please rate my collection and give me some recommendations

Tools    

http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection...name=whoopdido

Here's my collection. I know it's pretty small compared to most of you and it's pretty standard Hollywood stuff, but I'm looking to branch out. I was hoping some of you could give me some recommendations on what dvds I should pick up either based on what I have already or just some plain old good movies that you guys like. Like I said, most of my stuff is pretty standard, but I'm definitely willing to branch out (Criterion stuff). So, if anybody had some suggestions on what I don't have but should pick up would be great. Thanks a lot.

Well, I don't know you, but I can't see why every DVD libarary shouldn't have Casablanca, Chinatown, Lawrence of Arabia, Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb, Paths of Glory, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Taxi Driver, Once Upon A Time on the West, The Godfather, The Godfather Part II, Amadeus, Amelie, "Lonesome Dove", Do the Right Thing, BladeRunner, Brazil, His Girl Friday, Rashomon, Raiders of the Lost Ark, The Man Who Would Be King, Cool Hand Luke and so on, and so on, and so on.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by whoopdido
http://www.guzzlefish.com/collection...name=whoopdido

Here's my collection. I know it's pretty small compared to most of you and it's pretty standard Hollywood stuff, but I'm looking to branch out. I was hoping some of you could give me some recommendations on what dvds I should pick up either based on what I have already or just some plain old good movies that you guys like. Like I said, most of my stuff is pretty standard, but I'm definitely willing to branch out (Criterion stuff). So, if anybody had some suggestions on what I don't have but should pick up would be great. Thanks a lot.
Anyone with Office Space AND Unbreakable has to get at least a 7/10 from me

To get a 9, get some of the films Holden mentioned, as they are all great classics (Chinatown is a MUST for any collection!!) that can be watched over and over again.

Yeah I probably should pick up the so-called classics. I must admit that up until now I haven't had much interest in "older" movies. Since I'm such a young whipper-snapper I'm considering anything pre 1970 as old, but like I said, I'm trying to branch out a little bit, so those are definite possibilities. And by the way Holden, you mentioned the Godfather and Raiders of the Lost Arc--I do own the Godfather trilogy and the Indiana Jones trilogy, but for some reason the Indy movies got taken off the Guzzlefish database. Guzzlefish kinda sucks if you ask me. Anyway, thanks for the opinions so far.

They aren't "so-called classics", they ARE actual, honest to goodness, bonafide, grade-A classics. And yes, you should start acquiring and appreciating them as soon as possible.

Yeah I probably should pick up the so-called classics. I must admit that up until now I haven't had much interest in "older" movies. Since I'm such a young whipper-snapper I'm considering anything pre 1970 as old, but like I said, I'm trying to branch out a little bit, so those are definite possibilities. And by the way Holden, you mentioned the Godfather and Raiders of the Lost Arc--I do own the Godfather trilogy and the Indiana Jones trilogy, but for some reason the Indy movies got taken off the Guzzlefish database. Guzzlefish kinda sucks if you ask me. Anyway, thanks for the opinions so far.
Just how old are you? I'm also a "young whipper-snapper".

I'm 23 and yeah I know they ARE classics. I was just pointing out that people have varying opinons on what a classic is, but, yes, most of the films you mentioned are widely regarded as classics. How bout some newer recommendations. Thanks all.

Cyberdine Systems Model 101
I'm 23 and yeah I know they ARE classics. I was just pointing out that people have varying opinons on what a classic is, but, yes, most of the films you mentioned are widely regarded as classics. How bout some newer recommendations. Thanks all.
You should get The Godfather series, Scarface, Lawrence of Arabia, The Great Escape, films that are well known by oldies. Next time you go to your video store, check the Classics section and there you will find good movies that should be owned.

An American In Paris ****/*****
Once Upon A Time In China *****/*****
Father of the Bride ****/*****
Spartacus *****/*****
The Hidden Fortress ****/*****

You can view my review for each of those films at T-850's Reviews

So, you feel possibly you're not quite ready for Casablanca and Lawrence of Arabia yet? Even though you suspect you probably should be. OK, fine, up to you, Grasshopper.

Here are some "newer" recommendations to go along with what's already in your collection: you've got Crossroads, now add Glitter (2001) and Gigli (2003)! A Perfect Murder floats your boat, try Psycho - of course I'm referring to the 1998 nearly-shot-for-shot re-make, not the old Hitchcock so-called classic (ewwww, it's in black & white!). Crimson Tide should logically lead you to the joys of the uproarious Down Periscope (1996)! If the Bedazzled re-make with Brendan Fraser made you chuckle, you'll positively pee yourself watching Monkeybone (2001). And if you had your socks blown off from the FX-laden adreniline and then teared-up at the heart-tugging ending of Titanic and Armageddon, you'll need to own Waterworld (1995) and Volcano (1997) as soon as humanly possible! And owning Eddie Murphy's Dr. Doolittle 2 and not Eddie Murphy's Dr. Doolittle is an oversight I assume you'll correct immediately (how were you even able to follow the plot of 2 without having the first movie to reference?).

Enjoy.

Wow Holden thanks for the advice--that really helped a lot. Oh wait, you didn't advise me--you simply took the time to demean me and my choices in movies. Ever stop to think that I own some of those movies for my own personal reasons? Besides, I'm willing to bet that you have some titles in your collection that you're not too proud of. My question was very simple. All I wanted was to hear from some forum members what they felt my collection needed and what some of their favorite movies were that I didn't have. I asked for some newer recommendations because up until now I hadn't gotten into older movies, but maybe I will. I know I'm just a newbie and you have a whopping 4,414 posts, but you come off as a pompous, demeaning jackass. I'm truly sorry that I'm not quite the movie connoisseur you are, but that's why I was hoping to get some responses from people that know a little bit more about film. Thanks pal.

I am having a nervous breakdance
Judging from your taste in movies, Whoppi, I think you would like films like American Graffiti (1973) by George Lucas, Dazed and Confused (1993) by Richard Linklater, The Killing (1956) by Stanley Kubrick, The Adventures of Ford Fairlane (1990) by Renny Harlin, Raging Bull (1980) by Martin Scorsese, Apocalypse Now (1979) by Francis Ford Coppola, Alien (1979) by Ridley Scott, Aliens (1986) by James Cameron, Alien3 (1992) by David Fincher, Alien: Resurrection (1997) by Jean-Pierre Jeunet, The Thin Red Line (1998) by Terrence Malick, Tigerland (2000) by Joel Schumacher, Full Metal Jacket (1987) by Stanley Kubrick, Blazing Saddles (1974) by Mel Brooks, Spaceballs (1987) by Mel Brooks and True Romance (1993) by Tony Scott.

Just to name a few.

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

Thanks Pidd. I've seen most of those, but don't have any of them on dvd. Sounds like some good choices there.

Hey there,

Some of my favs are...

Blade Runner (1982) Sci-fi noir
Donnie Darko (2000)
12 Monkeys (1995)
Mulholland Drive (2000) watch it twice or you will be confused.

These are my current high-rotation in the player favorites.

Enjoy

Cheers

Swashbuckler Extraordinaire
It can't hurt to add in Seven Samurai, Boondock Saints, Bullet in the Head, or...

I can't remember your list but you need at least two of the three movies in the Evil Dead Trilogy.

-When in doubt, Kill it

Originally Posted by CujoLink
I can't remember your list but you need at least two of the three movies in the Evil Dead Trilogy.

I recommend ED2 and Army of Darkness, as ED2 is really just a redux of ED1. The production design is better on 2. Army of Darkness is a film I can watch endlessly it seems. I love Raimi's stuff.

Hi
Oh my, seeing as you own Tarantino's 3, you definately need the collector's edition of True Romance and the signature collecter series or whatever of From Dusk til Dawn. If not for the movies, then for Tarantino's only two commentaries.