MoFo Musical Outreach

Tools    

A novel adaptation.
Well, I guess I won't be paired up with Nikki or Gracie then...

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Yeah, not a big fan of Linkin Park myself, no matter how many people tell me I should be....

Anyways, I'm starting to make a tape right now of my favorite songs, it's really eclectic and funny. So is this thing seriously gonna happen? Anyone who wants to get this started and has a tape, PM me and I'll swap tapes with whoever...

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Hey. Just thought of reviving this thread. It was such a cool Idea that just died. I ended up trading tapes with Linespalsy, who has weird (in a GOOD way) tastes, he got me into Tom Waits, and a cool time was had by all. anyone else up for this? It's too interesting to hear what other MoFo's listen to.

I wish I had found this earlier b/c this is a really awesome idea.

Monkeypunch's Tom Waits thread just reminded me of this thread so I'm bumping it up again.

I'm not sure if anyone other than Monkeypunch and I ever ended up swaping mixes but it was a great idea that just never seemed to get organized enough for a lot of people to participate. So what happened to it?

Well I for one would be interested in starting it up again, so if anyone else wants in I guess post here and start making a mix tape or cd; I already have a few sitting around that I'd be willing to part with if anyone's interested.

What ever happened to that mix you started making, Herod?

Originally Posted by linespalsy
Monkeypunch's Tom Waits thread just reminded me of this thread so I'm bumping it up again.

I'm not sure if anyone other than Monkeypunch and I ever ended up swaping mixes but it was a great idea that just never seemed to get organized enough for a lot of people to participate. So what happened to it?

Well I for one would be interested in starting it up again, so if anyone else wants in I guess post here and start making a mix tape or cd; I already have a few sitting around that I'd be willing to part with if anyone's interested.

What ever happened to that mix you started making, Herod?
Hey, I am SO in again! Seriously, everyone needs to get involved in this! Its a good way to find new music!

If you guys can get this going, then I'll join in.

And this is my BOOMstick!
No way am I posting my address on the internet.

And wtf is this?

Originally Posted by Nitzer
No way am I posting my address on the internet.
I'm assuming it would be done via PM or email.

Huh, guess we failed to get it going again. last time this thread was resurrected though did inspire me to make a couple of interesting mix tapes, which I've now grown sick of playing in my car.

If anyone wants to set up a trade contact me via p.m.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I'm down, though I recently lost all of my music so I'm pretty broke with some trade currency right now, so anything I'd send out wouldn't be top notch. :'(

Man...I'd be mixing some old news and that's it. So, it's not something anybody would want from me.
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

I must become Caligari..!
Wow, Only just saw this thread, what a great idea, i love it... When i get home (Where all my music is, I'am willing to send a tape)...
It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours
Ive got an idea for this musical outreach program (which seems pretty non existent at the mo'

Why dont mofos share email addresses and do what me and my friends do, we go on msn at the same time, pick a random song from our playlists and send it to each other.

I would download my own stuff but my momma has banned downloading programs cuz we got about a bazillion virus last time we did.

I'm totally in. It's so weird that this got resurrected, because I've been discussing mix tape theory with a friend and just finished one the other day.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
I have been working on a tape that I would gladly give away, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable giving out my address and stuff over the internet.

I got for good luck my black tooth.
Originally Posted by Yoda
I'm totally in. It's so weird that this got resurrected, because I've been discussing mix tape theory with a friend and just finished one the other day.
double post sry...oh well. What are your oppinions on mixtape theory Yoda? Do you have any rules you follow for each tape?

Originally Posted by Strummer521
double post sry...oh well. What are your oppinions on mixtape theory Yoda? Do you have any rules you follow for each tape?
I do, but very few are set in stone. Remember Charlie Kaufman near the end of Adaptation, where he says "wait, McKee said no voiceovers...screw it, it feels right." That's how I feel; there are rules, but they're not totally rigid. You've gotta feel it out, ultimately. The rules are just there to help you do so.

High Fidelity has some good guidelines; first and foremost, you have to start off strong. No ballads at the beginning. Something upbeat that grabs the listener's attention. After that, it's suggested that you "take it up a notch," but I'm not sure I agree with that. You've gotta cool down again at some point, but I think it's just as good to do so with the second song as it is with the third.

Transition has to be considered, too; some songs just don't sound good next to each other. If one song fades out and another fades in in similar ways, why not put them together? Also, I think most agree that you probably shouldn't be bouncing from fast to slow too recklessly; better to group upbeat songs together somewhat, and put the slower ones next to each other, too (and probably toward the end of the tape/disc).

There are exceptions, though; some songs are so frantic, or abrupt in how they begin that the contrast can be kind of interesting when you put them next to something slower. The Hives' Two-Timing Touch And Broken Bones is a perfect example of this, and it's short, too, so that it can sort of act as an interlude between two slower songs.

Other than that, you generally don't want more than one song by the same group, with some exceptions. I just finished a tape the other day, for example, that has two songs from The Shins on it, but they're from different albums and sound different enough that someone who hadn't heard them before probably wouldn't recognize them as the same group.

Ultimately I think the most important thing to consider is why you're making the tape. Is it to send someone a message? Is it to show them what you like? Is it to try to introduce them to things they might like? If you're trying to show them something new, then you have to take their level of knowledge into account. I have a friend who works at a record store, for example, and if I were to make her a tape I'd probably steer clear of anything even remotely mainstream.

So I think the most important part is deciding what your goal is with the tape. Bonus points for grouping songs with similar titles or meanings. It can be frustrating to try to put together something that's both nice to listen to, and meaningful in some way, but it's pretty satisfying to finish something that works on multiple levels.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
Man, foo, there shouldn't be a theory to creating a mix tape, it's all instinct - and you don't theorize instinct!!

"Mix Tape" by Brand New

I got a twenty-dollar bill that says no one's ever seen you without makeup.
You're always made up.
And I'm sick of your tattoos,
and the way you always criticize the Smiths... and Morrissey.
And I know that you're a sucker for anything acoustic.
But when I say let's keep in touch,
I really mean I wish that you'd grow up.
This is the first song for your mixtape.
It's short just like your temper,
but somewhat golden like the afternoons we used to spend before you got to cool...

I got a twenty-dollar bill that says no one's ever seen you without makeup.
You're always made up.
And I'm sick of your tattoos, and the way you don't appreciate Brand New or me
And I know that you're a sucker for anything acoustic.
But when I say let's keep in touch,
I hope you know I mean I wish that you'd grow up.
This is the first song for your mixtape.
It's short just like your temper,
but somewhat golden like the afternoons we used to spend before you got too cool...

(yeah, but I wish you were my shadow.) [repeat]

A system of cells interlinked
Hold on a second here.... tape? As in linear analog recording media?

Who is still listening to music on this medium? Time to crawl out of the cave, people. I don't know, I have officially banned such pieces of media and the devices they are played in from my house and cars. But hey, some may still find rewinding fun.

Can we do...mix CDs?