Skepsis' Top 50

→ in
Tools    

I have got to see Se7en.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Kick Ass, Seven and Let the Right One in are all outstanding pics.

#38: 12 Angry Men (Sidney Lumet, 1957)

I'm sure most of you know by now how good 12 Angry Men is. Without 12 outstanding performances, the film would have fallen flat on its face but, thankfully, they were there and we have an engrossing drama that still holds up to this day.

#37: Hard Candy (David Slade, 2005)

The first appearance of one of my favourite actresses. Polarizing as this film is, it never ceases to go to every possible extreme and I love it for that. Page and Wilson's performances drive the backwards cat-and-mouse story with the hunted becoming the hunter in a compelling, thrilling and controversial fashion.

#36: School of Rock (Richard Linklater, 2003)

Another one probably considered a guilty pleasure but I don't feel too guilty at all, to be honest. School of Rock is buckets of fun with a hilarious central turn from Jack Black (his best performance), great support from the kids and an awesome soundtrack.

#35: Little Miss Sunshine (Jonathan Dayton & Valerie Faris, 2006)

Funny, moving, quirky and most importantly a highly satisfying f**k you to the disgusting world of kids beauty pageants. Everyone gives excellent performances: Alan Arkin fully deserved his Oscar, Abigail Breslin is incredible as Olive and Paul Dano is brilliant despite not having any lines for a large chunk of the film.

#34: Pan's Labyrinth (Guillermo del Toro, 2006)

A violent fantasy aimed at an adult audience, Pan's Labyrinth takes you and plants you firmly into a dark and twisted world. Extremely tense, beautifully acted and with some shocking scenes, it's up there with the very best the Fantasy genre has to offer.

#33: Fight Club (David Fincher, 1999)

Edward Norton and Brad Pitt are both at their very best in Fight Club and it's these turns and the awesome visuals that make this one stand out for me. The twist is unexpected and great, and I'm sure I don't need to explain to you lot how great it is.

Thanks nebb.

Fight Club? YES.
Pan's Labyrinth? YES.

Little Miss Sunshine? EHH.

Still, + rep for you
Ah, not a fan? Those quirky indie comedies are always polarizing.

Great photo choice for Pan's Labyrinth. Such a great film.
Thanks. It's awesome and I love that shot too.

School of Rock is in my list too....Keep them coming...
Will do.

#32: Finding Nemo (Andrew Stanton & Lee Unkrich, 2003)

Pixar's best film. Technically, magnificent with some of the finest animation I've ever seen. Creatively, wonderful with an original story pulled off with skill, style and humor.

#31: Forrest Gump (Robert Zemeckis, 1994)

A subdued yet epic rollercoaster of a film, taking us through a lifetime of one amazing man, played so perfectly by Tom Hanks. Clever, funny and touching - a remarkable piece of cinema.

#30: Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino, 1994)

Supremely entertaining, edgy, violent. Tarantino's career-defining film. Jackson and Travolta's best work in my opinion.

#29: Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)

Psychological Thriller, Surrealist Drama, Mystery, whatever you want to call it: Mulholland Drive is incredibly unnerving in the best way possible. The film embodies a chilling atmosphere from start to finish. That ever-present sense of foreboding, unexplainable as it is, makes the experience highly unsettling and the performances of Naomi Watts and Laura Harring in the centre of this nightmare compliment it on every level.

#28: Donnie Darko (Richard Kelly, 2001)

A true cult classic, Donnie Darko is just an amazing experience. It's a bona fide blend of genres, with elements of dark comedy, family drama with, of course, an intense, highly creepy, mind-bending mystery at the forefront. Gyllenhaal's performance is one of incredible diversity, showing an entire spectrum of emotions comprised at various times of simple teen angst, to deep psychological trauma.

#27: An American Crime (Tommy O'Haver, 2007)

A film I think is absolutely incredible that I have no desire to ever see again. The combination of the true story, dramatised from a court case from 1950s Indiana (not that it needed much dramatising), the taut and deeply emotional performances of Ellen Page and Catherine Keener, and the heartbreaking fashion in which the ending is told hit me on a level on which I swear I've never been hit before or since. It's a monstrously difficult watch, but an essential one.