks very interesting,it also has quite good reviews.Added it to my watchlist.

I haven't been able to get through more than a half hour of inception, but I'm going to try again when I'm wide awake. I think I saw part of I am Legend, and I think it was decent. Didn't see the rest.

Glad you plan to watch it :]

Ah. Yeah, I feel like it's something you can't understand unless you're absolutely wide awake. And I can't blame you for not seeing a lot of these; some are teen/y.a. aimed for sure or just random/weird. haha