Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Office Christmas Party (20160)

Funny as sh*t. A lot better than I expected and the reviews said it was.

In a Lonely Place (1950)

Possibly my favorite film noir flick. Watch it at least once a year.

Suspiria (1977)

One of the 10 best horror movies of all-time? Maybe, although it may be closer to top twenty. Still a classic in the genre.

Moon (2009)

Unique science fiction film that flew under the radar. Even if you're not a fan of the genre check it out.

~Groundhog Day~

The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016)

"Let's get the **** outta here."

Science and reason confront the supernatural in a scary movie which reminds us that body horror doesn't need many thrills outside of (relatively) typical human anatomy. Refreshingly bright characters dealing with a grief that feels less like cinematic shorthand than dealings with mortality that are essential to the core ideas of the picture. Unfortunately, the revelations toward the end of the film erupt like word salad that drown out the thematic and emotional weight it had built to previously. A movie that could have easily been great would it have left more questions unanswered and better respected its audience. The third act is just too conventional, supplying lowbrow, expository satisfaction which auteurs like David Fincher and M. Night have inflicted a second rate version of upon our idea of prestige television. What a pity.
I couldn't agree more. I said it before, the movie would've been great if it all took place in that one room and the story unfolded solely through the autopsy. Obviously with some tweaks.

A Matter of Life and Death (1946, Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger)

For all I know, this movie probably has some historical significance, and I admit there were a few touching moments here and there but unfortunately the rest of it was just silly, dated, and at times annoying. The whole "heavenly trial" segment, in particular, lost me completely with its pompous political agitprop. I don't usually like calling films overrated but in this case I just can't help it - the amount of critical acclaim this film has gotten over the years is, frankly, baffling.

I couldn't agree more. I said it before, the movie would've been great if it all took place in that one room and the story unfolded solely through the autopsy. Obviously with some tweaks.
it's a big
+ for me amazing flick.

The Autopsy Of Jane Doe

You can't win an argument just by being right!
it's a big
+ for me amazing flick.

The Autopsy Of Jane Doe
I thought it was pretty refreshing, and the acting was great, but I must admit I fell asleep for the reveal and pretty happy about that. For me it would have spoilt it a bit, I think.

Absolutely enjoyable trash. One of those movies that is so bad that it is good, so laughable and what other film could you ever see what amounts to a terminator spanking a high school student?

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
A Matter of Life and Death (1946, Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger)

For all I know, this movie probably has some historical significance, and I admit there were a few touching moments here and there but unfortunately the rest of it was just silly, dated, and at times annoying. The whole "heavenly trial" segment, in particular, lost me completely with its pompous political agitprop. I don't usually like calling films overrated but in this case I just can't help it - the amount of critical acclaim this film has gotten over the years is, frankly, baffling.
I'm happy you're watching great films but I find your reaction to the awesome cinematic creativity on display far more baffling.

Resident Evil: Afterlife (2010) REwatch

I tried, Iro.

LOL we saw one the other night. I dont even remember which one it was because I only lasted about 15 minutes.

I'm happy you're watching great films but I find your reaction to the awesome cinematic creativity on display far more baffling.
...Wouldn't it be much better if you pointed out the reasons why you appreciate a film?...as opposed to criticizing those who don't share your views?

Or you could give some background history or insight into what the director was trying to achieve in a movie. That might make a person take a second look at a film that they initially dismissed.

I would think as MoFo's Master of the Movies, you would be trying to encourage others with your love for cinema. The negative approach only turns potential cinema fans off. I know you love cinema, try sharing that love with others.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Moana (2016)

I hadn't had much interest in seeing this, but for all its story is nothing new, I was surprisingly entertained. The songs are great.

movies can be okay...

Manchester by the Sea (2016) by Ken Lonergan
FINALLY ! Someone who isn't up this film's *******.
"A film has to be a dialogue, not a monologue — a dialogue to provoke in the viewer his own thoughts, his own feelings. And if a film is a dialogue, then it’s a good film; if it’s not a dialogue, it’s a bad film."
- Michael "Gloomy Old Fart" Haneke

FINALLY ! Someone who isn't up this film's *******.
I'm not sure if I want to even see it at the moment. I keep seeing people say it's depressing.

movies can be okay...
I'm not sure if I want to even see it at the moment. I keep seeing people say it's depressing.
After my first watch of "Manchester By The Sea", I ended up kinda loving it....for a minute, once I thought about it and watched it again, it was really manipulative, bland and pandering, it's nothing special in my eyes.

Yeah I'm not really sure it's my cuppa tea (I've only just read the synopsis. People kept recommending Silver Linings Playbook to me nd when I finally got around to it I kind of wish I hadn't. Great acting IMO but I really didn't like any of the characters, and i feel MbtS will leave me feeling the same way.

I had seen this back in the early 2000's on dvd. I liked it then, even though I could not grasp it.

The scenes each had such an incredible mood to them, that it did not matter in the least if sense was to come of them.

This most recent time, I deduced that it was a dream, linked by a symbolic key, but that's as far as I got. It was a dream by a failed actress, and a key and box showed up in the dream as an indicator of delusion. But that's it. It's an enormous film that really puts Lynch up there with some of the best surrealist film makers ever. The only detriment is that today, all these great riffs have been carried over and someone younger may not recognize the history. But who cares about that? Not me.