Star Wars: The Force Awakens

Tools    

Saw the trailer in IMAX 3D when I went to The Walk. I think my first viewing may be that way. Getting excited.

It's most likely the"were home" trailer am I correct a new trailer is coming some time in the next 7 days (the exact date is being disputed amongst the sources)

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Had a rewatch of the original trilogy last week, probably 5 years since I watched them.

In general I must say that most of Lucas changes are for the better, they really help the trilogy to become more timeless with the technical shots, obviously we have the rage enducing moments too, Hayden's ghost for example....facepalm.

A New Hope 9.5/10

Actually better than I remember it, suffers only for the fact that the small budget sometimes shows and being the first part, "Star Wars" doesn't really know what it is yet. Having a used Galaxy, frontier feel with really good backstory already in place for many of the characters really helps things. 2nd best movie of the saga.

Empire Strikes Back 10/10

If there is such a thing as a perfect movie then this is it. The Han and Leia love story is amazing, moving from repressed to desperate love by the end. The Yoda/Luke stuff is off the scale brilliant, the training, the cave, Luke growing in power, the visions, the XWing scene, I'm still blown away by it all and it's literally the 100th time I've seen it. Special mention to great acting by Mark Hamill and Frank Oz controlling Yoda, you literally never think "this is a puppet". Ending in an awesome encounter as an unprepared Luke faces Vader. The Empire truly strikes back, the hero's get pounded throughout.

Return of the Jedi 9/10

No real middle to this movie but basically a rescue followed by a long finale, but a powerful finale it is (see what I did there). You have to suspend your brain at times during both the Jabba palace stuff and the surface battle of Endor, bows and arrows will not pierce Stormtrooper armour....just no. Overgrown teddy bears basically defeat "an entire legion of my best troops". Well if that's your best I don't know how the **** you control the galaxy. The strength of the movie is the saga stuff, Luke with a dying Yoda and a very moving scene with Leia then onto a great scene with Vader, "I feel the good in you", "It is too late for me now son", WOW, this scene sets up the end perfectly. Proabably the best stuff in the whole series is the Emperor/Luke/Vader dynamic in the throne room, especially when Luke crushes Vader to that haunting Williams score, not the choreography of the prequels but 100x the gravitas. Special mention for the space battle of Endor, still the best space fight put to film BY FAR and 30 years old, using mostly models.

Special mention to Williams score throughout the films, seems to play constantly. Hard to quantify how good Star Wars would be without this master work.

Even though the new trailer is hitting in a matter of days, I would personally not wanna see another one so I can be more surprised at the film.
I would agree but I go to the movies too often for it to be a realistic option. So I just don't fight it.

Saw the trailer in IMAX 3D when I went to The Walk. I think my first viewing may be that way. Getting excited.
How did you get to The Walk?

Did you... walk?

Had a rewatch of the original trilogy last week, probably 5 years since I watched them.

In general I must say that most of Lucas changes are for the better, they really help the trilogy to become more timeless with the technical shots, obviously we have the rage enducing moments too, Hayden's ghost for example....facepalm.

A New Hope 9.5/10

Actually better than I remember it, suffers only for the fact that the small budget sometimes shows and being the first part, "Star Wars" doesn't really know what it is yet. Having a used Galaxy, frontier feel with really good backstory already in place for many of the characters really helps things. 2nd best movie of the saga.

Empire Strikes Back 10/10

If there is such a thing as a perfect movie then this is it. The Han and Leia love story is amazing, moving from repressed to desperate love by the end. The Yoda/Luke stuff is off the scale brilliant, the training, the cave, Luke growing in power, the visions, the XWing scene, I'm still blown away by it all and it's literally the 100th time I've seen it. Special mention to great acting by Mark Hamill and Frank Oz controlling Yoda, you literally never think "this is a puppet". Ending in an awesome encounter as an unprepared Luke faces Vader. The Empire truly strikes back, the hero's get pounded throughout.

Return of the Jedi 9/10

No real middle to this movie but basically a rescue followed by a long finale, but a powerful finale it is (see what I did there). You have to suspend your brain at times during both the Jabba palace stuff and the surface battle of Endor, bows and arrows will not pierce Stormtrooper armour....just no. Overgrown teddy bears basically defeat "an entire legion of my best troops". Well if that's your best I don't know how the **** you control the galaxy. The strength of the movie is the saga stuff, Luke with a dying Yoda and a very moving scene with Leia then onto a great scene with Vader, "I feel the good in you", "It is too late for me now son", WOW, this scene sets up the end perfectly. Proabably the best stuff in the whole series is the Emperor/Luke/Vader dynamic in the throne room, especially when Luke crushes Vader to that haunting Williams score, not the choreography of the prequels but 100x the gravitas. Special mention for the space battle of Endor, still the best space fight put to film BY FAR and 30 years old, using mostly models.

Special mention to Williams score throughout the films, seems to play constantly. Hard to quantify how good Star Wars would be without this master work.
Yeah I think universally The Empire Strikes Back is considered the best Star Wars movie and it rightly is. Nothing beats "Luke, I Am Your Father" imo

I am not as excited for The Force Awakens as a lot of people are. Many don't realize how thin of ice Star Wars is walking on, sure it has one of the biggest fan bases in history but that doesn't excuse the 3 shitfests people had to sit through, many people are still feeling the sting from the prequels (fans will still go see this movie regardless in hopes of it being good) and having the original people (Luke, Han, Leia, etc) in the new movie will not make it a good movie. The story has to be compelling like the originals were. I got introduced to Star Wars through the Phantom Menace (I was relatively young and I still thought the movie was bad, from just a movie perspective having not even seen the originals yet when I watched the movie, I also wanted to kill Jar Jar Binks upon seeing him for the first time lol, most annoying character i've ever seen in movie history) and that is why I am not a die hard Star Wars fan like many are. If Episode 7 is good then I will be looking forward to Episode 8 and 9, and if not, well at least we'll still have the originals.

Originally Posted by AdamUpBxtch
Nothing beats "Luke, I Am Your Father" imo

It's "No, I am your father." Geez.

Yeah I think universally The Empire Strikes Back is considered the best Star Wars movie and it rightly is. Nothing beats "Luke, I Am Your Father" imo
If you're such a fan than you should know the actual quote. lol

Oh be nice! That quote was misinterpreted a long time ago!.... in a galaxy far far away..... sorry had to finish that

It's "No, I am your father." Geez.
Everybody is a perfectionist

I'm not a huge fan that is what i explained in the paragraph after that misquote lol

I've rewatched Star Wars like 5 times so I don't know the exact quotes to pretty much anything in those movies (Now ask me Jurassic Park quotes I dare ya lol), and I personally think Empire Strikes Back is the best of the series. (I recently rewatched the Prequels to critique them, and I'll probably rewatch the original trilogy here soon before going to see The Force Awakens)