A Sound Of Thunder

Tools    

the only hayward man will ever need
thats who i meant - ben kingsley - thats the guy who imeant instead of ray winstone. i always get teh two mixed up. but my point still stands - ben kingsley is terrible.
"I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species. I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see. I felt like destroying something beautiful." - Tyler Durden

"If ever a movie was cursed from inception, this adaptation of the Ray Bradbury short story is it. Begun three years ago in Prague, the production was forced to shut down as a result of massive flooding within the Czech capital; after the cameras finally began rolling months later, the investors went bankrupt. Eventually completed on a tighter budget,"

A system of cells interlinked
Originally Posted by hayward
thats who i meant - ben kingsley - thats the guy who imeant instead of ray winstone. i always get teh two mixed up. but my point still stands - ben kingsley is terrible.
Oh, I see what you meant, and you are bat**** insane.

Did you see Sexy Beast? Kingsley is NOT terrible. What was he bad in?

Bummer about the problems on the budget....

Here to support the villians.......
Originally Posted by Sedai
Oh, I see what you meant, and you are bat**** insane.

Did you see Sexy Beast? Kingsley is NOT terrible. What was he bad in?

Bummer about the problems on the budget....
Exactly Kingsley never sucks, he was f*cking awesome in Sexy Beast.

WARNING: "A Sound of Thunder" spoilers below
Ok, all the negative things the critics out there said about the special effects were correct. The blue screen that was being used as they walked their futuristic city was horrid as you can notice the actors outlines with that of the background a little too much. The trailer is a little deceptive if you judge it's effects by that alone. The idea itself is very good as it is an adaption of a short story from Ray Bradbury and is basically about a scientist (Burns) who in the year 2055 is trying to use dna from the dinasours to bring back aready extinct animals such as the lion. This operation is backed by a guy named Charles Hatton (Ben Kingsley) who is in it for the money alone and of course greed is the reason behind the foul up that takes place after one of the jumps that creates a ripple effect in the time line and they have to go back and set things right before the last ripple which would wipe and exchange the humans off the earth with thier evolved counterparts. Anyways, though the acting was fine in many of the scenes, it still needed help in other's as the suspence in some of their voices such as with Ed Burns, failed at times. Then again he's more of a robot actor anyways. Mostly i was impressed with all the actors.
This movie had great potential but whoever wrote the script needs another job. For an operation so dangerous for all of mankind, there were some emotional fragile kooks coming in along for the ride who should never have been there to begin with and i'm sure this would be impossible for this to happen in the real world. It seems they also jumped too quickly through the storylines just to get to the end which took all of the suspense away. Anways, i kept asking myslef every 5 minutes what a Grade A actor like Ben Kingsley was doing in this film. What was he thinking. The thing is when you take a chance on a movie that deals with alot of cgi,s your doing just that...taking a chance cause the look of it is all in the hands of these special effects experts and if not done correctly, can turn an A movie into a B movie which obviously happened here. That is why if i was an actor of today, I would only take films backed up with George Lucas "Industrial Light and Magic" special effect company which developed many of the best visual imagery of films during the last 15 years such as with "The Abyss" , "Jurrassic Park", 'Terminator 2', 'The Mask", and the last 3 starwars flicks.

But i guess according to the above poster with the flooding in that area, it was Mother Nature's fault and not poor decision making on the actor's part on taking a movie with a terrible cgi team.

The story and its premises in A Sound of Thunder are nice enough, but the special effects are not so nice. Based on a short story by Ray Bradbury, that it was based on a short story is evident, given the amount of filler scenes. The fillers scenes are largely the run through wild hostile jungle gauntlet. I suspect the story’s premise will be seen in a few years time to be prophetically ominous. Together with the financially pinched special effects used, this will become something of a cult DVD title.

My theory about cult movies is that the stories in them have strong premises but the execution is poor, be it in ability or finance. The poor execution turns off a lot of people but for the few who get it, they in turn via word of mouth, push the movie along through the years after its release.

The overarching premise is about capitalism, the corporations’s power to retard government agencies’ oversight on their activities and the impact that this will have on all layers of society. Yes, whether your room is at top deck or bottom deck, it is still the same hull.

... the script introduces a twist in the time travel genre but somehow this twist falls flat. That which causes the change is an allusion to a famous example in Chaos Theory. Given recent events in the US, there is some kind of synchronicity going on here. The movie was chosen to be release in September, right after Katrina.

The real tension in the movie is not found in the race to set things right. So far, the changes have impacted the earliest forms of life first, starting with plants, insects, … . What will be the impact for humans? Big statement made here. What Edward saw when Catherine wiped the glass plane at her apartment becomes a rather witty device to make a commentary on man’s stewardship of the Earth.

rest at
http://themoviesihavewatched.blogspo...eview-and.html

I just this last night and I didn't like it one bit. If Spielberg or maybe Lucas took the idea, it could have been a fairly good flick. But that's a different story. I agree wholeheartedly about the effects. They were absolutely horrible.

I am the Nightrider!
I was pretty siked when I heard that Ray Bradbury's short story "A Sound of Thunder" was being made into a movie. It was also three years ago when I heard that, when Pierce Brosnan was to lead the film under the direction of Renny Harlin ("Die Hard 2", "Cliffhanger"). The film went through some severe changes during production when Brosnan left to do "Die Another Day" and Renny Harlin went to pursue another project. Peter Hyams, who is no stranger to sci-fi with "2010", "Outland" and "Timecop" on his resume, was hired in place of Harlin with Edward Burns now in the lead role. Filming commenced during the big 2002 floods in Prague...but nothing was ever said about it again.

Well, with no publicity and hardly any advertising and an extremely low distribution run, "A Sound of Thunder" made its way to U.S. theaters on September 2 of this year. I had forgotten all about it, until I saw the lineup for September's releases in August. Luckily, a theater very close to my house was playing it and I got a chance to see it...even though the odds were already against it being a much delayed production, whose production company went bankrupt during filming and to put icing on the cake, many critics were already panning the living f*ck out of it (but this is what I think of critics , not one critic ever changed my mind on whether I wanted to see a flick or not).

The year is 2055, time travel has been perfected and Charles Hatton (Ben Kingsley) is using it to make millions. Hatton has created a labatory in which he sells hunting safaris in the jurassic period. The client would be sent back in time millions of years to hunt a dinosaur with the aid of Hatton's scientist team led by Travis Ryer (Edward Burns). This is also a tricky process, where as nothing modern can go back in time, not even bullets. To kill the dinosaurs, they use nitro-glycerin guns that shoot ice bullets at full speed. Also, the team cannot step off the portal path; no signs that anyone was ever there are to be left.

During a "session", something goes wrong where the nitro guns don't work and chaos erupts. As the team finds a way to kill the dino, a dirt footprint is seen on the portal path as they go back...someone stepped off.

Back in present time, Ryer realizes that something is wrong, plants are 100 times there normal size and animals are morphed into other forms of different species; ex: giant apelizards. With help of scientist Sonia Rand (Catherine McCormack), who helped Hatton and Ryer perfect time travel (but disapproves with everything Hatton has done with it), Ryer realizes the Earth is going though transitions every 12 hours. Plants and animals have evolved into something else, it's only a matter of time until mankind evolves. So Ryer and Rand & company must find out what exactly happened during that session and try to go back and stop it from happening...which is easier said than done.

I liked "A Sound of Thunder," only one big problem...the effects are sh*tty. Actually it's more like, a few effects are good and some are just thrown together and extremely rough (the dinosaur and the futuristic exteriors are horrendous). Plain and simple, they ran out of money! What a shame, because even though "Thunder" rips off many better films and can get cheesy in places, I was entertained...it's the work of Bradbury and his theory on how one small thing can change the face of evolution is wild. And the flick does hold your interest, it's far from awful.

Another small problem I had was Edward Burns. He's a decent actor and was good in "Saving Private Ryan," and "Confidence"...but here is acting is too wooden and unbeliveable, it felt like he didn't belong. This role was written for Brosnan! It's a shame this movie got caught up with problems...it's a b-flick by standard...but an enjoyable one.

Plus, I'm a sci-fan and have a high tolerance for b-flick schlock.

UJ