The rep point system is B.S.

Tools    

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Rep points, Mel points, will do anything for green dots.

If I'm really, really good maybe, one day, I'll get a green bar!

Green dot hounds, you need to get more creative.

Set up five other usernames then you can give yourself rep, or find another user on the board and exchange rep, you'll be max out in no time!

There is a user on this board with 38 posts (soulsolid) that has 6 green dots.

I checked their posts, there nothing there to warrant all that rep.

I think part of the reason people, including me, believe it's boring around here is if they type something that rubs someone the wrong way, they'll get bad rep, like PimpDaShizzle, the orignal version.

Don't say anything controversial, you may get a red dot, what will the neighbors think!

I use to post on another forum and I couldn't understand why this poster, that seemed cool, had such negative rep.

I found out one jerk with his 4 other usernames gave him bad rep every day.

I personally don't give negative rep, I feel if someone crosses the line enough, one of the mods will take care of them.

I have to admit, up till recently, I was caught up with the green dots thing.

Then I got to thinking, "why the hell do I care?"

It's not as simple as you say. Multiple usernames may get around the restriction on how many times you can rep someone, but each of them is going to have less power, given that rep level is determined by length of membership, post count, and your own rep level. Also, rep doesn't have any effect until the person hits 50 posts, so you'd have to be pretty dedicated to bring someone down. And of course, if the multiple usernames were ever discovered (something I keep a fairly close eye on, for the most part), all the effort would be wasted.

I agree, however, that people take the system a bit too seriously.

Ssshhhh loner people will cotton on that i shouldn't have all this rep with my small amount of posts! I'm gana get rumbled!

I See You When You're Sleeping
Originally Posted by Loner
Then I got to thinking, "why the hell do I care?"
1Pt

In the end, everybody cares.

In the Beginning...
I really like the rep system here. It's worth caring about because it feels really good when I get positive rep from somebody, and it makes me want to contribute more thoughtful stuff. It's an incentive, and as long as people care, it helps to keep spirits high. I know I've logged on feeling like crap, and seeing that someone gave me positive rep always made me brighten up.

I used to frequent message boards that had "ranks" for its members (Private, Sergeant, Lieutenant, etc), but it was based on post count. So, instead of worrying about quality, people would just post anything to run up their post counts and achieve these ranks, which - in the community - actually demanded respect from lower ranks. I never liked it, though. It made things more competitive, and less communal.

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
The problem I've always had with the rep system was that, as Yoda said, some people take it too seriously. Not in the sense that everyone wants rep, but that people are appauled if they ever get negative rep. It isn't the end of the world if you get negative rep.

The button brings up two options: "I approve" and "I disapprove". You can elect either one for any possible reason you can think of and yet no matter what, the second one somehow gets interpretated as "I hate your ****ing guts", which may not be the case. People should be far more appreciative of the disapprove button and not interpret it as some supreme act of malevolence.

It makes a point. It is a pity that people miss that point and confuse it with some virtual stab in the heart and proceed to publicly bitch about it later. I for one welcome a red dot if I've said something stupid and I wish more people were willing to both give and recieve.

As for why you should care...You shouldn't care whether or not the majority is green or red or grey, you should care what the context of each point is. If you post a string of moronic posts, you should know it. If you post quality, you should know it. But if you don't care either way, then why post at all? I would think most posters would want to think their post has some degree, even if tiny, of meaning one way or the other - if you don't care about your post, why bother to post at all? If you don't, you're just wasting time.

In the Beginning...
Originally Posted by OG-
The button brings up two options: "I approve" and "I disapprove". You can elect either one for any possible reason you can think of and yet no matter what, the second one somehow gets interpretated as "I hate your ****ing guts", which may not be the case. People should be far more appreciative of the disapprove button and not interpret it as some supreme act of malevolence.
I agree, but now that I think about, I handle the rep system in a disproportionate way. I'll give positive rep if I agree with someone (and if I think it was well-said), but I won't give negative rep if I disagree with someone. I guess it's just the connotation of "negative," as if you've done something wrong.

I'll only give negative rep if someone is being a jerk, insulting people and whatnot.

Originally Posted by Sleezy
I agree, but now that I think about, I handle the rep system in a disproportionate way. I'll give positive rep if I agree with someone (and if I think it was well-said), but I won't give negative rep if I disagree with someone. I guess it's just the connotation of "negative," as if you've done something wrong.
Well, I don't think the idea is to give people negative rep just because you happen to disagree with them...

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by OG-
..."I approve" and "I disapprove". You can elect either one for any possible reason you can think of and yet no matter what, the second one somehow gets interpretated as "I hate your ****ing guts", which may not be the case. ....
Oh believe me Toots.... sometimes, that's exactly what it means.

Loner, quit whining or I'll neg rep you into next week.

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
LOL, neg rep him and I'll neg rep YOU.

speaking of POSITIVE reps...you havent repped me ina while.

Standing in the Sunlight, Laughing
Originally Posted by Equilibrium
LOL, neg rep him and I'll neg rep YOU.

speaking of POSITIVE reps...you havent repped me ina while.
Yeah, you haven't impressed me in awhile.
Get to it. ::taps toes::

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
Oh believe me Toots.... sometimes, that's exactly what it means.

Are you missing something SamsoniteDelilah?

Go ahead!

Yeah, you haven't impressed me in awhile.
Get to it. ::taps toes::

Ouch.

Well.....i still have that major crush on you that ive always had.

that should count for something.

I have to admit, up till recently, I was caught up with the green dots thing.
Sounds like you still are

The People's Republic of Clogher
Originally Posted by nebbit
Sounds like you still are

I have proof that those of us who have the green bar indicating our rep are nothing but aliens. It is true. We are slowly taking over the Earth and will soon be unstoppable. I myself did not know I was an alien till recently when my electric shaver fell in the tub with me and I was not killed, and then I came upon this: http://www.rense.com/general52/vcig.htm.

Truly I have blocked out my alieness until now, there is more proof:
http://romilly.blackwell.id.au/danci...i/100_0137.jpg
http://www.cityliquidators.com/image...ages/SP180.jpg
Even our leader has been caught:

http://sckyz0.free.fr/Yoda%20sabre.jpg

Some of us have not reached our cigaroism ability yet and only have little green dots to tide us over, all I have to say is that do not drop anything electrical into your bathtub until you get the bar the results could be deadly.

The only problem i've had with the rep system is that as soon as i hit 2000, Yoda raises the sabre level to 3000.

Ground Control To Major Thom
Waffle
It's a bit of fun, shut up.