Extremely depressing film recommendations?

Tools    

That's some bad hat, Harry.
Eden Lake

Oldboy

Grave Of The Fireflies

Kids

What is wrong with me? I’ve seen many of the movies mentioned here, but didn’t find them depressing per se. I can’t think of a movie that I found to be depressing. Someone mentioned “The Deer Hunter” - I love that movie!

going through my collection
It's subjective like fear for horror movies, but less so a little imo. I'm beginning to see it all as having many layers, what my question was coming from was for a more aggressive depressing, that can be disturbing. Lilya 4 Ever and Nothing Bad Can Happen was for me the litmus test for this kind.

What is wrong with me? I’ve seen many of the movies mentioned here, but didn’t find them depressing per se. I can’t think of a movie that I found to be depressing. Someone mentioned “The Deer Hunter” - I love that movie!

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
Depressing music and movies seem to be my favorites. Maybe it's because I can identify with it, although there's times I rather not watch anything. I have only seen this movie once, but by the end of it, I gave it a 10/10 and thought it was the best movie about depression and it's shown very well without having to say it every second.. Not sure why this was never popular, considering he directed "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof", "In Cold Blood", etc., and his wife was Jean Simmons.

"The Happy Ending"

"The Noose" - pretty self-explanatory

"La Strada" is also my 2nd favorite movie, and very sad. I can remember every single scene, including one that really gets to me emotionally. It would be great if those who have seen these can chat about em. "Buffalo '66" is a pretty depressing movie for 99% of it.

Depressing and dark. It might be too much for some.

"They Shoot Horses, Don't They?"

John Cassavetes' impressed me because he could direct and act, AND wrote his movies, as opposed to taking a #1 best-seller...... "A Woman Under The Influence" - probably the best performance in a movie (Gena Rowlands)

I adore The Deer Hunter, it’s one of my all-time favourites. I think ‘depressing’ is a broad term — it’s hardly a film to lift one’s spirits, though.

I adore The Deer Hunter, it’s one of my all-time favourites. I think ‘depressing’ is a broad term — it’s hardly a film to lift one’s spirits, though.
I cheered when DeNiro got them away from the Vietcong!

Another good'un...

The Ox-Bow Incident
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

How about The Road. That's about as down as you can get. After some sort of apocalyptic extinction event, not much is left. The Man and The Boy wander the ruined landscape, on the way to nothing, hoping to avoid cannibalistic rape gangs. The father dies. Some other wanderers, who seem comparatively benign, pick up the kid. Will they help him or eat him? End of movie. It's hard to even watch the trailer.

I forgot the opening line.
This thread is like an exciting list of extremely depressing films. My contribution :

I hope to see that sometime, got the book too!

How about The Road. That's about as down as you can get. After some sort of apocalyptic extinction event, not much is left. The Man and The Boy wander the ruined landscape, on the way to nothing, hoping to avoid cannibalistic rape gangs. The father dies. Some other wanderers, who seem comparatively benign, pick up the kid. Will they help him or eat him? End of movie. It's hard to even watch the trailer.

I like Dogville, normally i hate Trier, big Bjork fan so i have a soft spot for Dancer in the Dark, and i do like Breaking the Waves, part of me likes the Kingdom series also. Thanks, hopefully this thread can be more than just me and my sick twisted desire to bum the living bejeezus out of my spirits, and be of general use.

This thread is like an exciting list of extremely depressing films. My contribution :