Sci-Fi Recommendations

Tools    

2001 already won this thing.
I thought highly of 2001 and it will figure high on my list,but I'm not so sure that it's has a lock on #1. It gets very mixed reviews here at MoFo, it'll be interesting to see where it ends up.

2001 won the 60's over Psycho. It's not going to even be close. It will, however, be interesting to see what finishes #2.

Good choices there I plan on watching both of those for the countdown. I hope everyone will give 2001 A Space Odyssey a watch. Some say it's a master piece, others find it boring. But either a way it's a film that deserves a serious look, or a rewatch.
i saw 2001 about 4 times already, such a visual and epic saga, other sci fi recommedations aswell is The arrival(1996)

I watched last night and was very impressed with 2010: The Year We Make Contact (1984)

That was the first movie I ever went to see by myself.
Quite a different film from its predecessor.

That was the first movie I ever went to see by myself.
Quite a different film from its predecessor.
Did you not like 2010?

I hadn't seen it in 15 years and I thought it was well done and it respected the original.

Did you not like 2010?

I hadn't seen it in 15 years and I thought it was well done and it respected the original.
I actually liked it more in a more recent viewing than when I first saw it (but by "more recent" we're probably talking about 4 to 6 years ago!).

It was much more mainstream than the original, throwing in things like the U.S. and Soviet tensions. One of the best scenes (forgive me on the details) is where the ship is accelerating and a young female Cosmonaut snuggles into a bunk with Roy Scheider because everybody on board is scared.
I remember it being a bit loose with continuity as I had trouble figuring out if Scheider was supposed to be the same guy from the original movie (apparently he was supposed to be the same character: Heywood Floyd).
To this day I still think something is up with Europa!

...One of the best scenes (forgive me on the details) is where the ship is accelerating and a young female Cosmonaut snuggles into a bunk with Roy Scheider because everybody on board is scared.
OMG...that is one of two scenes that I remembered after 15 years. Great scene BTW. The other scene was John Lithgow being scared during his space walk. Funny thing I had thought all these years he was part of the Russian crew, but he was an American.

I remember it being a bit loose with continuity as I had trouble figuring out if Scheider was supposed to be the same guy from the original movie (apparently he was supposed to be the same character: Heywood Floyd).
To this day I still think something is up with Europa![/quote] Yea, the same guy, different names. I read that Kubrick changed the name from the book and in 2010 they used the name from the novel.

I'd say there's something up with Europa and we should never attempt to penetrate the ice there.

I was looking at the movie's trivia - the name that was changed was "Chandra" who was Hal's "teacher."
Kubrik changed the name for 2001, but then they used the name from the book for 2010.

Having seen both recently, do you remember if there was something odd about Heywood's family - in 2001 he talks to his daughter (who seems about 7 or 8 years old) she was played by Kubrik's real life daughter. But in 2010 Heywood's family was different - or was his daughter just absent (away at school maybe?) Did they say? I just remember it was part of the problem of recognizing Scheider as the same Heywood character.

I was looking at the movie's trivia - the name that was changed was "Chandra" who was Hal's "teacher."
Kubrik changed the name for 2001, but then they used the name from the book for 2010.

Having seen both recently, do you remember if there was something odd about Heywood's family - in 2001 he talks to his daughter (who seems about 7 or 8 years old) she was played by Kubrik's real life daughter. But in 2010 Heywood's family was different - or was his daughter just absent (away at school maybe?) Did they say? I just remember it was part of the problem of recognizing Scheider as the same Heywood character.
In 2010 Heywood says he has remarried and has a small son...and a teenage daughter from his first marriage. But they never show the teen daughter only mention her.

In 2010 Heywood says he has remarried and has a small son...and a teenage daughter from his first marriage. But they never show the teen daughter only mention her.
Interesting. So it seems they addressed that. Cool.
I looked it up and the daughter was only called "Squirt" in the first movie.

I loved 2001, but if I could change two things: I would have shortened the proto ape-human scene by 5 minutes....and added that 5 minutes to the scene where he arrives at the moon to investigate the monolith. That moon/monolith scene seemed abbreviated to me, I would have like just a little bit more.

I actually liked it more in a more recent viewing than when I first saw it (but by "more recent" we're probably talking about 4 to 6 years ago!).

It was much more mainstream than the original, throwing in things like the U.S. and Soviet tensions. One of the best scenes (forgive me on the details) is where the ship is accelerating and a young female Cosmonaut snuggles into a bunk with Roy Scheider because everybody on board is scared.
To this day I still think something is up with Europa!
i liked it more after a second viewing, it keeps the first movie atmosphere into this one, i personally liked it a lot i have to say.

there is definitely something up with europa, but we should further investigate.