Who of today's actors is the best example of the "strong but silent"

Tools    

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
Jeremy Irons to me.

I had 5 Swatches on my arm…
Gosling was the guy I had in mind when I saw this thread. Drive and Ides of March come to mind. As much as I root for Refn, I can't give him that much credit.

Hardy is another good example. His performance in Locke was perfect.

In an interview he said....

I try to eliminate words as much as possible. There is a tendency to underestimate the power of what we can do without words. Sometimes you can make a scene even more powerful and precise without dialogue.

archetype?

I was thinking about this. There's a sort of cool confidence to guys like Harrison Ford, Gary Cooper, Clint Eastwood, and Bruce Willis that's missing in today's movies. I googled "modern strong but silent actors" and Tom Hardy came out a few times, but he feels more like a pitbull type to me - maybe that's cause of Bronson, but whatever. Is there anyone out there who's maybe not 70 who still makes a living acting this way?
Mikael Persbrandt, hands down.

I think Tom Hardy fits the role. Because in the last few years his roles have been like this.

I think Tom Hardy fits the role. Because in the last few years his roles have been like this.
I was just gonna post Tom Hardy Mickey Rourke and Michael Madsen are strong silent types too.

I don't know why but Gosling is the first person I thought of when I saw the title of this thread too.
Same here, actually.