President Trump

Tools    

You can't win an argument just by being right!
Totally understandable.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
What area of the country do you guys live in. I know literally no one who is apart of ACA, because the first A is a total cipher. I know half a dozen people who would rather pay the penalty. I'm almost positive I am for universal health if done properly, but Obamacare is a complete joke. I would love some stories from middle to lower class people who it has helped.
my husband. unfortunately he's a cancer survivor - 8 years remission and counting, so with a pre existing condition he was never able to find affordable healthcare until Obamacare. now he's going to lose that and be uninsured, which is worrisome for obvious reasons. I could add him to mine, but it's crazy expensive and unfortunately we just can't afford it.

my husband. unfortunately he's a cancer survivor - 8 years remission and counting, so with a pre existing condition he was never able to find affordable healthcare until Obamacare. now he's going to lose that and be uninsured, which is worrisome for obvious reasons. I could add him to mine, but it's crazy expensive and unfortunately we just can't afford it.
I'm very sorry to hear that. No one wants the preexisting condition to go away fortunately. That was an element of healthcare that was atrocious, and everyone agrees on that. I'm glad that you all have found Obamacare affordable. I have looked into it for three people, and it seems pretty outrageous on the whole.

You can't win an argument just by being right!

That's outrageous, Ash. I wonder how much trumpty will scream if he happens to have to pay out of his own pocket if he gets sick with something serious.

You ready? You look ready.
I'm very sorry to hear that. No one wants the preexisting condition to go away fortunately. That was an element of healthcare that was atrocious, and everyone agrees on that. I'm glad that you all have found Obamacare affordable. I have looked into it for three people, and it seems pretty outrageous on the whole.
My mom is affected by the ACA: she used to spend half her income just on her health insurance premiums. Spends a fraction of it now. Yeah, damn expensive that Affordable Care Act.

Btw, it concerns me that Senators can't even refer to the bill by its proper name. Old tactics die hard: demonize the opposition with a catchy slogan.
"This is that human freedom, which all boast that they possess, and which consists solely in the fact, that men are conscious of their own desire, but are ignorant of the causes whereby that desire has been determined." -Baruch Spinoza

My mom is affected by the ACA: she used to spend half her income just on her health insurance premiums. Spends a fraction of it now. Yeah, damn expensive that Affordable Care Act.

Btw, it concerns me that Senators can't even refer to the bill by its proper name. Old tactics die hard: demonize the opposition with a catchy slogan.
I woild love to know what she's spending. As I mentioned I looked into it for three people and they were going to have to pay $500-$600 a month. These are people that are making less than $15 an hour. Don't fool yourself, he freaking love that it is called Obamacare. It was his #1 priority, to be the guy that finally got it done.

I woild love to know what she's spending. As I mentioned I looked into it for three people and they were going to have to pay $500-$600 a month. These are people that are making less than $15 an hour. Don't fool yourself, he freaking love that it is called Obamacare. It was his #1 priority, to be the guy that finally got it done.
Guess what?

Before ACA: $800/month
After ACA: $150/month

She makes less than $15 an hour. But what do I know? I barely know Alegrba.

Guess what?

Not sure where the hostility is comong from, but have at it. That's great, and more than fair in my opinion. Not sure why some can get that and others can't. Been a couple years since I looked though. My mother would like to retire because my dad already has. She is waiting till 65 because of insurance. If she coild have got that kind of price she would have been gone. Big disparity there, but that seems to be the way it goes with insurance, I guess ACA is no different. My insurance at work has been a roller-coaster the last fout years. My health hasn't changed, my kids hasn't. Think that's what frustrates people the most, the uncertainty.

I've only talked to two people who have insurance through ACA. One is concerned about Trump getting rid of it before she gets full-time and insurance through her employer, and the other is a relatively young retiree who in no uncertain terms loves it.

Not sure where the hostility is comong from, but have at it. That's great, and more than fair in my opinion. Not sure why some can get that and others can't. Been a couple years since I looked though. My mother would like to retire because my dad already has. She is waiting till 65 because of insurance. If she coild have got that kind of price she would have been gone. Big disparity there, but that seems to be the way it goes with insurance, I guess ACA is no different. My insurance at work has been a roller-coaster the last fout years. My health hasn't changed, my kids hasn't. Think that's what frustrates people the most, the uncertainty.
Not hostile: annoyance. I'm just tired of hearing healthy people complain about the ACA and the cost of their premiums. They have no understanding of the burden health insurance is on someone with limited income and chronic health problems.

The ACA ain't great but it has single handily changed the way we view insurance. Personally, I think the Republicans are just butt hurt that they didn't reform insurance themselves.

Not hostile: annoyance. I'm just tired of hearing healthy people complain about the ACA and the cost of their premiums. They have no understanding of the burden health insurance is on someone with limited income and chronic health problems.

The ACA ain't great but it has single handily changed the way we view insurance. Personally, I think the Republicans are just butt hurt that they didn't reform insurance themselves.
I'm one of those people impacted by my premiums jumping up about 22% in 2017 because of ACA. However, if that's the cost of not letting the insurance and pharmaceutical companies continue to bend over the majority of the population so they can charge 700.00 for a pill and then try to tell you you never needed it to begin with....have at it.

i'm SUPER GOOD at Jewel karaoke
when my husband signed up with ACA a couple years ago or whatever, he went through an insurance agent that was set up through his work. i think he pays like $75 a month? it isn't the greatest policy, but it's something. anyway, a friend of ours was recently visiting and he mentioned that when he tried to look into getting on the ACA it was going to be like $500+ a month for him too, like a lot of people here were saying. we recommended the insurance agent my husband had - long story short, the guy ended up getting affordable healthcare after going through that specific agent.

I don't see how this could be true, since things like Medicaid are premised on exactly this, and they didn't meet with anywhere near the same level of opposition. There hasn't been a sustained opposition to helping out sick people.

What there has been a sustained opposition to ("complain[ing]," as you chose to put it) is being sold a bill of goods about what this legislation would do that was either a lie, or so incredibly wrong that it might as well have been.

The ACA ain't great but it has single handily changed the way we view insurance.
Well, yeah: by literally destroying the entire concept. What we have now isn't insurance: it's simple a transfer payment.

Obfuscating what a law does by misusing words is a bad thing, even if you like the goal, because it's not always going to be used in service of something you like.

Personally, I think the Republicans are just butt hurt that they didn't reform insurance themselves.
Pretty sure they're taking a victory lap for predicting what the law would do better than its proponents did.

I'm one of those people impacted by my premiums jumping up about 22% in 2017 because of ACA. However, if that's the cost of not letting the insurance and pharmaceutical companies continue to bend over the majority of the population
They're making larger profits under Obamacare. And it shouldn't be hard to see why: "pass a law to force everyone to buy their product" isn't exactly the best way to stick it to 'em.

so they can charge 700.00 for a pill and then try to tell you you never needed it to begin with....have at it.
This is pretty non-specific (I can't tell if you're upset about the marginal costs of drugs once they've been approved, or their relative ineffectiveness, or the lack of generic options), but in two of those three scenarios, the solution is probably FDA reform.

They're making larger profits under Obamacare. And it shouldn't be hard to see why: "pass a law to force everyone to buy their product" isn't exactly the best way to stick it to 'em.

This is pretty non-specific (I can't tell if you're upset about the marginal costs of drugs once they've been approved, or their relative ineffectiveness, or the lack of generic options), but in two of those three scenarios, the solution is probably FDA reform.
While I agree with your points, I've never been one to be thrilled with the way the healthcare industry bilks the system. I absolutely agree with your idea of FDA reform but sadly, it's something they will never do.

A system of cells interlinked
Guess what?

OK, before the ACA I paid 17$ (around 70 per month) per week into health insurance and I had Harvard Pilgrim Health Care with free prescriptions and 10 dollar doctor visits. After ACA I now pay 300 per month and I have a huge deductible and prescriptions cost a lot more. I am way worse off as far as my personal costs.

This is to highlight the fact that both of our arguments are really bad, because neither of us has provided any context at all in regards to the many other factors involved with insurance.

Don't even get me started on the fact that I am coerced into buying something in a particular marketplace or I am fined by our government.

The only part of ACA that can be defended is the preexisting condition aspect - everything else is TERRIBLE.

I'm one of those people impacted by my premiums jumping up about 22% in 2017 because of ACA. However, if that's the cost of not letting the insurance and pharmaceutical companies continue to bend over the majority of the population so they can charge 700.00 for a pill and then try to tell you you never needed it to begin with....have at it.
My premiums are more for me this year but I get insurance through a consortium of private colleges, so it wasn't a drastic hike. However, I recognize that my premiums cost more because their are more sick people--who have potential to be healthier--being insured: this is fine with me.

OK, before the ACA I paid 17$ (around 70 per month) per week into health insurance and I had Harvard Pilgrim Health Care with free prescriptions and 10 dollar doctor visits. After ACA I now pay 300 per month and I have a huge deductible and prescriptions cost a lot more. I am way worse off as far as my personal costs.

This is to highlight the fact that both of our arguments are really bad, because neither of us has provided any context at all in regards to the many other factors involved with insurance.

Don't even get me started on the fact that I am coerced into buying something in a particular marketplace or I am fined by our government.

The only part of ACA that can be defended is the preexisting condition aspect - everything else is TERRIBLE.
I hate to put it so bluntly to you good friend, but welcome to our side of the fence. I mean, you know the history with my sis so like...if we really started counting numbers there'd just be no point. I think there are a few other MoFos here that can relate. My mom still has a huge deductible and prescriptions cost more for her, too. But to tack on those heavy costs after the premiums, if the premiums are lowish, is FAR better than what my family has experienced before the ACA: insane premiums, insane prescription costs, and a high deductible.

I am not saying I agree with the law, but I'm just trying to put it into perspective. And for the record, the worst part of the ACA is that God awful healthcare.gov website.

when my husband signed up with ACA a couple years ago or whatever, he went through an insurance agent that was set up through his work. i think he pays like $75 a month? it isn't the greatest policy, but it's something. anyway, a friend of ours was recently visiting and he mentioned that when he tried to look into getting on the ACA it was going to be like $500+ a month for him too, like a lot of people here were saying. we recommended the insurance agent my husband had - long story short, the guy ended up getting affordable healthcare after going through that specific agent.
So does your husband's job bear part of the cost?