Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

1st Rewatch...This beautifully mounted HBO documentary was produced by Wood's daughter, Natasha Gregson Wagner, who provides a detailed look at her mother's extraordinary life and career that came to a tragic end off the coast of Catalina in 1981. Needless to say, the most interesting part of the documentary is when Natasha and her stepdad, Robert Wagner, sit down and talk about what happened that night on that boat. Wagner appears open, but I still get the feeling he's hiding something. This film also features an interview with Natasha's bio father, Richard Gregson, Natalie's second husband, who was dying from Parkinson's at the times. For fans of the cinematic icon, appointment viewing.

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (Taylor's Version)

Arriving to streaming with the unwieldy title Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (Taylor's Version), the top filmed concert of 2023 is now about 40 minutes longer than it was in its theatrical incarnation, which means it's just 15 minutes shorter than Woodstock (1970), still the absolute best of all filmed concerts.

I'm neither a fan nor a hater, but I consider Taylor Swift to be possibly the most vanilla of all the top pop stars of the last half-century. Sure, she throws in a four-letter word here and there in her songs, but for the most part, she's not trying to be transgressive or edgy or provocative - like, say, Madonna in her heyday.

But she's undeniably massively popular, and her filmed concert more or less saved movie theaters when a lot of movies had to be postponed due to the dual strikes from last year.

I find her music occasionally catchy but mostly unremarkable; it is pleasant enough to have as background music while you're doing other stuff, but for me it is particularly unmemorable, with one or two possible exceptions.

The most entertaining part of the filmed concert (at least for me) was the rather comical look on the background performers that sing and dance along with Taylor on most of her songs - they seem to be having an absolute blast! And why wouldn't they? I guess if you're a background performer, this gig absolutely must be the best thing in the world.

1st Rewatch...This beautifully mounted HBO documentary was produced by Wood's daughter, Natasha Gregson Wagner, who provides a detailed look at her mother's extraordinary life and career that came to a tragic end off the coast of Catalina in 1981. Needless to say, the most interesting part of the documentary is when Natasha and her stepdad, Robert Wagner, sit down and talk about what happened that night on that boat. Wagner appears open, but I still get the feeling he's hiding something. This film also features an interview with Natasha's bio father, Richard Gregson, Natalie's second husband, who was dying from Parkinson's at the times. For fans of the cinematic icon, appointment viewing.
I’ve seen it twice. Loved it. Fave movie of hers is Bob & Alice …

Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (Taylor's Version)

Arriving to streaming with the unwieldy title Taylor Swift: The Eras Tour (Taylor's Version), the top filmed concert of 2023 is now about 40 minutes longer than it was in its theatrical incarnation, which means it's just 15 minutes shorter than Woodstock (1970), still the absolute best of all filmed concerts.

I'm neither a fan nor a hater, but I consider Taylor Swift to be possibly the most vanilla of all the top pop stars of the last half-century. Sure, she throws in a four-letter word here and there in her songs, but for the most part, she's not trying to be transgressive or edgy or provocative - like, say, Madonna in her heyday.

But she's undeniably massively popular, and her filmed concert more or less saved movie theaters when a lot of movies had to be postponed due to the dual strikes from last year.

I find her music occasionally catchy but mostly unremarkable; it is pleasant enough to have as background music while you're doing other stuff, but for me it is particularly unmemorable, with one or two possible exceptions.

The most entertaining part of the filmed concert (at least for me) was the rather comical look on the background performers that sing and dance along with Taylor on most of her songs - they seem to be having an absolute blast! And why wouldn't they? I guess if you're a background performer, this gig absolutely must be the best thing in the world.
I love the Woodstock documentary. Seen it many times. My fave documentary is the Last Waltz, which I’ve seen a million times. Swift’s songs to me are instantly forgettable. To save my life I couldn’t hum a single tune.

I paid for & watched the documentary. It was ok.

To save my life I couldn’t hum a single tune.
Not even the "shake shake shake" song?

Irish Wish (2024) A new Netflix rom com directed by Janeen Damian and starring Lindsay Lohan, Alexander Vlahos, and Ed Speleers. I liked the story, but the acting is mediocre. I think the three main characters are miscast. There are a couple fun scenes.

Was this in the documentary? Hate the song, but I love ballet.
I mean the song is in the filmed concert, but obviously with different choreography

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
The Good Boss (2021)

Directed by Fernando León de Aranoa
Starring: Javier Bardem

My second view.
First saw it two years ago because of its numerous nominations for variety of awards. Caught it this evening on the TV and enjoyed it again.
Nice comedy about a small factory owner who tries to balance into the variety of problems with his employees. Bardem is superb as always.
+
82/100

The American Society of Magical Negroes

This is a movie that wants to be both a charming rom-com and a biting social satire, and unfortunately ends up not being particularly good at either.
It's sad that Kobi Libii's directorial debut falls flat on both counts, because it's just possible that a more experienced director might have made it work - and that would have been a magical movie, indeed.
And it's a shame, because the movie is well-cast - and An-Li Bogan is a particular knockout as the love interest caught in an unlikely romantic triangle. The Taiwanese-Irish actor is making her big-screen debut here; based on what she's brought to the game, I am already looking forward to her next projects.

One Life - Wow, is this ever a rough movie to watch. It's not graphically violent but you clearly know what is happening to these people and it doesn't flinch. Anthony Hopkins is an actual person, Nicky Winton, Johnny Flynn is the young version of Winton, a stock broker visiting Czechoslovakia in 1938 as the nazis tighten the noose on people they don't want, mainly Jews. The actual person managed to manipulate the system to get some of the kids out of the country, into UK. The short version of the plot is that years later, a meeting is arranged in which old Winton, meets and is thanked by some of the 600+ survivors, now adults, that he rescued with his maneuver.

Everybody in the movie is quite good especially Hopkins. It was directed by James Hawes. Nothing in the movie is all that bloody, but most of the movie is set in a death camp and you know what will be happening to these people. The kids that are rescued will be orphaned.

Having grown up around some old folks who survived some parts of this horrifying history and seen the outcome of what happened to them, the lucky ones, nothing about this movie is easy. It left me appreciating the time and place I've lived in. Whatever bothers me, it's not THAT.

I forgot the opening line.

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=6123717

The Goonies - (1985)

Another in my recent line-up of popular movies I never got to see when I was a kid. You know, I never realised that Josh Brolin was one of the Goonies. I never really noticed him until Best Laid Plans in 1999, and he had to wait until 2007 before he broke through big time with several massive movies - No Country For Old Men, Grindhouse, In the Valley of Elah and American Gangster - from there on he had it made. For the likes of Corey Feldman it was the reverse - with his child star fame not translating into big film roles later in life. Ke Huy Quan has battled back from obscurity to win an Oscar. Sean Astin would go on to play Samwise Gamgee in the Lord of the Rings films - and has a decent career. A lot of talent in this film, big and small - and it makes for a nice action-packed kid's adventure movie with a hidden treasure we all just dream of finding. Or is the real treasure the friendship they all share? *dodges thrown beer can* - okay, okay. When Richard Donner, Chris Columbus and Steven Spielberg join forces you've got something on your hands - no matter how hard it is to understand 5 kids all yelling at the same time. Wish I'd seen it as a kid, because it's perfect for a certain age group.

7/10

By Copied from person or company owning the intellectual property goes here website, and intellectual property owned by person or company owning the intellectual property goes here., Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=12474863

Sukiyaki Western Django - (2007)

I remember really liking this the first time I saw it. For some reason I couldn't for the life of me really get into the crazy tone Sukiyaki Western Django strikes - nearly freeform madness from most of the characters in this Japanese Western where two rival clans fight a war in a town that's the supposed location of riches. Every scene has actors exhibiting exaggerated flair to an extreme, and I guess I simply wasn't in the mood for such a strange, silly creation from Takashi Miike - a filmmaker whose films I mostly like. Quentin Tarantino plays the only main character who is not Japanese, joining in the bizarre way every part is played. I once liked it - I guess it's possible I might like it again one day.

5/10

By https://boxofficeturkiye.com/film/kis-uykusu--2012274, Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=65749514

Winter Sleep - (2014)

Aydın (Haluk Bilginer) presents us with an ethical dilemma when he proves to be a man who does good only so he can laud his moral supremacy over others in this excellent Palme d'Or-winning Turkish film. Review here on my watchlist thread.

8/10

Fair use, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?curid=7850427

Seven Days in May - (1964)

General James Mattoon Scott (Burt Lancaster) plans to overthrow the President of the United States and install a military dictatorship - it's up to Colonel Martin "Jiggs" Casey (Kirk Douglas) and a few good men to stop him in this pulsing political thriller - great stuff. Review here, on my watchlist thread.

8/10

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

That's some bad hat, Harry.
Sweet Sixteen (2002)

4/5

Going through a Ken Loach period of film-watching at the moment after seeing his reportedly final film, The Old Oak, recently. The colloquial dialogue in this one set in Glasgow required me to watch with the English subtitles on. It felt wrong - given it's in English and that's my first language - but I was missing too much of the dialogue without them.

A sombre, unsentimental and moving drama.