Vanilla Sky

Tools    

I ain't gettin' in no fryer!
Ok, this movie is coming up on its release date and there isn't a thread on it yet. What do you guys think about Cameron Crowe's latest? I keep seeing spots for it on television, and it looks kinda twisted and freaky, what do you think?
"I was walking down the street with my friend and he said, "I hear music", as if there is any other way you can take it in. You're not special, that's how I receive it too. I tried to taste it but it did not work." - Mitch Hedberg

In Soviet America, you sue MPAA!
I can't wait for it. It has got one of the best trailers of all time, so it better be good.

I might go out and rent Obre Los Ojos the night before, or I'll wait till afterwards. Holden said it was good.

With Crowe directing it's got to be either real good...or real bad.

The trailer, yes, does look fantastic, kinda leaves me confused each time I watch it.

The original Spanish film Open Your Eyes (Abre los Ojos) is a great flick. I don't think it needed to be re-made in any way. It was only released in 1997! But having said that, I am curious to see how Cameron Crowe is going to translate it and realize the story on a larger Hollywood budget.

Judging from the trailer, Vanilla Sky looks to be a very faithful adaptation of Open Your Eyes. And I do like the way they're marketing it, not giving too much away. Most of the material in the trailer is from only the first twenty-or-so minutes of the film.

I suspect one of the reasons they're handling the film this way is for the majority of the movie, the Cruise character's face is either horribly scarred or behind a mask. That stuff is probably NOT gonna get the date crowd and female Tom-swooning demographic into the theaters.I won't say more, or I'll start ruining it.

Whatever the reasons, they are keeping the majority of the plot hidden in the advertising. I think this is going to lead to a lot of disappointed and confused audiences opening weekend, the ones who thought Crowe and Cruise teamed so perfectly for Jerry Maguire. But it's also going to make for a neat experience for those who haven't ever seen Open Your Eyes.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

very excited about this movie, i love Almost Famous and Jerry Maguire. And of course i also love Penelope Cruz.
I saw the preview, and it looks weird, but i wonder how weird its actually gonna be.
"Who comes at 12:00 on a Sunday night to rent Butch Cassady and the Sundance Kid?"
-Hollywood Video rental guy to me

I'm looking forward to Vanilla Sky. I haven't seen the Open Your Eyes movie and have been avoiding it because I don't want to know what it's all about.

I like the way the trailers are done. It's been enough to whet my appetite, but not enough to give anything away.

Guy
I agree, the trailer is excellent! I'm looking forward to it very much.

If the movie is half as good as the trailer, I'll be happy. I get the biggest dorkiest smile on my face whenever I see that damn thing.

I dug the trailer...but not to the extent most of you seem to. It was good (very good, even), but I didn't find it to be amazing. Holden: wow, what a curveball. I didn't see that one coming (no, I'm not being sarcastic, though I realize it sounds that way).

This movie looks okay to me, to be honest. The first trailers I saw made it look like it was simply about relationships...movies like that CAN be good, but more often than not, I want something a little more thrilling. The next trailer I see has him on the edge of a building...it looking more like some kind of crime movie. At this point I dunno what to think about the whole thing. If the reviews are good, I'll probably see it...though odds are I'll be too busy camping out for LOTR:FOTR.

Originally posted by spudracer
And of course, if you want to see Penelope Cruz nekkid in this movie, you can... Just an FYI for those wanting to know.
Hmmm, you sure? I don't trust Spuds. Ought to be Diaz, though...Cruz looks a little odd, IMO.

I don't know if Penelope Cruz gets naked in Crowe's re-make, but in the original film (which she also co-stars, in the exact same role) she can definitely be seen in all her glory, sans shirt or bra. Er, uh, not that I've ever frozen the Open Your Eyes DVD at that exact spot and advanced frame-by-frame.

I suspect I know what a popular comment is going to be for many who see this movie but don't know a) it is a re-make, and b) don't know what year the original film was made. If I say that comment here it's going to completely spoil the flick, but I know it's coming. There's gonna be a lot of, "Oh, this is so much a rip-off of _____", when they'll be surprised to learn Open Your Eyes actually preceeds ______.

We'll table that until people actually start seeing Vanilla Sky.

Caught a thing on Entertainment Tonight and they were talking about the flick and Cameron Diaz was talking about being naked with Cruise, and then they mentioned Cruz being naked as well, but not covered up.

I saw this movie when they previewed it here. there was no nuduty, sorry. and it is exactly the same story as the original film, which left me scratching my head when i saw it. i think what is going to happen is that it will have a lot of interest the first weekeend, much like eyes wide shut did. then people will be disappointed. it is a difficult film to figure out what is happening. they don't make tc look as ugly as they did to the original guy in the spanish version.

what other movies are people excited to see? I can't wait for gosford park...i have heard great things about it and it looks like Altman might be back---this looks like the player meets an old english murder mystery. What about Royal Tenenbaums? does anyone want to see that? When does it com out.

final word on vanilla sky. people are going to be upset about this one. trust me.

I'm glad Cameron Crowe stayed true to Open Your Eyes. I'm sure this is going to be largely misunderstood by the mainstream U.S. moviegoing public, but personally I think that's great.

I am VERY anxiously awaiting The Royal Tenenbaums. It opens next week (December 14th) in NY and L.A., then starts spreading out slowly in following weks. I'm gonna have to drive up to Manhattan next Friday, I reckon. I can't wait any longer. For a thread dedicated to The Royal Tenenbaums - though it quickly degenerates into a love/hate treatise on Wes Anderson's sense of humor and Rushmore specifically, go HERE.

And Bob Altman's Gosford Park is another one I'm extremely anxious to see. Maybe Altman's best ensemble cast since Nashville, and the advance buzz has been nothing but awestruck. Gosford Park doesn't open in NY/L.A. until December 26th, and slowly for the rest of the country throughout January.

And welcome to the board!

I totally agree. American audiences will not "get" Vanilla Sky. I can't wait to see how people react to it.

I am also looking forward to royal tenebaums. I loved rushmore and I'm sure this will be brilliant.

Next weekend, I am going to see Not Another Teen Movie. The trailer looks hilarious and its by the same director who does all the MTV Movie Awards parody movies, so this isn't going to be a cheesy movie. I bet its very funny.

thanks for the welcome!

I'm greatly looking forward to both Vanilla Sky and The Royal Tenenbaums. I loved Rushmore so much, and can't wait to see this one.

Steve

"There was no nudity, sorry."
- Peegaleg
I don't know if Peegaleg was just not paying attention or isn't interested in female breasts, but Penelope Cruz is definitely viewed topless in Vanilla Sky (though her nudity in Open Your Eyes is a little more glorious).

I just saw it last night and was blown away. My heart jumped out of my chest and I couldn't even breathe at moments. Then there are scenes of comedy which just make me laugh my a$$ off. This movie had everything I could have wanted. After seeing Spy Game and Life as a House I'm glad that I finally saw another good movie. The last being Amelie. A lot of people think that the ending took the cheap way out, but I loved it. I won't say any more than that until a majority of us have seen it.

ok, maybe I just don't find penelope cruz attractive and thats why I didn't remember she was naked...or maybe its because I just wanted to forget this film as soon as I saw it!

also, just thought everyone should know there is a great program on the Sundance Channel about Robert Altman's picture Gosford Park...I think this film could be really good. and I am definitely going to see it when it comes to town.