Movies: Art vs. Entertaiment

Tools    

Which is more important to you when choosing what movies to watch?
Also, which flicks do you think acheive both?

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
I made a topic like this at IMDB, and everyone said they choose movies with both....but it all depends on the mood your in.

Suspect's Reviews

yes it depends but for me art is absolutely more important

the reality is that probably 95% of box office revenues come from people who want to see movies for entertainment, so thats more important. An Artsy movie is good too, but the intention is most likley not to make 400 million at the box office, but to send a message or win an award. The most important aspect of a movie though isn't art or entertainment, it's a good story. Movies that can acheieve all 3 of these are always the best.

The Adventure Starts Here!
I tend to know going in to a movie whether I'm going in for entertainment value (Anchorman, etc.) or if I'm going for the artsiness of it (beauty, cinematography, writing, acting, etc.).

I was thinking that maybe I tended to re-watch or buy the artsier ones because they have more lasting appeal, but that's not entirely true. There are some damned silly movies out there that I can re-watch repeatedly and have bought. I suppose the best of these are indeed artistic in their own way, such as Raising Arizona (great writing, pacing), Young Frankenstein or Blazing Saddles (classic humor and writing, etc.).

My tastes are more scattered than I first realized.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
I'd say art is more important to me, because if a film is artless, I get distracted thinking how I'd want to change it. But I don't think a film has to be esoteric to be art. Ever After is one of my favorites and it's hardly high-brow... but it's beautifully done.

99 times out of 100 it's for pure entertainment. Every once in awhile I'll enjoy the occassional drama but that's not my genre.

The People's Republic of Clogher
As Susan says: Art is good entertainment and good entertainment is art. I've never differentiated and hope I never will. The road to Pseudom and Begorrah awaits...

Some good thought thanks. The reason why I ask is because whenever I come across a thread about the best/worst movies ever I've noticed the same flicks on both lists. Some of my favorite flicks often end up on the worst list and I'm left wondering why? Was it because they lacked any "art" quality to them? I agree that I usually end up buying artier flick on DVD but I never underestimate a good junky action flick.