Great films you just can't re-make

Tools    

I don't think it is so much 'greatness' that makes a film impossible to effectively re-make. Films whose strengths are conventional - great pacing, great but not necessarily iconic performances, great stories etc. - can be effectively re-made (though it may work better as to re-imagine it in some major way, i.e. Yojimbo --> A Fistful of Dollars). The films that can never work as re-makes are those that are the product of true auteurs working in radically iconic styles or dealing with intensely personalized thematic material (say Wong Kar-Wai or early Bergman) or films driven by larger than life performances (like Jack Nicholson at his peak).

Damn, you've just dashed my hopes for a CUCKOO'S NEST remake starring Johnny Knoxville!

Not so commonly none battle royale this is a wonderfull asian film which is unfortunatley i think is being remade as we speak by the americans.

Even though Burton's chocolate factory was nowhere near as good as the original I liked it.

That's kinda the way I am, after a certain period of time any film can be remade. The better the film the longer the wait. Example:

Hot Fuzz: 25 years
Fantastic Four: 10 years

course ther's always your "politely ignoring-osity" á la Incredible Hulk ignoring Hulk and Superman Returns ignoring Superman III and IV.

Citizen Cane, Lawrence of Arabia, Godfather, Casablanca

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Citizen Cane, Lawrence of Arabia, Godfather, Casablanca
They probably wouldn't "remake Citizen Cane", but they could put out a Christmas version: Charlie Sucked My Christmas Cane Until It Was Gone With the Wind.

They do have these ridiculously long titles nowadays.

I don't have anything to add to this thread except..

"I been tappin your phone my little rattlesnake
Yeah, slimes of the feather grind together
I oughta scatter your brains from here to White Plains
You're the dirty rat who killed my brother Louie
she killed Louie? Louie the Fly?!
Now, I kinda like that in a girl
Shoulda gunned the bastardsunnuvabitch down myself..."

I cant control my brain.
I would die if they re-make
The Adventures Of Priscilla Queen Of The Desert, something that perfect should never be messed with. Ghost busters? rocky?

But then some movies are way better when they're re-made... like little shop of horrors, i loved the original, then i saw the re-make and i loved it even more.
Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.

Lost in never never land
I was going to say Casablanca was well, that one never should be remade. Even though they try and remake parts of it in the movie Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, and they fail miserably. MST3K couldn't even save that movie from being a terrible film. I would recommend painful surgery before that film. I think that remakes of Godfather and Citizen Kane would be hard to do as well, simply because of their being so iconic in the film industry. Films like: Alone in the Dark, Welcome to the Jungle, Epic Movie, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, Santa Conquers the Martians also should never be remade, but they don't qualify as great films. But a sort of great, and generally odd films, that shouldn't be remade is Ary of Darkness, just for the fact that it is a cult classic and any new version of it, even if done by the same director, couldn't really do it justice. The Rocky Horror Picture Show is another film in which that would be true as well.
I wish, I wish he'd go away."
-From Identity

I am surprised no one has mentioned films like Monty Python & the Holy Grail or Army of Darkness. They are far too perfect and campy just the way they are to ever be messed with!

Founding member of the Divide by Zero Foundation.

There's too much blood in my caffeine system!!

Great movies like Casablanca, The Sound of Music, and of course, Gone With The Wind. No one ever dared to have a remake for definitely, critics and viewers will bash them if they can't come up with the public's expectations.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I am surprised no one has mentioned films like Monty Python & the Holy Grail or Army of Darkness. They are far too perfect and campy just the way they are to ever be messed with!
Err...the post above you mentions Army of Darkness!

Any and every horror movie ever made...nothing sucks worse than a big budget horror movie remake

Horrorphiliac

Great movies like Casablanca, The Sound of Music, and of course, Gone With The Wind. No one ever dared to have a remake for definitely, critics and viewers will bash them if they can't come up with the public's expectations.
Actually, Sergio Leone reportedly wanted to remake Gone With The Wind. I would love to have seen his version.

Killing's As Easy As Breathing...
i think they should never try and remake 'Public Enemy' its just too good and different(for its time) to be remade

Nothing can beat Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory...I much prefer the first than that Charlie and the baddest part of it was they made it a Gothic type of movie....

Haunted Heart, Beautiful Dead Soul
Jewel Robbery, Dr. Strangelove, Jaws, Elmer Gantry, Pinocchio (oops!), Alice in Wonderland, Paths of Glory, Treasure of the Sierra Madre, The Maltese Falcon (third time's the charm), etc.

which alice in wonderland? have u ever seen the 1939 version with wc feilds and cary grant and lots more from that era??? i saw it when i was a little girl and spent the last few years trying to find it on dvd.. lucky for me, i found it on ebay. i hope u will try out this version

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Disney 1951 version. I have seen the 1933 version you mentioned, but I thought it was a mess. It's true that I saw it about 30-35 years ago on commercial TV, but it seemed like they really blew it, although there were some decent surrealistic touches for a '30s American film. I will give it another shot if I can ever find a way to watch it again.

So many old films in my head
Great choice! I agree that Kubrick in general should not be touched. I think that any film can be remade, but should it be? There is so much talent out there, writers, directors who actually have original ideas, wow imagine that!

Too many remakes, far too many for all the creativity out there.
I agree generally about Kubrick films. Just think about Spartacus and the battle scene. CGI cannot compensate for a cast of thousands and a meticulous, control freak director. I would also add to the list El Cid for similar reasons (although not a Kubrick film).