Oscar's Best Actress 2022

Tools    

Which will be Oscar's next Best Actress?
33.33%
5 votes
Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
6.67%
1 votes
Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter
6.67%
1 votes
Penélope Cruz, Parallel Mothers
0%
0 votes
Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos
53.33%
8 votes
Kristen Stewart, Spencer
15 votes. You may not vote on this poll

The five performances nominated are...

Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter
Penélope Cruz, Parallel Mothers
Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos
Kristen Stewart, Spencer
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

This is a tough one to predict. You could make a case for Kidman, Stewart, or Colman to win or to lose. They have all missed out on nominations at other awards group. I was really surprised Lady Gaga didn't get nominated. Stewart would be my personal pick.

Very strong category l. Really hope Stewart gets some love, what an amazing movie. Haven’t seen the Almodovar yet.

Society ennobler, last seen in Medici's Florence
So far, I've seen only Kristen Stewart in Spencer.
Good performance, deserves nomination but I don't think it is for winner.

I'm actually in Ravenclaw
No Lady Gaga? Wait, what?

Gaga was snubbed. She is the winner of this category, because all the nominees are boring. For the sake of voting, I choose Chastain, but I don't really care.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Personally I found Gaga's over-the-top work in The House of Gucci only slightly less embarrassing than Jared Leto's and Pacino's, and I am thankful none of it was highlighted by the Academy. Different strokes and all. Does-a any a-body have-a an award for best Chico Marx inspired work? If so, this gang is gonna absolutely clean up.

I don't know, why a duck?

Gaga was snubbed. She is the winner of this category, because all the nominees are boring. For the sake of voting, I choose Chastain, but I don't really care.

I would have nominated GaGa over Kidman.

I've only seen three of the nominees, but out of the nominees, I would go with Chastain as well.

I'm actually in Ravenclaw
Just saw The Eyes of Tammy Faye. I'll wait until I see the other four, but my God, Chastain is amazing. Wow, like really, wow!

OK, I have now seen all five Best Actress nominees (I don't know why, but this is always the category that I see all of the nominees first). I really liked Cruz in Parallel Mothers, but I don't see her a contender in this race. I think it's going to be either Chastain or Stewart, but I can't pick a winner.

If I had a vote it would go to Cruz. Personally I don't think any of these are actually "worthy" winners. And the more films I've been watching the less impressed I've been with this field. Some of the great performances I saw this year were..

Alana Haim, Licorice Pizza
Emilia Jones, CODA
Lady Gaga, House of Gucci
Jodie Comer, The Last Duel
Rachel Zegler, West Side Story
Tessa Thompson, Passing
Rebecca Hall, The Night House

This category features three previous Oscar winners but I suspect the Academy is going for new blood this time.

Nicole Kidman's nod for Being the Ricardos is her fifth acting nomination. Three of the previous four were as Best Actress: Moulin Rouge!, The Hours, and Rabbit Hole. Her other nom was for Lion in the Supporting category. She won as Virginia Woolf in The Hours. Her performance as Lucille Ball is the best thing about this movie. Had she not won before I'd say the sentiment to get her an Oscar coupled with the good performance would make her the favorite. But this is a case where I think already having an Oscar at home lessens her chances of getting another.

If you weren’t a fan of 2000s British television Olivia Colman may have seemed to have come out of nowhere. She now has three Oscar nominations in the past four years! Last year it was for The Father and she won Best Actress for her pitiful Queen Anne in The Favourite. She is very strong in The Lost Daughter, as always, but having “just” won recently I don’t suspect it is the kind of work that will net her a second already. Though clearly the Academy has noticed her and adores her. She will no doubt be nominated again in the future and have other chances to double up on Oscar. As a trivia note, Olivia Colman and Jessie Buckley are both nominated for playing the same character in the same movie at different ages. This has happened before when Judi Dench and Kate Winslet both received nominations for playing Iris Murdoch. Neither won, Dench as Best Actress and Winslet in Supporting.

Penélope Cruz is also a former winner and Parallel Mothers is her fourth nomination, her second as the lead in an Almodóvar film following Volver, which was the year Helen Mirren won as The Queen. Her other pair of noms came in Supporting Actress for Rob Marshall’s Nine and Woody Allen’s Vicky Christina Barcelona. She won her Oscar for Woody’s flick. As one of Pedro Almodóvar’s muses it would be fitting for her to win for one of his movies. And she may…some day. But it won’t be for Parallel Mothers. Of course she is terrific, but as another handicap only two women have ever won Best Actress for performances in non-English speaking roles. The first was Sophia Loren for Two Women and the second Maron Cotillard for La Vie en Rose. Cruz probably won’t join them this year.

In a year with former Oscar winners on the ballot sometimes they vote for somebody who hasn’t gotten one yet. If that is the case it is coming down to Chastain or Stewart.

Kristen Stewart is enjoying her first Oscar nomination for playing Princess Diana in Spencer. Stewart will turn thirty-two in April but has already been in front of cameras for over twenty years. Her first big role was opposite Jodie Foster in Fincher’s Panic Room when she was only twelve. Of course she became über-famous when she was cast as Bella Swan in the Twilight series. She was hunted by paparazzi and hopefully cashed some fat checks, but while that phenomenon was unfolding she was also trying to establish herself in more serious fare like Adventureland and playing Joan Jett in The Runaways. That Twilight image is hard to shake, but as she headed towards thirty she started getting good to great notices and arthouse cred for her work with Olivier Assayas in The Clouds of Sils Maria and Personal Shopper and for playing Jean Seberg. That biopic was not very good, but Pablo Larraín’s Spencer is a much better showcase. It is a similar expressionistic style and filmmaking approach that got Natalie Portman her nomination for playing Jackie Kennedy (when Emma Stone won for La La Land).

The Eyes of Tammy Faye is already Jessica Chastain’s third Oscar nom, following a Supporting Actress nod for The Help (her co-star Octavia Spencer won) and a previous Best Actress for Zero Dark Thirty (Jennifer Lawrence’s year for Silver Linings Playbook). On a technical level Chastain’s physical transformation into the infamous televangelist is pretty gosh darn remarkable. Then the emotional journey the character goes on from wide-eyed innocent to the heavily made-up TV star to the excess and becoming embroiled in her husband’s schemes to finding redemption on the other side is an actor’s dream.

This is Spencer’s only Oscar nomination and the only other category The Eyes of Tammy Faye is competing in is for Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling. While it may seem counterintuitive, not having a mountain of complementary nominations is not necessarily a hinderance, especially in this category. Just in this century winners for Best Actress as the only or only major nomination for the film include Renée Zellweger for Judy, Julianne Moore for Still Alice, Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady, Sandra Bullock for The Blind Side, Marion Cotillard for La Vie en Rose, and Charlize Theron for Monster. I am betting either Stewart or Chastain will join their ranks.

As for which one, I think it’s gotta be Chastain. It’s a more flamboyant role, the Academy clearly likes Jessica, and when it comes right down to it all things being equal, sometimes they pick the person who in real life and in a televised acceptance speech is more likeable and vibrant. That is Chastain, all over. Monosyllabic mumbling through interviews and not wanting your picture taken is absolutely fine for an artist but sometimes it hurts you when you're competing for awards and working the media and Oscar luncheon circuit.

On the other hand, many of us think everyone, including Gaga, was laughably awful in House of Gucci and should only be competing for Razzies.

Audition reel for House of Gucci...