Death Race 2000 - Shock shock horror shock shock horror - This is GOOD

→ in
Tools    

Paul WS Anderson never seizes to amaze me. First he comes out witih the wicked Mortal Kombat film only to follow that up with a string of very shite sci-fi, fantasy and action flicks. Alien vs Predator was rubbish, Resident Evil diabolical and nobody's even heard of Event Horizen. But the kid has made his best film yet with yet another remake in Death Race.

Dont' get me wrong, this film is no work of art. It's as shallow as a pond and features some ludicrous dialogue...but the film's title says it all: This film mainly features fast and dangerous automobiles trying to eliminate one another - with explosive, exciting and gruesome results. Much like Death Proof, the film features some brilliant car racing sequences that are even more gory than Tarantino's flick and MAYBE even more spectacular.

We've got Jason Statham as our main man in this flick. An actor well aware of his limitations . His character is as cliched as you'd expect, but he is still quite fun in it. Joan Allen is as MILF like as ever too, with low angle camera shots emphasing her legs.

This is all rushed, but all in all, a surprisingly entertaining flick from the WS Anderson. It was the 2nd best film of the fright fest festival, which ended today. And yes, I saw Emily Booth again.

I once liked it when I stubbed my toe back in 4th grade. Why? Because a girl liked the idea that I was "rough". Nowadays - a stubbed toe f-ing hurts badly, so does most W.A.s films...it takes a taste that there is no accounting for, does it not?

When my girlfriend and I saw this trailer for the first time, we grinned at each other in the beginning, because of how over the top it was. And we both burst out laughing when Jason Statham came on screen. After seeing the setup, it just seemed perfectly logical that he'd be in this movie. I don't think they'd have been allowed to make it without him.

And yes, I saw Emily Booth again.
But could she see you? The answer to that question will tell us whether or not you're a) really lucky or b) a stalker.

\m/ Fade To Black \m/
This does sound like a great film I havent seen the trailers for it yet but fair play it does seem like it has the possibility to be great.

Jason Statham could ruine the film as I hate the American accent that he puts on, he does sound like a fool. I did enjoy his performance in Snatch though.

But could she see you? The answer to that question will tell us whether or not you're a) really lucky or b) a stalker.

Well, it took me having to walk by a good 10 times to try and get her to notice me. But then she quickly siad a 'hi' when I least expected it, so she did recognise me from the other day. But yeah, I think it's fair to go with a bit of both A and B .

When I first saw the trailer before the title was revealed I thought Paul W.S was heading into video game territory once again and making a twisted metal movie, which would probably have been bad as well but I would have been more inclined to see because twisted metal is awesome

The real question here is; "Did you see Emily Booth before or after seeing this film?" Because I think I could watch just about anything after seeing her.

Whatever the case, rather than see this, just watch the original again. It's bound to be a lot more fun and you don't have to watch Ian McShane. If that's not win/win, I don't know what is.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Death Race 2000 is an awesome exploitation film from the 1970's, the modern version is simply called Death Race. I was confused into thinking this thread was going to be about the Jason Statham free original. haha.

Funny thing, when I first saw the trailer for Death Race (not 2000), I thought, "ugh, this looks terrible." Upon being subjected to it every time I watch TV, I thought, "Ok, I can see how this could be a pretty fun, stupid movie." Then, after the millionth time seeing it during Family Guy re-runs, I thought, "Must...see...death race..."

But then when I got to the cinema, I snapped out of that. "I don't want to see Death Race! It's got the guy from Crank in it, and was directed by the guy that made Alien Vs. Predator! Ew!"

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Little floppy, hoppy, bunnies!
I want to see this movie I love the guy from crank.....his name is?The movie looks pretty good......its a re-make? Movie looks cool!

Death Race

If one were to see this movie and not know anything about the original then you could probably enjoy it for what it is. A relatively mindless action flick with some cool cars and explosions. Nothing really wrong with that right? This was originally going to be titled Death Race 3000 so everyone would know for sure that this was yet another remake in a long line of remakes, instead it is simply called Death Race.

Paul W. S. Anderson who it seems to this viewer anyway may have already put his best films firmly behind him in movies like Mortal Kombat, Soldier and Event Horizon directed this flick and to be honest with you this movie is in fact about 5 times the movie that AVP was so kudos to him.

Now I'm not always one of those people that thinks its an absolute travesty to remake a cult classic but in this case it kind of is. The original film Death Race 2000 was a relatively low budget movie with a very young Sylvester Stallone and David Carridine respectively. It was particularly enjoyable because of its outlandish plot. In the original you have several people racing across the states trying to rack up points by hitting innocent civilians as the racers try to reach the finish line.

In today's Death Race and in our politically correct world that sort of movie is frowned upon unless the person who gets hit with a car has already been labeled a "bad" person and therefore its appropriate that he be decimated by a car crash. "He got what he deserved!" Right? Plus instead of racing across the states these folks are all inmates in a major prison and they just race around the prison yard while the nation watches to see which inmate is going to get his just deserts and get wiped out first.

I can say this though Natalie Martinez was a breath of fresh air. She was very pretty but sadly in another departure from some of the charm of the original we did not receive even the faintest sniff of the obligatory "booby" shot that really helped make the lower budget films of the 70's worthwhile. To bad, she is very attractive and it would have brought the flick up another half a popcorn bucket for me. But it is what it is. We're not supposed to be objectifying women anymore, we need to focus on the violence, that's much more important. Right? Yeah well whatever.

Anyway, overall I liked it. I just didn't really like it you know?

Hah, i thought i was the only person to bump ratings up based on nudity

Btw, Prestige- was that a dig at Event Horizon or saying how underseen it is?

Event Horizon gets better with each passing year, I think PW was saying it's one of Anderson's best films, and I agree in that I think it is his best. I remember thinking Soldier was rubbish at the time, even with Kurt Russell, and wouldn't entertain Mortal Kombat on the grounds of it being a video game.

Event Horizon gets better with each passing year, I think PW was saying it's one of Anderson's best films, and I agree in that I think it is his best. I remember thinking Soldier was rubbish at the time, even with Kurt Russell, and wouldn't entertain Mortal Kombat on the grounds of it being a video game.
I heard Soldier was tripe, well the Radio Times said so anyway, so avoided that one. Have a soft spot for MK and always held Event Horizon highly until rewatched it and was supremely let down. Wasn't nearly as good as i remember, can't remember which films (on tip of my tongue) but it seemed like diluted mix of them.

Hah, i thought i was the only person to bump ratings up based on nudity

Btw, Prestige- was that a dig at Event Horizon or saying how underseen it is?

I was having a dig. I don't rate that film at all. It's frustrating because it had unlimited potential but fails on all areas. And yes, Powered, I too was praying to god to see Natalie's bits and bobs. A quick shower scene wouldn't have been out of the question.

Yeah I agree with you UF I think Event Horizon is his best film too. I have a soft spot for Soldier that I really can't explain but nevertheless I just really enjoy it. Mortal Kombat would be third on his short list of bests for me.

The Fungus Among Us
UP THE CHAIN!!!

I like death race the sound of this like a great film I have seen the trailers for it............. it has the possibility to be great.I really enjoyed this.........