2004 Bafta Awards

Tools    

The 2004 Bafta Awards have just been shown on the BBC. Here are the winners and losers - what are your thoughts?

BEST FILM
Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
Big Fish
Cold Mountain
Lost in Translation
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

BEST BRITISH FILM
Touching the Void
Cold Mountain
Girl with a Pearl Earring
In This World
Love Actually

BEST DIRECTOR (David Lean award for achievement in direction)
Peter Weir - Master and Commander

Tim Burton - Big Fish
Anthony Minghella - Cold Mountain
Peter Jackson - The Return of the King
Sofia Coppola - Lost in Translation

BEST ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
Bill Murray - Lost in Translation
Benicio Del Toro - 21 Grams
Johnny Depp - Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl
Jude Law - Cold Mountain
Sean Penn - Mystic River
Sean Penn - 21 Grams

BEST ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
Scarlett Johansson - Lost in Translation
Anne Reid - The Mother
Naomi Watts - 21 Grams
Scarlett Johansson -Girl With a Pearl Earring
Uma Thurman - Kill Bill Vol. 1

BEST ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Bill Nighy - Love Actually
Albert Finney - Big Fish
Sir Ian McKellen - The Return of the King
Paul Bettany - Master and Commander
Tim Robbins - Mystic River

BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
Renee Zellweger - Cold Mountain
Emma Thompson - Love Actually
Holly Hunter - Thirteen
Judy Parfitt - Girl with a Pearl Earring
Laura Linney - Mystic River

ORANGE FILM OF THE YEAR (Audience award)
The Return of the King

Best film not in the English language
In This World
The Barbarian Invasions
Belleville Rendez-vous
Etre et Avoir
Good Bye Lenin!
Spirited Away

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
The Station Agent
21 Grams
The Barbarian Invasions
Finding Nemo
Lost in Translation

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
The Return of the King
Big Fish
Cold Mountain
Mystic River

Carl Foreman Award (for special achievement by a British director/producer/writer in their first feature film)
Emily Young - Kiss of Life
Sergio Casci - American Cousins
Jenny Mayhew - To Kill A King
Peter Webber - Girl with a Pearl Earring

BEST SHORT ANIMATION
Jojo in the Stars
Dads Dead
Dear Sweet Emma
Nibbles
Plumber

BEST SHORT FILM
Brown Paper Bag
Bye Child
Nits
Sea Monsters
Talking with Angels

BEST HAIR & MAKE UP
Pirates of the Caribbean
Big Fish
Cold Mountain
The Return of the King

BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
The Return of the King
Big Fish
Kill Bill
Master and Commander
Pirates of the Caribbean

BEST SOUND
Master and Commander
Cold Mountain
Kill Bill
The Return of the King
Pirates of the Caribbean

BEST EDITING
Lost in Translation
21 Grams
Cold Mountain
Kill Bill
Return of the King

BEST COSTUME DESIGN
Master and Commander
Cold Mountain
The Return of the King
Pirates of the Caribbean

BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
Master and Commander
Big Fish
Cold Mountain
The Return of the King

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
The Return of the King
Cold Mountain
Lost in Translation
Master and Commander

BEST MUSIC (Anthony Asquith award for achievement in film music)
Cold Mountain
Kill Bill
The Return of the King
Lost in Translation

Michael Balcon Award for Outstanding Contribution to British film
Working Title films

So, it's been no-one's year in particular, with awards spread between Return of the King, Master and Commander and Lost in Translation. Cold Mountain continues to underachieve at the awards, and we can only speculate how the Academy Awards will pan out in a couple of weeks.

Thanks for that Welshbint, I was surprised that "love Actually" was nominated in the Best English film category as i thought it was a bit of fluff.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Ahh, it's that old luvvies-network/let's-rework-4-weddings-til-we-die thing.

I'm happy about the lesser known Touching the Void winning (what i've heard about it says it's a well-dramatised semi-doc about a crazy real-life, life-or-death situation)... and i really want to see In this World, not coz it was british-made, but coz it looks good, eye-opening-stylee, and it beat off some very creative and compulsive competition.

I certainly enjoyed Love Actually - it was a bit of fluff in the main, but great fun and quite touching.

Compared to something like Four Weddings or Notting Hill, there were some tremendous performances here - notably Emma Thompson and Laura Linney.

I haven't seen Master & Commander - didn't really appeal - but I was kind of surprised by it's success here. I think that's probably because I was rooting for Lord of the Rings.

Also, while I didn't enjoy Lost in Translation very much, I do think that the acting awards were well deserved - great performances in an otherwise slight and dull movie.

Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World was an excellent movie, so while I was shocked to see Peter Weir win, I was also rather pleased.

And Lost in Translation was THE best film of 2003.

i was plesantly suprised with 'Master and Commander: Far Side of the World' when I went and saw it last Sunday. The first thing I noticed was the incredible job they did with the sound. I was blow out of my mind- they definately deserve best sound.

Welshbint- I know what you mean, it's hard to be fair when you look at who you think should win, especially if your rooting for 'Return of the King'

I was a bit suprised with that Best make-up thing for 'Pirates', I mean sure they made Johnny Depp look like a sex god, but I am so ever attached to the gruesome faces that the make-up directors with 'LOTR' did, maybe it's just because they made an orc look exactly like an orc should. And that they were very correct with the way elves faces should of looked like, and the ears and then the hobbits feet.

I want to see 'Love Actually' now.
Infinitely suffering thing.
T.S Eliot, "Preludes"

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
And Lost in Translation was THE best film of 2003.
Says who?
"Today, war is too important to be left to politicians. They have neither the time, the training, nor the inclination for strategic thought. I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."

Lets put a smile on that block
Stephen Fry presented this years BAFTA's. The guy is such a legend. as much as i love seeing whose gonna win and hear the speeches etc, i always look forward to Fry's act as he presents each section of the ceremony.

Originally Posted by WelshBint
I certainly enjoyed Love Actually - it was a bit of fluff in the main, but great fun and quite touching.
Don't get me wrong, I may have described it as a bit of fluff, I did enjoy it, I laughed,cried and i enjoyed it.

Lets put a smile on that block
Originally Posted by nebbit
Don't get me wrong, I may have described it as a bit of fluff, I did enjoy it, I laughed,cried and i enjoyed it.
I thought the meaning of Love Actually was nice, and its reasons for exisiting are touching but over all the film made me want to vomit. it's so incredibly cheesy, cringe makingly so. I definatly don't think it deserves any acting awards what so ever....well maybe for Emma Thompson as she was brilliant in it but thats about it

I don't know about Lost In Translation. I was only kept in my seat due to the fact that Murray was in it and altho I like him and his style of wit, I didn't think it was any different to the way he's played many other roles.
Love Actually, as Nebbit mentioned, was a 'bit of fluff'. Indeed it was. I think that some of the actors were wasted in their roles. Emma Thompson was definitely the only one I thought that gave her character any 'oomph' (for lack of a better word).

I found Love Actually unbearable and god damn awful.

Originally Posted by Philmster
I found Love Actually unbearable and god damn awful.
But that's because you're a heartless fiend.

Just you watch. It may not be the greatest picture ever made, of course, but just you watch. It'll become a Christmas classic yet.

Put me in your pocket...
Originally Posted by Fox
I don't know about Lost In Translation. I was only kept in my seat due to the fact that Murray was in it and altho I like him and his style of wit, I didn't think it was any different to the way he's played many other roles.
I'm with you David. I like Bill Murray alot....he was good, but he seemed as he always does to me, just more subdued.

Also...I liked Lost In Translation, but picture of the year?

I wanted to see Love Actually when it came out, but never got a chance to see it. It's interesting seeing/reading everyone's opmion on it.

Do you know my poetry?
I thought Love Actually was a great film, I thought it was one of the funniest films of last year. All the storylines were great, especially the "Billy Mack" storyline, I loved Bill Nighy in this movie and I'm glad he won the Best Actor in a Supporting Role award.

Lost in Translation was just an excellent film, maybe not the best of the year, but definately is in my Top 5 of 2003. Murray and Johansson really do deserve all these nominations for their awesome performances.

I'm really pissed American Splendor didn't get any award nominations, I thought Paul Giamatti should of at least gotten a Best Actor nomination. And I definately thought it should of gotten a nomination for Best Picture.

Originally Posted by The Silver Bullet
But that's because you're a heartless fiend.
That may be true, but the film was so predictable and nothing new was introduced, smae old same old from where I was sitting. I really couldn't care less abotu any of the characters and their situtations. It just seemed like a really pointless film, aside from the mildly clever title.

Plus, I absolutely hate Hugh Grant and Martine McCutcheons "contributions" to the film, they were both awful.

I guess I really am a heartless fiend

Originally Posted by Philmster
I guess I really am a heartless fiend
Indeed you are, Scrooge.

i thought love actually was the one of the best romantic comedies i've seen in years...it might have been fluff, but some of it was downright brilliant..

as for lost in translation, yes i could see it getting best picture..i thought the performances by scarlet johanssen and bill murray were both excellent..especially bill murray's performance...i've never seen him as a serious actor before this even tho i know he's had some non funny roles

and a short nod to sofia coppola's second job at directing...