They Had Their Own TV Show?

Tools    

Yeah, Shelley Winters was a helluva package-- actually quite va-va-voom in the '40s, although as you know she played quite a few whiny roles. She had a lot of acting chops though. I haven't looked for the episode, but I did look up the date. It was on September 9, 1968 (the day before my 24th birthday..).

I don't recall ever meeting Howard Kaylan or Mark Volman. As you know they had been The Turtles. They were in the next iteration of MOI after mine. Frank broke us up in late '69. And he didn't form another band until later in '70. They were both good singer/songwriters.

I haven't seen My Dinner with Jimi, although it sounds like fun. I knew Hendrix. We played several festivals together. As a matter of fact I met my second wife at Jimi's pad in London in October, '68. She had been nanny for Rose and Graham Nash's kid.

Jimi was a great guitarist but had lots of problems. The last time I saw him was at a rock club in Hollywood on the East Sunset Strip called The Experience (named after Hendrix's band). I was sitting with him at a table with a couple of other guys, but Jimi was totally fried on drugs. He had no idea where he was or what day it was. It wasn't too long afterward that he died.
Jimi Hendrix was huge on our local Seattle album rock radio station back when I was listening (late 70s, 80s and beyond). I don't really know much about him, except of course really liking his music. I remember a couple times listening to the radio and his father Al Hendrix stopped by the station to reminiscent about his son. You could tell he really missed him and I got the feeling that Jimi was basically a shy person. It's too bad about the drugs, he went before his time.

Speaking of Graham Nash, in the movie My Dinner With Jimi which is based on Kaylan and The Turtles experience when they went to London...according to Kaylan,
"It's an absolutely true story," Kaylan said. "It was our first trip to London, and we met Graham Nash, Donovan, the Rolling Stones, and the Beatles—who played us Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band before it was released—all on the same night! I wound up eating dinner with Hendrix at 4 a.m. and getting violently ill and puking all over his red velvet suit!"

I see Frank Zappa is listed as a role in the movie too. I swear I'm not trying to talk you into watching it (well maybe a little!), but you of all people might get a kick out of it. (it is a tiny budget indie film, so if you watch it ever keep that in mind.) I once had it in my Top 10 movie profile.

BTW have you ever considered writing an autobiographical book about your time in the music business? With your background getting it published by a book publisher shouldn't be a problem...Probably a lot of work. Though I know celebrities and others have dictated or recorded their personal stories and then had a ghost writer put it down in ready to be published book form...with final control being up to the celebrity. Just a thought.

Jimi Hendrix was huge on our local Seattle album rock radio station back when I was listening (late 70s, 80s and beyond). I don't really know much about him, except of course really liking his music. I remember a couple times listening to the radio and his father Al Hendrix stopped by the station to reminiscent about his son. You could tell he really missed him and I got the feeling that Jimi was basically a shy person. It's too bad about the drugs, he went before his time.

Speaking of Graham Nash, in the movie My Dinner With Jimi which is based on Kaylan and The Turtles experience when they went to London...according to Kaylan,
"It's an absolutely true story," Kaylan said. "It was our first trip to London, and we met Graham Nash, Donovan, the Rolling Stones, and the Beatles—who played us Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band before it was released—all on the same night! I wound up eating dinner with Hendrix at 4 a.m. and getting violently ill and puking all over his red velvet suit!"

I see Frank Zappa is listed as a role in the movie too. I swear I'm not trying to talk you into watching it (well maybe a little!), but you of all people might get a kick out of it. (it is a tiny budget indie film, so if you watch it ever keep that in mind.) I once had it in my Top 10 movie profile.

BTW have you ever considered writing an autobiographical book about your time in the music business? With your background getting it published by a book publisher shouldn't be a problem...Probably a lot of work. Though I know celebrities and others have dictated or recorded their personal stories and then had a ghost writer put it down in ready to be published book form...with final control being up to the celebrity. Just a thought.
That's interesting about Hendrix's dad. Must have broken his heart when Jimi OD'd. He was a great guitarist, although some of his gimmicks, like "eating" the guitar, he got from Bo Diddley.

Kaylan & Volman must have only been 20 years old when they made their first trip to London where they met some of the celebrities like Graham Nash, if "Sgt. Peppers" hadn't been released yet. They're about 3 years younger than I.

Funny story about Nash. With MOI/Zappa we did a big concert in October, '68 at Royal Festival Hall in London. It premiered "200 Motels" which later became a Zappa movie. Anyway it was a big event, and lots of luminaries were there like the Stones, Princess Margaret, Graham Nash, and others.

After the show I walked off the stage and Nash introduced himself to me. He said he'd been working on some new "far out" music, and invited me over to his flat to listen to it. When he played it, it sounded a lot like the Hollies, of which he'd been a member. It wasn't my kind of music (I was too far out), but I did comment that it was in the Hollies vein. Anyway it turned out that the stuff was early music for Crosby, Stills & Nash. What the hell did I know??..

I've been encouraged to write a book by several musician friends of mine over the years. I don't think I've got a whole book in me. I'm not famous, although I've played with lots of famous people. Plus my era is so long ago that nobody under 55 is likely to be familiar with that stuff. Even if I were able to do something book length it would have to sell 4000-5000 copies just to see enough profit to make it worth all the long and painstaking work.

I did write a pretty good article comparing/contrasting Frank Zappa with Captain Beefheart (Don Vliet), entitled Zappa vs. Beefheart: What Were They Really Like? I shopped it around to the rock magazines. Several liked it, although it was way too long (4500 words). I cut it down to 3500 words, which was still too long. The Rolling Stone editor was very complimentary, but said they only use articles by in house writers.

In the end I gave it to both the Beefheart and Zappa websites. If you're interested, here's a link: http://www.beefheart.com/zappa-vs-be...-by-art-tripp/ A cup of coffee will help you through it...

Oh yeah! I loved the Captain and Tennile as a young teen. My dad hated my taste in what he called bubblegum music.
Can't say I loved their music but I liked the show OK. Seeing how I relate everything to the original The Love Boat, I'll add that I see Toni Tennile as a guest star trice on that show..or wait was that on Fantasy Island? I watched both series recently.

The previously mentioned George Gobel Show is a perfect example of the irony featured in this thread.

It just seemed like in the 50's & 60's they'd give almost anybody their own show and there were so many of these variety shows hosted by a celebrity that the public virtually lost track of them all (another irony is that a genre that was so dominant is now almost non-existent on American television). So was George Gobel "just anybody"?

Well, he was foremost a humorist & comedian, an actor and dabbled in singing & music.

How many people here today have even HEARD of George Gobel? I only know of him for having appeared on the Hollywood Squares when I was a kid, but outside of that I have no memory of seeing him on TV or in any movies (although he appeared in both, mostly before my time).

He was never a superstar but known mostly during his heyday for the very variety show that bore his name.
I remember seeing him on talk shows a lot.

...Funny story about Nash. With MOI/Zappa we did a big concert in October, '68 at Royal Festival Hall in London. It premiered "200 Motels" which later became a Zappa movie. Anyway it was a big event, and lots of luminaries were there like the Stones, Princess Margaret, Graham Nash, and others.

After the show I walked off the stage and Nash introduced himself to me. He said he'd been working on some new "far out" music, and invited me over to his flat to listen to it. When he played it, it sounded a lot like the Hollies, of which he'd been a member. It wasn't my kind of music (I was too far out), but I did comment that it was in the Hollies vein. Anyway it turned out that the stuff was early music for Crosby, Stills & Nash. What the hell did I know??....
Love that story! All I can say is wow! Thanks for sharing and thanks for the link I'll take a look.

I've been encouraged to write a book by several musician friends of mine over the years. I don't think I've got a whole book in me. I'm not famous, although I've played with lots of famous people. Plus my era is so long ago that nobody under 55 is likely to be familiar with that stuff. Even if I were able to do something book length it would have to sell 4000-5000 copies just to see enough profit to make it worth all the long and painstaking work.
Oh don't let that the age of your audience dissuade you. Lots of kids are interested in their parents and grandparents music.

Oh don't let that the age of your audience dissuade you. Lots of kids are interested in their parents and grandparents music.
I don't blame them - there hasn't been much good music (in the popular / recording realm) for a few decades!

Does anyone remember a short-lived variety series starring Jimmy Durante and the Lennon Sisters? I think it was a summer replacement for The Hollywood Palace.

You make a good point. I love a lot of music from the '40s and even the '30s, even though that was my parent's generation. And my daughter loves '60s rock 'n roll even though she wasn't born until 1968. And the "American Songbook" is full of thousands of wonderful songs. People really sang then. Now they chant...

And the point certainly applies to my love of early noir films, and even '30s films and before that into the silents.

Please Quote/Tag Or I'll Miss Your Responses
The Mort Sahl Show
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6030610/

And then the one that's available only at USC. Almost went to LA from SF but met a girl and she changed my plans.

Mort Sahl (KTTV, Los Angeles, 5/20/1966)
Mort Sahl (KTTV, Los Angeles, 6/17/1966)

The only one that is on YouTube is his show on The Monitor Channel. Unfortunately, it went out of business after the 5th episode, which is mentioned in the episode, as well as my town.

Does anyone remember a short-lived variety series starring Jimmy Durante and the Lennon Sisters? I think it was a summer replacement for The Hollywood Palace.

I looked it up, and the show was called, "Jimmy Durante Presents the Lennon Sisters", airing for a single season 1969-70 on ABC.

I wasn't watching any TV in those years, but I do vividly remember "The Jimmy Durante Show", airing on NBC from 1954-56. He always opened with "Inka Dinka Doo", and his closing line was always "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are." It was on that show that the great Carmen Miranda had her last appearance in August of '55. During a dance comedy scene Miranda went down to one knee (which was a pre heart attack), but finished the bit. She went back to her hotel where she died later that night of a coronary.

Years ago I though Durante was an insufferable cornball. And I resented how he treated Buster Keaton on Durante's show. But later I realized what a great entertainer and personality he was. When he's in a scene it's hard to take one's eyes off of him, and his sincerity always comes across.

Here's one of my favorite scenes of his-- from The Man Who Came to Dinner (1942):