Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Whisper of the Heart (1995)

I feel like I was just totally enchanted by a movie aimed at young girls. It just has such a nice story, done so well, and with superb animation. The characters are all so very likable and I loved the cat too.
There's a cat in it.? Say no more, I must watch.

Serpico
(You gotta love Pacino repping the claus-beard in police uniform, overlong but enjoyable. Prince Of The City was marginally better I felt.)

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Sin City: A Dame to Kill for (2014)

The visual effects and the cinematography are even better than the first one but the story line and writing are not even half as good! The story with Gordon-Levit is good but the rest is plain boring... The acting is good though!

6/10

Diebuster (2004-2006)

A 2004 6 episode OVA edited into a 190 minutes film in 2006. Hence counts as a possible movie for the animation countdown. Second movie I watched over the past 60 days besides strange days. Extremely aggressive military science fiction action adventure anime, ideal for the 16 year old inside me though some action scenes were a tad bit too silly for me. Still the whole thing was "magic", for lack of a better word and kept me as entertained as it gets.

Not as good as the 1988 classic, which is among my top 15 animated films/OVAs.

I can not believe you dont like the first one... the ending was the best!!
The Sequel completely rock .

St. Vincent (2014)

I haven't teared up watching a movie in a long time. And to my surprise, my eyes let out a few drops while watching St. Vincent today.

The movie mixes comedy with sentimental drama very well. And out of all the characters that Bill Murray has played over the years in which the character is a near replica of his real-life self (Dr. Peter Venkman from Ghostbusters and Phil Connors from Groundhog Day come to mind), Vincent MacKenna is in my opinion the closest Murray has gotten at playing himself in a movie. Vincent is a broke, cynical, grouchy, old Vietnam Veteran who spends his whole day drinking at a local bar, gambling at the racetracks, owing money to a pregnant Russian "lady of the night", played by Naomi Watts in what is possibly her first against-type role, and a bookie, played by Terrence Howard, and running into his fence by backing his car into the driveway. But underneath all his ugliness and misfortune is a man with a heart of gold. Things start to turn around for him when he agrees to "babysit" his new neighbor Maggie's (played by a surprisingly low-key Melissa McCarthy) 12 year old son Oliver, played brilliantly by newcomer Jaeden Lieberher, who is having trouble coping with his parents' recent divorce and fitting into his new private school.

The movie has many funny and touching moments, and it's Murray who will keep you mesmerized. The scenes where he and the boy are running to his car with a bag full of money, or where he is tossing curse words and insults at a group of pre-teen bullies, dancing to Jefferson Airplane's Somebody to Love, or , the best part, carrying a Walkman and singing along to Bob Dylan's Shelter from the Storm during the film's closing credits while messing around with a hose gushing water might be weird and bizarre, but you can't look away. I have no doubt Murray will earn an Oscar nomination for his performance. McCarthy and Lieberher deserve Supporting Actress and Actor nominations as well.

I saw the Man of Thai Chi, and since I am a big martial arts fan, i really enjoyed the movie, cause it makes a martial art like Thai chi that is all about balance and be in peace with myself act like an also agressive martial art. And the fight that the main character has with his innerself is great, the fight that is inside of everyone, "should i or shouldn´t I?" I recommend this movie to everyone, it is about fight but the message goes far beyond that...

Actually, I change my mind, I absolutely hated Shrek 2. The whole film reaked of early 2000's.
Going from 8.5 to hating it is a big step. And considering Shrek 2 is from early 2000's I think that's exactly what it should've been like. They gave the typical fairytale a different point of view and it's what they aimed for.

But yeah, your opinion.

Caught the last 30 minutes of The Dark Knight Rises on tv earlier, and I saw enough to rate the deaths of Bane and Marion Cotillard

Bane's death
(-100/10)
Marion Cotillard's acting at her death scene
(-200/10)

^ Coming from her, that was really surprising to see such a cringe worthy death. Yuck. Or she did better in other shots but they decided to go with that one...

The Babadook.

Defiantly the weaker of the two horror films in recent memory using a supernatural metaphor for real tragedy and/or psychological issues. I prefer Oculus which was much tighter edited and cleverly scripted. This had its moments but they didn't hold on to the idea strong enough imo, and it became a bit fuzzy and misguided.

But I did have fun with it at times, and certain elements were really good. I kind of hated the boy's peformance though.

Make a better place
I saw the Man of Thai Chi, and since I am a big martial arts fan, i really enjoyed the movie, cause it makes a martial art like Thai chi that is all about balance and be in peace with myself act like an also agressive martial art. And the fight that the main character has with his innerself is great, the fight that is inside of everyone, "should i or shouldn´t I?" I recommend this movie to everyone, it is about fight but the message goes far beyond that...
a very good movie, but sadly underrated

an excellent Keanue Reeves directing Debut

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name

B+/A-

The first 30 minutes or so is something of a marvel in that it seems to occupy a place between documentary and movie: it's like eavesdropping on people's real lives. But as time went on the narrative, dialogue and even acting--the lead mostly--became synthetic and forced enough to push it back into the realm of Hollywood drama; I even lost interest at times.

It's plain why so many people went gaga over this movie but I think it's not without it's problems. As Rebecca Mead explains in her take-down essay about art and "relatability": That “Boyhood” has been almost universally hailed as a masterpiece, despite the banality of its plot and the cliché nature of much of its characterization, is due, in part, to the irresistible emotional power that lies in the harnessing of the passage of time, a passage that takes its toll upon all of us. The movie is the apotheosis of relatability."

SOS - Summer of Sam

I remember watching this movie when I was young and being confused. Watching it now I do understand the plot but it seemed like it was everywhere and nowhere as the same time. The acting was ok the only person that stood out to me was Adrian Brody's character, the rest I really didn't care if they ended up in the morgue. I am not sure why Spike Lee did this film other than it being a story about New York.

2.5/5 Stars

Not what I was expecting in a good way. Douglas was very good. Looked great on Netflix as well. Kubrick's war stuff has been my favorite things I have watched of his by a mile. He has a real knack for pointing out the absurdity of war without feeling preachy.