The Videogames Tab

Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
At say £40 quid a pop that's £2.6 billion pounds or pretty much $4 Billion. Fairly awesome, and it wasn't even that great imo, played through once and haven't touched it since. Don't think I'll be bothering with GTA 6.

Witcher 3 was the best game last year, with Fallout 4 close behind.
Factoring in sales and regional pricing models you could probably cut that figure by a billion dollars or so, which sounds crazy as it's still an astronomical amount of money.

It's possible it might not be for you depending on what reaches the level of "overly" tactical. But I'm pretty "meh" on really deep strategy games, and I love it, so I think there's a good chance it'll strike that sweet spot for you.
Basically it's anything that involves strategically moving around a large grid-based battlefield (Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem), which from what I can tell is the core mechanic to Banner Saga. Oddly I really like Civilization, but I really can't explain that.

The choices and consequences aspect of the game does really appeal to me (especially if they have a real impact on the game, unlike the illusion of choice you're given in Telltale games), but I've heard that the combat (which is already not my style) is also really difficult. But it's temping because...it's really, really pretty. Perhaps I'm shallower than I thought? haha

Yeah, lots of actual consequences to the choices. The battlefield here is pretty small, too, for what it's worth. And yes, it's gorgeous.

Actually, if you find a video walkthrough and just watch the opening for a few minutes, I think you'll be able to decide. I was enthralled almost immediately.

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.
I bought Deadly Premonition: Directors Cut some time ago but I always ended up playing something else instead. Now I finally installed it, I'm 2 hours in and pardon my expression but this needs to be done... What the **** is this? It's awesome! It's fantastic, seriously omg, where was this gem hidden?

Story is really interesting for now and there are little things that make it so much more interesting (need of sleeping, eating, drinking, smoking to pass time etc). Characters are really well done, especially main character... Who would guess all you need to be happy with a video game is an option to change suits depending on situation... Now, even before I bought the game I heard controls are horrible, aiming and all of that but... As someone who grew up with Resident Evil and on purpose bad Silent Hill aiming system... Let's just say controls need to be really horrible in order to bother me, because honestly I don't see any problem here, yea they can get clunky from time to time but it's not like they are getting me killed or make me think about my every move, I "flow" with them and that is the most important thing. Try playing Devil May Cry 3 on PC with PS controller and you will discover that hell dose exist (ended up playing it on keyboard, yes, it was that bad).

So... If this keeps being this awesome, it will probably get it's special place with Resident Evil, Devil May Cry, Dino Crisis and Silent Hill.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Gah, Fallout 4 at 33% off. Must hold on for summer sale...

Played some more Gang Beasts online. It's suitably sketchy . (Ironically not very rubber-bandy tho )

I bought Deadly Premonition: Directors Cut some time ago but I always ended up playing something else instead. Now I finally installed it, I'm 2 hours in and pardon my expression but this needs to be done... What the **** is this? It's awesome! It's fantastic, seriously omg, where was this gem hidden?
We have a believer! Praise Be!

I'm sincere when I say that Deadly Premonition is one of the best games I've ever played. I'm also sincere when I say that there's a list of problems with it a mile long.

DPFix helps, by the way.

I was actually a little choked up at the ending, too.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Hmm, retro Another World style puzzler. 10hrs of gameplay they reckon. Shame it doesn't have the smooth rotoscoped animation, but maybe...

What game's been getting great reviews recently? A game that many had written off as a dumbed-down cash grab from a studio with heritage in only its name?

Doom, that's what.

It's also the first physical new PC game that I've bought in years, probably since Witcher 2. Ok, I only bought it this way because I had a £15 voucher for Argos and I'll be driving past the local store in about an hour, but it's still a novelty.

I'm betting it's a Steam code in a box.

There are many rumors going around about Resident Evil 7, supposedly title (or developing title) is "The War Ends Now", it brings some nostalgia in me, Capcom came out and said they are going back to horror and to what made original games so good. There is one big rumor also, that after this game RE will go through a reboot and to be honest I would like that, I lived and grew up with Leon, Chris, Jill and others but they kinda killed the story, everything became huge and world ending. It would be a fitting ending, start with horror and end with horror, then reboot it and try to frighten masses again, if anyone can, Capcom can. They were the greatest, then they became horrible and now they are pulling them self back up.

(not official)

Wastelands Inhabitant
Japanese productions needed a big change of mentality after the growth of eastern industry but just Square Enix is making the change... hope capcom's IPs will have a nice refresh

One of my Twitter followers (I like to call them 'the Gold Circle Club' ) is writing a novel!

What's the betting on it being cute, funny, moving and having a few chapters inexplicably missing?

Japanese productions needed a big change of mentality after the growth of eastern industry but just Square Enix is making the change... hope capcom's IPs will have a nice refresh
Capcom needed to earn some money before going into developing new full blown games and they did it nicely to be honest, they gave fans what they wanted, they didn't have to spend lots of cash and people got happy (DMC 4 Remaster, Resident Evil and 0 Remasters...)

And to be honest I'm happy how they plan to move forward with Resident Evil 7 going back to horror (again, giving people what they want), Resident Evil 2 Remake being in works. Something I forgot to mention before, one of the designers from P.T. is on board with RE7, great news there.

And to be honest I'm happy how they plan to move forward with Resident Evil 7 going back to horror
I agree here, and I'm part of the very small minority that actually enjoyed playing Resident Evil 6.

RE6
was a decent action game, especially if you have someone else in the room playing with you via system link or split-screen (also being able to buy two brand new copies for under $15 helps). The problem with that game was that it's a terrible Resident Evil game. After the backlash they got for the last few RE entries, going back to the survival horror roots for RE7 is definitely the smart choice.

Almost done with Samorost 3. Lovely game.

If you liked any of the studio's previous games (Machinarium, the other Samorosts obviously), you'll love this one. You might like it even if you didn't like the first two Samorosts, actually: the first, I believe, was a web game, and the second was more like an experiment/half-a-game. This one feels really fleshed out.

The puzzles have tended towards the easy side, but not too easy. It strikes a pretty nice balance, and the sound design and art are so lovely (the music, in particular, is woven into the gameplay and it's fantastic) that even easier puzzles are very enjoyable to complete. It also contains one of the better puzzles I've ever played in any game, full stop (the one with the cards, is all I'll say).

I agree here, and I'm part of the very small minority that actually enjoyed playing Resident Evil 6.

RE6
was a decent action game, especially if you have someone else in the room playing with you via system link or split-screen (also being able to buy two brand new copies for under $15 helps). The problem with that game was that it's a terrible Resident Evil game. After the backlash they got for the last few RE entries, going back to the survival horror roots for RE7 is definitely the smart choice.
I wish they would go away from the action-genetic mutation b.s., so Im sure this overhaul will help

Doom, sorry, DOOM is ... kinda cool.

Shooters such as this really aren't my jam, and haven't been for many years, but even I can tell that this is exceptionally well executed. It moves at a frantic pace, knowingly nodding at things as it rips, and furthermore, tears. In fact, I don't think I've played a shooter where you move as quickly since the days of the original game.

With no Romero and Carmack on board, id seemed to be a shell of a company, a front for Bethesda to develop an alternative strain of games to its RPGs.

It's very obviously not.

Shootyshootydemonicimagesoverdonemetal etc etc. It's a shooter, ok? They're hard to review.

It won't be mine, but expect Doom to top many GOTY lists, and that's as unexpected as it is welcome.