SPOILER THREAD: Discuss "Star Wars: The Force Awakens"

→ in
Tools    

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=8g9cJ5WKZeU

Don't let the title fool you, it's a very good review.
This is my argument in a perfect one hour nutshell

Thanks for putting up with me btw, I've enjoyed the discussions I've had with you all on this board, no matter how intense I get I love talking shop with all of you. I used to write reviews and post at Joblo and that site closed down its online community, so I was happy to find this place. Everyone has been gracious and wonderfully conversational
Feeling's mutual.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=8g9cJ5WKZeU

Don't let the title fool you, it's a very good review.
This is my argument in a perfect one hour nutshell
I think it ceases to be a nutshell when it's an hour long. I can only promise vid-skimming.

A system of cells interlinked
Revenge of the Sith is a great Star Wars film. It seems dear and sincere to the bone, regardless of some sloppy dialogue (and yes it is sloppy) that movie is all heart and I wouldn't believe it if a Star Wars fan told me he hated Episode 3. I think it's absolutely wonderful.
I can't say that I hate it, per se. It's clearly the best of the prequels by quite a bit, and as I mentioned above, there are some great scenes. However, I think the opening scene is a good way to illustrate what is wrong with the film as a whole, and with the prequels in general:

The words crawl by and then the camera pans down, as in each Star Wars film. We zoom in on two Jedi starfighters buzzing along next to a Star Destroyer. It's vintage Star Wars. For a few seconds, it's magic; the theme music swells and the kid in us jumps for joy. Then the two ships plunge over the side of the ship and the whole thing goes over the proverbial cliff. Our senses are blasted with too much all at once. Hundreds of ships at all different angles with dozens of explosions and effects at every distance level. I get what they were going for, but there is a right way to do a big epic battle (the end of Return of the Jedi) and a wrong way, which they chose to do here. The mess continues as the two Jedi fighters, which looked clean and crisp in the opening shot and they bobbed and weaved, are swarmed with a bunch of goofy little robots and dink and doink all over the place in a distracting manner. In seconds, a slick space scene becomes a cartoony mess.

This concept crops up for me over and over in the film. Too much, all at once. The final battle in The Force Awakens, although clearly derivative of A New Hope, never makes this error. It's hectic and epic without ever going over-the-top or smearing imagery all over the place; it's always under control.

To me, as a guy that grew up with the original trilogy, none of the prequels ever felt like Star Wars. The Force Awakens was a return to form, a getting back to the roots, if you will, for the franchise. Above all, it was fun again. The magic was back.

Questions (and possible answers) for The Force Awakens via Slash Film
  • If The Rebellion Won At The End Of Return Of The Jedi, Why Isn’t The War Over?
  • Is The Resistance Part Of The New Republic?
  • What Has Everyone Been Up To For The Last 34 Years?
  • How Did The Lightsaber Get In Maz’s Castle?
  • What Happened To The Shot In Teaser Trailer #2 Of Maz Handing General Leia The Lightsaber?
  • Who Was Max Von Sydow’s Character? Why Did He Have The Map?
  • How Does Rey Know How To Use Force Powers?
  • How Do Rey and Finn Know How To Fight With A Lightsaber?
  • Is Rey a Skywalker?
  • Or Is Rey A Kenobi?
  • What If Rey’s Parents Were No One We Even Know?
  • What Happens In Rey’s Vision?
  • Who Was Rey Raised By?
  • Who Are Finn’s Parents? How Did He Join The First Order?
  • Why Does R2-D2 Suddenly Wake Up? Why Did He Have The Map?
  • Why Did Kylo Ren Turn To The Dark Side?
  • Who Are The Knights Of Ren?
  • Who Is Supreme Leader Snoke? Is He A Giant?
  • Is Supreme Leader Snoke Actually Darth Plagueis?
  • Why Didn’t Snoke Want To Find Luke Skywalker?
  • Why Didn’t Leia Train As a Jedi?
  • How Did Kylo Get Darth Vader’s Mask?
  • Why Was Finn Unable To Kill?
  • Why Did Luke Skywalker Disappear? Has He Turned To The Dark Side Of The Force?
  • What Happened To The Clone Army? Could The Clones Return?
  • Did Phasma Survive The Destruction of Starkiller Base?
  • Did Hux and Kylo Ran Survive The Destruction of Starkiller Base?
  • How Is It That Rey Understands BB-8 & Chewbacca’s Languages?
  • Who and Where Are Sarco Plank and Constable Zuvio?
agree on all these questions, i wish someone could answer them for us.

Revenge of the Sith is a great Star Wars film. It seems dear and sincere to the bone, regardless of some sloppy dialogue (and yes it is sloppy) that movie is all heart and I wouldn't believe it if a Star Wars fan told me he hated Episode 3. I think it's absolutely wonderful.
I can't say that I hate it, per se. It's clearly the best of the prequels by quite a bit, and as I mentioned above, there are some great scenes. However, I think the opening scene is a good way to illustrate what is wrong with the film as a whole, and with the prequels in general:

The words crawl by and then the camera pans down, as in each Star Wars film. We zoom in on two Jedi starfighters buzzing along next to a Star Destroyer. It's vintage Star Wars. For a few seconds, it's magic; the theme music swells and the kid in us jumps for joy. Then the two ships plunge over the side of the ship and the whole thing goes over the proverbial cliff. Our senses are blasted with too much all at once. Hundreds of ships at all different angles with dozens of explosions and effects at every distance level. I get what they were going for, but there is a right way to do a big epic battle (the end of Return of the Jedi) and a wrong way, which they chose to do here. The mess continues as the two Jedi fighters, which looked clean and crisp in the opening shot and they bobbed and weaved, are swarmed with a bunch of goofy little robots and dink and doink all over the place in a distracting manner. In seconds, a slick space scene becomes a cartoony mess.

This concept crops up for me over and over in the film. Too much, all at once. The final battle in The Force Awakens, although clearly derivative of A New Hope, never makes this error. It's hectic and epic without ever going over-the-top or smearing imagery all over the place; it's always under control.

To me, as a guy that grew up with the original trilogy, none of the prequels ever felt like Star Wars. The Force Awakens was a return to form, a getting back to the roots, if you will, for the franchise. Above all, it was fun again. The magic was back.
By magic what do you mean? Like the feel of it? The tone?

What story is really being told to us? And in that story, what is the point of the entire chain of events that lead us to the climax? There is nothing real In the film, I think if you try to actually diagnose the chain of events as they happen and try to see the film as a coherent puzzle it's a complete mess. Nothing makes any sense.

I must be in the minority, but that's what I think it lacks most is an integral point of existing. Nothing is given any context or emotional weight. Nothing is....anything....characters act robotic and unnatural and the entire thing breezes by without giving anything any substance. It's the complete opposite of the other films as an executed film production. This is a MARVEL MOVIE. This is not Star Wars anymore

Don't mean to be so intense about it, and it is my opinion, I enjoy discussing in detail like this so thanks for sharing your comments