The MoFo Top 100 Neo-noir Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Yea I just knew Mother was going to show up today. Of course nobody is going to believe me because I didn't post my guess. It feels like when you throw something into the garbage can from the other side of the room and nobody saw it.
Anyway, love both of today's films, no votes but Mother is on my top 100 neo-noirs list and I can be persuaded to place Mystic River on it as well If I read some convincing arguments that it's a neo.

SEEN 30/34
BALLOT 5/25

Actor Stats Pit Stop

Won Bin (The Man from Nowhere, Mother)

Dennis Hopper (The American Friend, Red Rock West)

Robert Mitchum (The Friends of Eddie Coyle, Cape Fear)

I have seen Mystic River its a good movie but not on my list. I haven't seen Mother. I am not well versed in Asian cinema. I know the Koreans have been making excellent stuff for like thirty years now but I haven't seen very much of it.
I think Bong films are an excellent entry point. They all range from pretty good to great, and they're all fairly accessible.

I haven't posted in a number of days because I haven't really had anything to say about any of the reveals. I've seen a couple of the films, but not recently enough to remember them particularly well. Today's a bit different though!

I nominated Mother in the Asian Hall of Fame, so it's probably not surprising that I had it on my list for this Countdown as well. This was what I said about it in the HoF:

Mother / 마더 (2009)
Directed By: Bong Joon-ho
Starring: Kim Hye-ja, Won Bin, Jin Goo

Mother is a slow moving film that is as much about it's titular character's growing desperation as it is about the murder mystery at its centre. It can be tense and unnerving at times, but as with many of Joon-ho's other films, it still contains the occasional dose of dark humour that is a little more obvious in the first act than later on. The film starts strong, then meanders a little in the middle, before closing with a strong finish. The first time I watched it, I found it so compelling that I didn't even notice that the central character was never given a name.

Kim Hye-ja's performance as the unnamed mother is simply fantastic. Her character's commitment to her son is the driving force behind the plot, and as such Hye-ja carries the bulk of the film's emotional weight on her shoulders. While the mystery she is attempting to unravel is interesting enough in its own right, it is the mother's plight that captivated me throughout the film. It's hard not to sympathize with the poor, single mother who, though a little overbearing, clearly loves her son.

The son's mental disability is never fully explained, but I don't think giving the audience his diagnosis would change anything. He's clearly a little naïve, and has issues with recollection and handling unexpected and stressful moments. The first scene at the police station is evidence that he'll agree with an incorrect version of events when someone else leads him into them, and that is all that is needed to set up his later situation. I appreciate the manner in which the story is told, and the unexpected turns it takes to set it apart from the typical thriller.
Seen: 17/34

My List: 4
05. Blue Ruin (2013) - #82
06. Mother (2009) - #67
10. The Man from Nowhere (2010) - #87
15. Infernal Affairs (2002) - #91
25. The Chaser (2008) - DNP 1-pointer

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... MYSTIC RIVER

RT – 89%, IMDb – 7.9

Roger Ebert said:

"To see strong acting like this is exhilarating. In a time of flashy directors who slice and dice their films in a dizzy editing rhythm, it is important to remember that films can look and listen and attentively sympathize with their characters. Directors grow great by subtracting, not adding, and Eastwood does nothing for show, everything for effect." (read full document here)
Sckylar Gibby-Brown, from Giant Freakin Robot, said:

"Coming from the direction of Clint Eastwood, it’s no surprise that Mystic River is a gritty neo-noir crime drama. But it’s also so much more than that. This movie is a masterful exploration of guilt, grief, and the enduring impact of trauma." (read full review here)
@dadgumblah said:

"The entire cast is perfection and there are more than a few surprises in the script [...] It takes its time, deals with the characters mostly over the mystery, which in this case works in spades. Best of all, I'm inspired to see more Sean Penn films. A highly recommended movie." (read full review here)

WHAT DID YOU THINK OF... MOTHER

RT – 96%, IMDb – 7.7

Roger Ebert said:

"The film is labyrinthine and deceptive, and not in a way we anticipate. It becomes a pleasure for the mind. Long after a conventional thriller would have its destination in plain sight, Mother is still penetrating our assumptions." (read full document here)
Sofia Murell, from Surrounded by Films, said:

"Setting the mood as a film noir, Bong navigates through several genres simultaneously, from comedy to drama, in a way that goes from one genre to the other without notice, overlapping each other in some cases. Through a brilliant narrative, the protagonist’s development, and the exceptional acting of Kim Hye-ja, Mother navigates our judgement as well in terms of which character one should trust." (read full review here)
@Okay said:

"One of the best things about Mother is how well the drama and the humour mashes together, and it does so in such a captivating way, the director does an excellent job at making a hilarious yet heart clenching film." (read full review here)

I saw Mother once and although it's good, I haven't been inclined to watch it again.
That means you're off the schneid. So is there anyone left on the scoreless list?

EDIT: Never mind. I'm thinking of the noir thread.

1 for 2 again. Have watched Mystic River and, once again, when Mother came out it sounded intriguing as hell but then ... never got around to it. Neither were on my ballot. I thought MR was okay but was expecting more judging from all the praise it received. I did like the book though.

17 of 34 seen.

I had Mother at #21. Mystic River is quite good too, but I never considered it.

My List:
11. The Friends of Eddie Coyle (#100)
12. Branded to Kill (#71)
18. Following (#84)
21. Mother (#67)
22. Purple Noon (#94)

I love Mystic River and did think of it for this countdown, but I couldn't get on board with it for the genre.

Saw Mother once and thought highly of it.

Everything by Bong Joon-Ho, even the stuff that seems, at first glance, like something destined to be campy and/or just dumb, always ends up being good. I have not seen Mother, but now I know I should.

Both are good films that didn't come close to making my list, whether due to where I rank them or if they are actually film noirs...but I guess they are, at least technically. It's going to be interesting to look at the finished list and what made it and the overall noirness of the list.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

AWARDS?

Mystic River received a truckload of nominations and awards. These are some of the most notable:
  • Eight (8) Critics Choice Award nominations, including wins for Best Actor (Penn) and Best Supporting Actor (Robbins)
  • Eight (8) Satellite Award nominations, including a win for Best Screenplay (Helgeland)
  • Six (6) Academy Award nominations, including wins for Best Actor (Sean Penn) and Best Supporting Actor (Tim Robbins)
  • Five (5) Golden Globe Award nominations, including wins for Best Actor (Penn) and Best Supporting Actor (Robbins)
  • Four (4) BAFTA Award nominations, including Best Screenplay (Brian Helgeland)
  • Two (2) Cannes Film Festival Award nominations, including winning the Golden Coach Award (Clint Eastwood)

AWARDS?

Mother also received a good bunch of nominations and awards. These are some of the most notable:
  • Six (6) Grand Bell Award nominations, including a win for Best Supporting Actor (Jin Goo)
  • Six (6) Asian Film Award nominations, including a win for Best Screenwriter (Eun-kyo Park and Bong Joon Ho)
  • Five (5) Blue Dragon Award nominations, including a win for Best Film
  • Five (5) Cine21 Movie Awards, including Best Film and Best Director of the Year
  • Four (4) Chlotrudis Award nominations, including a win for Best Actress (Kim Hye-ja)
  • Three (3) Indiewire Critics Poll Award nominations, including Best Film

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
#68. Mystic River (2003) - saw it in theatre when it was released. I found it kind of a mixed bag, that's why I've never tried to revisit it since then. In addition, I was a bit confused by its double male-acting Oscar awards.
-
66/100
-----

#67. Mother (2009) - saw it couple of months ago because it was mentioned in the preliminary thread. A mixed bag too. Very nice acting by the main actress for what - some meaningless drama flick. There are thousands of drama stories out there. Should they all be turned into movies? I feel, this film had the only purpose to show exactly the main actress' acting, nothing more.
+
64/100

Everything by Bong Joon-Ho, even the stuff that seems, at first glance, like something destined to be campy and/or just dumb, always ends up being good. I have not seen Mother, but now I know I should.
Most definitely. He's batting 1.000 as far as I'm concerned.

Mystic River was my number 1! So obviously glad that it made it. Just one of my favorite films period.
Didn't you nominate Mystic River in a HoF once? I just checked and I don't see where you did but I swear it was your nom and that's why I watched it.